cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with U-Haul refill. Time replace my propane tanks?

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
My truck camper has 20 lb upright removable propane tanks. There are a few dings on the tanks with some minor rust in the ding. I needed propane while in Las Vegas and found a local U-Haul and she said that she shouldnโ€™t fill it because of the ding. But she filled it anyway because she knew it would become an argument if she didnโ€™t.

I saw the same thing on the U-Haul website that they wonโ€™t fill tanks with surface damage or if flaws have been painted over. Of course I can (and probably should) sand and paint over the dings, but that wonโ€™t help for U-Haul.

I have spent hours on google searches trying to understand if I need to replace these tanks. With no luck because it keeps popping up other topics. One thing that did pop up (and causes problems in the searches) is that the horizontal permanently installed tanks are much thicker so some rust isnโ€™t a problem. But the 20 lb upright removable propane tanks are thinner, and it is unclear if U-Haul is being overly cautious or if a few dings actually are a problem.

Seems a new tank is around $30 each, plus I would need to find a place that knows how to purge the new tank. Also I am not clear if tanks for BBQs from a local store are good enough for RVs, or if you want a better quality.

I doubt if it is necessary to replace the tanks but it is a problem if I drive through a city (and city traffic) to a propane fill place and they refuse to fill the tank. On the interstate I fill up at Pilot / Flying J and they donโ€™t question it. But off the interstate sometimes U-Haul is the easiest (or only) local option for tank refill, and if they give me a hard time that is a problem.

The tanks are 5 years old with a few dings. Is it time to replace the tanks?
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas
32 REPLIES 32

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I use exchange cylinders when certification lapses and when refilling is less convenient. The only problem was when I picked up a tank that was nearly out of date, and needed to exchange it once more when empty.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
bobbolotune wrote:
(I am surprised that some responses said they use cylinder exchange. I have always assumed that I should use tanks that I have owned since new so that I know they have been carefully handled. Which can be a pain because propane refill can be harder to find than exchange.
And I'm surprised you don't see that as a good deal.

Your original post was needing a serviceable tank, which propane exchanges will provide you. They aren't selling junk, their tanks are certified and fine, just not brand new in most cases, but I have found some pretty nice tanks from time to time. I have never had a propane place refuse to fill them.

The subject has drifted off to just propane.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The only safe legal way to fill DOT portable cylinders is by WEIGHT. That said there are variations in the sale of LP
1. Some LP fillers sell by POUND(gallons) only. You only pay for the Pounds(gallons) they put in your tank
2. Some fill by TANK only. They charge by the full tank regardless of how much LP they put in----A 20 pound tank x dollars---A 30 pound tank x dollars
3. So by gallon only you only pay for what they put in
4. BY TANK, if your tank still has LP you are paying full price regardless of how much(or little) they actually put in the tank.
5. Last, COST and convienance is a variable. How much time or Gas money are you going to spend to get to that LP gas filler station? If close then refill, but if it is a lot of miles and time then use a exchange service. Doug

I use a by the pound(gallon) refiller. AND it is less than a mile from me.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Do propane tank refill places refill exchange tanks? I always assumed you need to bring an exchange tank back to an exchange placeโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

As long as the exchange cylinder has a โ€œnormalโ€ OPD valve, it can be refilled anywhere. Itโ€™s your tank, you can do what you want with it. As I mentioned though, at one time Blue Rhino was trying to lock you into exchanging tanks with them by using a proprietary valve. I believe it was called a Trisafe2, and it took a magnetic โ€œkeyโ€ to unlock it for refilling. And then thereโ€™s their practice of โ€œshort fillingโ€ that I donโ€™t like.

Some like exchange, some donโ€™t. Iโ€™m on the โ€œdonโ€™tโ€ side.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought two used outdated 20lb tanks on Craig's List and exchanged the worst one at Menards. Picked out a brand new tank. I always have my tanks refilled so I get the maximum allowed. Tractor Supply is usually the cheapest and they refill.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Do propane tank refill places refill exchange tanks? I always assumed you need to bring an exchange tank back to an exchange place.

