cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone Mountain campground

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe planning a trip to Stone Mountain in November, have read the reviews, just wondering which area is the one most would recommend

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
11 REPLIES 11

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Long, long ago someone had posted a list of the most level sites. We used it when making a reservation and it was a great site. I've tried a quick search and can't find the post now. If you have time, maybe some in-depth searches will find it.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
The loop I stayed on was rather steep and needed a LOT of leveling. On the other hand, the lakeside sites were great. The sites are also well-separated so you're not right on top of your neighbors. Bring a sense of humor, good levelers and excellent chocks!

Excellent advice! We have stayed at Stone Mountain many times over the years as we had friends who lived in that side of Atlanta and it was most convenient for visits with them.

I remember one time, a good many years ago, when we were assigned a site which required a great effort on my part to level our fifth-wheel. As I was struggling, a vehicle stopped on the roadway and a very friendly gentleman said, "I believe you could get a better site than that." I replied that I wished I could, but felt I should try the site to which I had been assigned. Turned out, he was the park manager and told me to to go back up to the office and get a list of sites that would be better from which I could choose. I remember the slip of paper on which those numbers were written. I took a look at those sites and selected one that was much better in every way from that original site.

Don't expect such an experience. It never happened again. But it helps to keep a good attitude and make the best of the situation in whatever park you are in. The need to level is certainly a part of the "character" of Stone Mountain, but it is still my favorite in the Atlanta area.

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed there in 2020. Heed the info about the flat/wide sites for big rigs. The loop I stayed on was rather steep and needed a LOT of leveling. On the other hand, the lakeside sites were great. The sites are also well-separated so you're not right on top of your neighbors. Bring a sense of humor, good levelers and excellent chocks!
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a word of advice. If you go into the Park, don't come in from the city of Stone Mountain. Narrow roads and low overpass. Come in from US 78 in what we call the front side. US 78 is a 4 lane interstate quality (there is a few strong curves in the area of the Park entrance) You will be much happier from there
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats all I want to see is the confederate sculpture before they figure how to tear that down to.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I went there in 2010 to see the relief sculpture. The campsite is well treed. I did not need amenities as I was only staying one night. I found it quiet. The sites are not particularly private.

I'd go again except for the long drive through the city (I was travelling NW to SE).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Honestly, I've been to the campground once, and won't go back, we live about 45 min south of it. We've been to the park a couple of times with friends that wanted to go, and never enjoyed it.
They have a couple of things for kids, but it's expensive for what it is, and crowded. It would be OK, it you want to be in the area for a game at the Dome or meetings downtown, but as somewhere to go for camping, I would not recommend it.
Lots of better campgrounds in North GA, but they will be hard to get into in November at this point.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also wondered about this as I am planning on going to Stone mountain, GA this fall. I see several campgrounds in that area. Which one are you referring to?

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Have heard that about the campground, but really want to go to the park. Donโ€™t see anything else close for camping

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It's been awhile since we were there but we found the site extremely undeveloped and poorly maintained.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are in a large rig, stay by the loop by the pool. Larger/flatter sites
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard