cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-threading Accordion Blinds

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad

I have accordion style window blinds in my 2022 Jayco Jay Flight trailer. The thread broke so I have taken it down to re-thread it. I hope someone here has done this before. This blind has four strings that attach to 2 springs at the top. I see at the bottom the threads cross. The 2 left threads go out the right side and vice versa. Both spring threads were broke at the top so I'm not sure how they go at the top. Do the inner threads join on one spring and the outer threads join on the other or is it overlapping with threads 1 and 3 joining on one spring and threads 2 and 4 joining on the other?

I have a bonus question. My blind and outer cover attach to the ceiling with about 7 screws. 4 are are little longer than the other 3 screws. I lost track of which holes are for the longer screws. Does anybody know? If not I may try long/short/long/short. There's not a lot of difference, but 4 are a little longer.

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad

Nobody replied.  I got it done.   It wore me out holding the valence in place putting it back up.  You can close or delete this thread.  Over and out.

View solution in original post

probably no one has done it haha.  why don't you tell us how you did it so there is a reference if some one else has to do it.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad

For rethreading materials and tool see

Fixmyblinds.com 

They have what you need and some videos are available through them and/or YouTube   

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I did it once too. It was a "PITA". ๐Ÿ˜ 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Years ago when we fulltimed in our Phaeton, my husband often had to restring the blinds. He said they worked like a "parallel slide." Something from his drafting days. When he got tired of restringing the 6' blind, he took them all out and put in regular blinds. . . something like the MCD shades, but ours were much better quality. Fast forward, my husband left this world, I sold my Phaeton and kept my little 22' motorhome. I had to restring two of the blinds in there, but they were much smaller and I got the job done. Most useful? YouTube videos. There are many for restringing those blinds. I picked one that had lots of pix and details.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad

Nobody replied.  I got it done.   It wore me out holding the valence in place putting it back up.  You can close or delete this thread.  Over and out.

probably no one has done it haha.  why don't you tell us how you did it so there is a reference if some one else has to do it.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I've done it. In fact I have one now waiting for a good day to lay it out.

Did mine. It works fine but it's a pretty simple one: 4-string nightime only

Actually I have a second window blind that I am doing today.  But it will be easier for several reasons:

1 - I know how it's done after doing it once

2 - The blind is not as high as the first one

3 - The blind is not as wide (a little less heavy)

4 - It's not behind the table like the first one

I should have removed the table during the first one, because it's easy to remove, but I was using it as a work surface and didn't think of that obvious move at the time.  Anyway, I'm almost done and it's going easier, but I wouldn't say easy.

I'd reply more often if this new software didn't log me out so quickly.  Here's a video that helped me.  It's not exactly like my Jayco but it's similar.  The hardest part was getting the decorative border back up.  It's a tight squeeze and holding it above my head for 10 minutes while I got the screws lined up and screwed in felt like forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7xSEmOO8E

In this video, we will cover the step-by-step process of restringing a large pleated compression window shade that is common in RVs. Each of the RVs I've owned has had these shades. Over time these strings fray and end up breaking with use. This large window has four strings that keep the tension

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad

I just noticed that there are 4 holes that go into the ceiling.  So applying my college degree to this situation I bet the 4 long screws go into those holes.  I'm brilliant.