Around me, exchanging a tank costs more than refilling one, and the exchanged tank is only 3/4 filled. After the initial cost of having to buy a tank, and if you use a lot of propane, refilling is a substantial cost savings.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I never use cylinder exchange. I want to keep mine, thank you.

Blue Rhino and the other exchange companies have admitted that they underfill the cylinders for โ€œsafetyโ€ reasons. Being a cynical person, I say itโ€™s more likely they underfill them for profit reasons. At one time, they were also using valves that couldnโ€™t be refilled by normal propane suppliers. It took some type of magnetic gadget in order to refill their cylinders, and of course only Blue Rhino had it.

Atlanta Urinal-Constipation article on this subject

I donโ€™t participate in underwear exchange programs either. Keeping those too. ๐Ÿ˜›

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You do what you feel is good for you. But i will say the exchange tanks are fine. There is no records of then failing more then a reguler tank. ( and that os rare to non existent, so maybe the rules keep that from happening. And for the most part propane is pretty darn safe if used corectly. The most problems people have are with the conection lines. Have fun.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m the OP.

I took another look at the โ€œdingโ€ on the tank that U-Haul complained about. I think it would more properly be described as chipped paint than a dent or damage. Then it rusted a little where it chipped. There are small impressions less than the size of the head of a pin. Maybe it was set down on a rock at some point.

The lesson learned might be to inspect the tanks after each camping trip and use some touch up paint on any chipped paint.

However, the U-Haul website says โ€œIf a propane tank is uncertified, damaged... excessive rust or ***has been painted*** violates national propane gas rules and policies and will not be refilled.โ€. So it is unclear if touch up paint will get you grief when trying to refill.

I have gotten tanks from cylinder exchange for the BBQ in vastly worse shape than these tanks. Tanks with paint over rust then the paint chips so the tank is covered in rust.

(I am surprised that some responses said they use cylinder exchange. I have always assumed that I should use tanks that I have owned since new so that I know they have been carefully handled. Which can be a pain because propane refill can be harder to find than exchange. Maybe for a trailer where the tanks are outside, but in my truck camper I sleep literally a few feet from the propane tanks so I am hesitant to trust propane exchange.)

I am sure that my tanks are ok. On the other hand, I looked it up and the local U-Haul sells new tanks for $35, so for $70 I can have two new tanks and not worry about it. Iโ€™ll probably do that.

Thank you for the help! I was getting nowhere with google searches about this topic.
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Take them to any exchange place like Blue Rhino, located at stores everywhere.

and only get 15 lbs of propane instead of 20lbs

Lets see, They shortchange you $10 worth of LP but you get a certified tank that costs on average of $50. So, instead of paying $50 for a new cylinder you pay an extra $10 for lost LP and come out $40 ahead. I guess that is NOT a good deal to your way of thinking. Doug

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weird, I see that now that I look for the rulemaking. What's odd is phmsa still has PDFs up with the 10 year timeframe.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
It's actually 10 years with recertification extending the expiration 5 years for a visual inspection with 2 recertifications allowed or a 10 year extension for a proper pressure test with both giving a maximum life of 20 years.

For many years, it was 12 years. Then about 4 years ago, the DOT issued a Notice Of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) making changes including reducing the time to 10 years. Apparently the propane tank industry watchdog organization was asleep, as there were no comments on the NPRM during the 90 day comment period. As soon as the rule went into effect, the industry went bananas and the DOT issued a new NPRM to change the time back to 12 years. At the same time, the Administrator of DOT issued a "do not enforce" letter to DOT employees to not enforce the 10 year rule, and after the second 90 day comment period the second NPRM became regulation changing it back to 12 years. I just recently looked in the eCFR and indeed it is 12 years for the particular DOT classification that covers typical propane 5 to 40 lb cylinders.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
2oldman wrote:

But you get a tank that is usable, and propane for 15$ better then 30 for a new tank and a fill.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote: