cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mice in RV living quarters

north_mom
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 26' Sunseeker RV. When winterizing it last Fall I removed all food, paper products and extra clothing. This past spring I discovered evidence of mice, including an area they chewed in the mattress cover I had left on the bed (the only piece of cloth that remained over winter to protect the mattress). We had put dryer sheets everywhere and a couple of pouches of something that was supposed to repel mice, to no avail. I cleaned out the living area thoroughly then we discovered that they had nested in the "garage" area - the big storage area at the back of the RV under the bed. That area was full of mice droppings.
I did a search for "mice" here and only found advice for how to keep them out of the engine compartment - AFAIK they don't go there, just the living area. What can I use this year to keep the little buggers out? I don't like using poisons as that often adversely affects wildlife. TIA!
13 REPLIES 13

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
We noticed one mouse turd on the counter a Couple days after winterizing and storing our 5vr a few years ago. We immediately cleaned everything. I then stuffed all the holes under the cabinets where pipes or wires came through with s/s scouring pads and spray foamed them in place. We have never had mice inside the living quarters since. But...they were getting in the walls and ceiling space. I had screened all the entrances to the cargo area with 1/4โ€ wire mesh. But I missed one spot in the battery compartment. So now we have an $11,000.00 insurance claim on it. At the end of this season we are taking it in to a remediation shop where they will remove the roof and front panel and who knows what else to clean it.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
When it comes down to mice in the RV or adversely affecting wildlife, I go with happy wife equals happy life.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I tried everything under the sun to no avail and I absolutely detest mice in an RV.

It wasn't until I got under the RV after dark, with all lights on inside and all cabinet doors open was I able to cease all mice activity inside.

Used a whole can of spray foam to fill all crevices where interior light was shining through.

The rodents actually filled my ductwork with nest to where there was no air movement.

Not a single mouse stirring in over 8 years.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's one problem I do not have thanks to my housemate Alex.. about 25 pounds of Maine Coon Tom Cat. For some reason mice don't seem to want to come play with him. Can't think of why. ๐Ÿ™‚
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
Peppermint oil, not extract, worked for me. Get some glad sandwich zip lock bags. Use a hole punch and punch several holes in the bag. Soak 10 or so cotton balls in the oil and seal in the bag. Put in all the areas that you see mouse activity. I did this one time maybe 5 years ago and have not had a mouse problem since.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Correction on the soap brand. It's Irish Spring not Dial.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I laughed when my wife first suggested to use "Dial" bar soap. But it works!
My RV is parked in the barn and since placing a 1/2 bar soap in each compartment and inside the unit we've not have a tell tale mice poop. It's been several years now. Now in my shop is a different story.

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
I bought rodent repellent at lowes, so far seems to work really well, better than anything else I have tried, don't think you are supposed to spray it inside, but I did. If this didn't work, I was going the bucket of water trick.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œFresh cab?โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œChecking traps would be challenging through the winter months..โ€

Yes but do you wish to solve this issue or not without poisons?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have a rv and boat in the pole bldg, rv is 2007 boat a 1993 ,we use peppermint oil and fresh cab have never had a problem.

north_mom
Explorer
Explorer
We store at home. I did put out some regular "head chopper" mouse traps when I was cleaning things up, caught a few that way. Checking traps would be challenging through the winter months when temps are below freezing and getting into the "garage area" would be buried in snow, we live in Canada.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Do you store at home or at a storage facility? If at home mouse traps both head choppers and sticky traps. You can check them regularly. A little more difficult at a storage facility but doable.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu