cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IH-5 through Seattle options?

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I will be travelling through Olympia in route to Anacortes area about mid-day on a July Saturday. My last time through a few years ago I used IH-405 mid day Sunday, expecting light traffic, and it was white knuckles all the way. Pulling a fiver. Any preferred route from a local? Thanks, bill
10 REPLIES 10

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I drive Seattle at anytime during the day, just depends on when I get there. Do as said above leave 2 lanes to your left and you will be fine. 405 is the pits

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not touch I405. Go through Seattle mid day (noon) if week day or late at night (after 7PM) and drive straight up I5 to 20. If weekend you can go any time.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
WSDOT has a lot of good informaton, maps, times and cameras. Google Maps also handles the area well. You can choose a future travel time; future times are a range, since exact conditions will vary. But it highlights common tight spots.

I5 won't have the heavy downtown oriented traffic (unless there's a game), but Saturday thru traffic can still be heavy. 405 isn't much different. There is a freeway alterternative using 167 that bypasses the core Tacoma traffic, though it still hits a tight spot around Renton.

For minimal traffic, you could take 101 north to Port Townsend, and then the ferry. That ferry is short, but reservations are strongly recommended.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Check a traffic flow map.

https://www.wsdot.com/traffic/seattle/default.aspx

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're not in a hurry and might enjoy a ride thru the country, here is an option that is 22 miles/34 minutes longer than I-5 thru Seattle:

I-5 North to SR18 East to I-90 West to SR203 North to SR2 West to I-5 North SR20 West.

Good Luck
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Check a traffic flow map.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been going thru Seattle only on weekends {sundays} early and haven't had many slowdowns. Guess I have been lucky for the last 60 plus yrs useually in Aug. I prefer I 5
samsontdog:o:W

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I think that I-5 is the easiest. Be sure that you leave 2 lanes to your left when you see the sports stadiums on your left when entering Seattle.

I've found that I-405 can be congested especially with toll only lanes on the left.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Y-Guy
Cutting off at I-405 is a tad bit better, sometimes, the plus is that you don't have all the craziness going through downtown Seattle. But I agree with Tom/Barb on the times.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I-5 thru the Seattle is best during the late evening, or early in the morning on the weekend.

Best drive is 101 and Port Townsend. and the ferry, then Highway 20.

say hi when you pass the house 🙂
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.