cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling dually tires

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
I'd have solid valve extensions installed but I've read they are incompatible with the built in TPMS system on our 2021 E-450 class c.

I'm looking for a way to add air without needing to remove the wheel covers.
I bought an extension chuck but it still interferes with the cover.

Are there any that are angled better that would work without having to remove the covers?
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath
12 REPLIES 12

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
When I had a dually MH, I got my replacement valve stems from Tire-Man.

He passed away a couple of years ago.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had a dually MH, I got my replacement valve stems from Tire-Man.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my local truck/auto repair shop install the dually stem kit and they didn't have any problem. It's a shop that works on large commercial trucks and I have them do any work required on the F53 chassis, except they can't do a front end alignment.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never seen the above kits before. Interesting solution to an age old problem. I'm getting too old to be humping heavy wheel and tire combos around. Thanks for the link. Certain tire machines may have issues with these, you may have to install them after the tire is on the rim to avoid shooting them into the wall or the installer.
Puma 30RKSS

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dually valve stem kits

Get dually one piece valve stems and you will solve your problem. I was having several problems with the rear axle tire stems on my Bay Star, so I broke down and bought the dually kit and had one piece valve stems installed on both inner and outer rear axle tires. Now, maintaining air pressure and using TPMS sensors is easy. The dually stems are a bit pricey, but well worth it!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to use a dual angled chuck like pictured above and the pipe extension for the lug nut cover wrench.. Till I got Dually valves put in.

I know of NOT TPMS system that the Dually valves would be incompatable with

There are basically 3 types of TPMS systems
One is a sensor inside the rim, mounted in a different hole than the Valve stem
one screws on the end of the stem
And one uses the ABS sensors to sense a wheel turning faster than it should.

Dually Valves should not have a problem with any of these.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

IAMICHABOD
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Spec sheet
it says this "(TPMS; excludes spare; DRW)"
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I find the chucks with the inner wheel end straight on rather than angled are more convenient than those with both angled. I suppose that may well vary with the specific wheel design you have. Either one can work, but might require more or less fiddling around to get a good seal, possibly including reaching around between the tires with the other hand to guide the chuck and valve stem into alignment.

Air-through valve covers are a big help; besides not having to unscrew the valve cover (and you really ought to use some sort of a valve cover), they effectively extend the stem a little bit and that little bit helps. I have Alligator brand ones and they seem very well made.

Thanks.
They do have air thru valve cover/caps.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I find the chucks with the inner wheel end straight on rather than angled are more convenient than those with both angled. I suppose that may well vary with the specific wheel design you have. Either one can work, but might require more or less fiddling around to get a good seal, possibly including reaching around between the tires with the other hand to guide the chuck and valve stem into alignment.

Air-through valve covers are a big help; besides not having to unscrew the valve cover (and you really ought to use some sort of a valve cover), they effectively extend the stem a little bit and that little bit helps. I have Alligator brand ones and they seem very well made.

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
madjack60 wrote:
They were both angled, takes a little practice

I have tried and tried.
This angle does not work.

madjack60
Explorer
Explorer
They were both angled, takes a little practice

madjack60
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a long chuck from amazon and a tire guage to match, they work fine. I don't have extensions on my duals