Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd just like to state the obvious: Factory RV mattresses are really, really,
bad.
30 REPLIES 30

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Have had 2 trailers in the last 3 years, 5 beds in total and every single one of them had a new foam Tempur Pedic matress from Amazon ASAP. I think we slept on a factory mattress one time and swore them off.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

mwachel
Explorer
Explorer
We just use an Amazon basics 10" mattress and it is just as comfy as our bed at home. ??

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is also very easy to buy quality foam in different densities. There are plenty of online dealers. It is easy to build your own mattress by buying the correct depth and density of foams for the base and top layers. The downside is you need to trust the dealer recommendations.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
That said I still love my foam mattresses. They are made with a relatively thick and firm base layer and a thinner upper layer of softer foam. They are also made of newer style foams that are not hot and breathe. I will never buy another mattress with springs or a mattress sitting on a spring base. Quality models start out Ok but all of them sag within the first year or two of use. They all have foam toppers so again the comfort depends on the choice of foam materials.

I have not found any foam mattresses that are as comfortable as a quality spring mattress. As for sagging, I found the opposite. My older spring mattresses still have zero sag. Can't say the same for older foam I've had. In my RV I have a hybrid. It's foam layers on top 1/2 and springs in the bottom. Far better support that 100% foam. Time will tell if it sags. I've had it 1 year and no sag so far.

Definitely depends on the type and quality of the foam. A lot of foam these days is garbage. Plus different shape/weight peoples needs are different. This I also found with foam is there's no movement transferred to the other persons side. Big bonus for my wife as I'm a spinner and double her weight.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
That said I still love my foam mattresses. They are made with a relatively thick and firm base layer and a thinner upper layer of softer foam. They are also made of newer style foams that are not hot and breathe. I will never buy another mattress with springs or a mattress sitting on a spring base. Quality models start out Ok but all of them sag within the first year or two of use. They all have foam toppers so again the comfort depends on the choice of foam materials.

I have not found any foam mattresses that are as comfortable as a quality spring mattress. As for sagging, I found the opposite. My older spring mattresses still have zero sag. Can't say the same for older foam I've had. In my RV I have a hybrid. It's foam layers on top 1/2 and springs in the bottom. Far better support that 100% foam. Time will tell if it sags. I've had it 1 year and no sag so far.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
Can't stand memory foam type mattresses. I'm another that prefers a quality spring or spring hybrid. .....

I certainly agree on disliking memory foam mattresses. There is nothing worse than the expensive TempurPedic brand which many stores feature because of the high cost and profits. The old fashioned memory foam like the TempurPedic has poor support. After a few minutes your body sinks into the mattress and creates a deep impression. I sleep on my side and move a few times during the night. That is nearly impossible if you sink into a hole. The TP mattress is also hot and does not breathe.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mattress we've had in our TC for 10-11yrs is also our guest room mattress. I fold it and bring it in after each trip. It's a 4" thick, firm 100% latex rubber (Not "contains" real latex, but it's an actual real latex foam- very important distinction). It was $129cdn from IKEA!!!!! Queen size. Blood amazing! Firm but not too firm. I never create a crater in it that my wife would roll into. Warm(with foam board under the mattress)
If the mattress is S**t in the new camper, I'll put the good old IKEA one in there.
Likely one could find one somewhere. IKEA doesn't sell this particular one anymore, but they have others if you're looking for a good mattress at a cheap price.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Can't stand memory foam type mattresses. I'm another that prefers a quality spring or spring hybrid. I replaced the cheap horrible mattress in our RV with one from a local manufacture. They made a short queen hybrid (spring/foam) which is very comfortable. Much better.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
YES but at least they are cheap.

I'd rather my RV cost $500 more than sleep on the @#$@#$ mattress that came with it.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Our other 5th wheel......had a queen and we replaced with a Serta i Comfort......and was great.........then bought a new 5th wheel with a king bed........and first thing we did was abought a new king i Comfort.....has worked perfect for us.
cpaulsen

juliadavid
Explorer
Explorer
I also have memory foam in my RV.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
I'd just like to state the obvious: Factory RV mattresses are really, really,
bad.

LOL! The mattresses in our two pop-ups were far better than the mattress in our Endura. We put a foam pad on top and it was fine.

LOL, we put memory foam under the bunk ends. The mattresses in the pop up were "heated" and so nice at night... We loved those as long as you had the memory foam under them...if not, you felt the board.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The best mattress I remember was when I was young. As her parents and those before they made their own beds and ticks.I remember the rope bed and frame and the thick feather down tick. She got a iron bed frame later then a brass one. She hated the brass one because she had to polish it along with a full days chores of what was essentially a 1800s and prior homestead. I didn't weigh as much obviously then and just lying on that bed was heaven. Never did sink in it seems. Sleep came easly nestled on a cloud. Of course at that age I could have slept on a crosscut saw edge. She hated having to unsew the tick, however often, and washing all that down in the big iron pot, that had to cut wood to feed the fire for. She dried the down in bags made of(brain freeze) that coarse thin cloth used to strain stuff through like grapes for jelly on the clothes line after she had spread them on a sheet in the grass for almost all the moisture to evaporate. Never had any problem with bugs in the grass getting into it,far as I know.Could have been the the home made lye soap, perhaps.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
All mattresses suck these days....

That is not the way I see it. Those old spring mattresses were horrible and that is when they were new. After a short period of time they sagged.

Twenty years ago we bought a King sized foam mattress from Costco. It is still doing great with no signs it will ever need to be replaced. It is multilayered and the top gives it just enough softness and the inner layers give the support without sagging.

We also bought an 8" Queen sized foam mattress for the camper. After 2 years of full timing and many months of part time use it is also like new. I actually like it better than the way more expensive Costco brand. I believe it was $300 delivered from Overstock but that was over 10 years ago. It is a Serta or Sealy, I forgot which.