cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing old caulk after softening it

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on using goo-gone caulk remover to soften old caulk. Anyone have any feedback on that choice and removing old caulk? Thanks Doug
25 REPLIES 25

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brownleaf wrote:
Veebyes, I heard there was controversy about damage caused by the heat gun.enc With fiberglass do I have anything to worry about? Agreed this is a very inexact science.Doug

Yes, there is often a fine line between a useful tool working very well & that same tool doing damage. A pressure washer is another such tool.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
Mel Stuplich wrote:
Cummins12V98
Because the ROOF is where the most RV caulk needing removal is located

Little early for cabin fever up der in Cheeseland ainโ€™t it Mel?

Some guys get a little rowdy after you say "caulk" too many times.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Because removing this caulk on the side has proved to be so messy and inexact- peeling bad into the good causing more problems, for the rest of the side issues I am just going to spot add.With what I am doing right now, I am creating more probems than existed before. The already existing caulk is very tough-thats good, I leave it as is, because the cracks or pin size holes are so small that just adding should do the job. Doug

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes, I heard there was controversy about damage caused by the heat gun.enc With fiberglass do I have anything to worry about? Agreed this is a very inexact science.Doug

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is another 'no easy way' job.

I replaced a TV antenna a few years ago. It was a combo OTA/Satellite dish thing that was factory installed. Never did get a receiver for it & the omni directional OTA antenna was all but useless.

I have removed silicone & polyurethane on boats before so the same method was used on the antenna base. Very very carefully use a heat gun to soften the material & scrape it up as you go.

It takes some fudging around to get the heat/scrape method down but goes steadily once figured out.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Goo-gone sray gel is to liquidy, you have to wipe constantly to keep it from draining lower than the area you are softening. Next time I will use the DAP caulk remover assuming it is a real gel. Doug

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mel Stuplich wrote:
Cummins12V98

Little early for cabin fever up der in Cheeseland ainโ€™t it Mel?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brownleaf wrote:
I see that mineral spirits is a solvent and with a bunch of warnings yet it is reported to be useful in cleaning around caulk issues . Is it safe and wont remove siding coloring etc.? Thanks for all the replies Doug

HMMMM, are you stating your question is about the sides of the RV and NOT the roof???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mel Stuplich wrote:
Cummins12V98

OH really?????? Maybe if people would actually post what they are asking so people don't have to guess may help.

PLENTY of people want to know how to remove caulking in other places other than the roof.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Brownleaf wrote:
I see that mineral spirits is a solvent and with a bunch of warnings yet it is reported to be useful in cleaning around caulk issues . Is it safe and wont remove siding coloring etc.? Thanks for all the replies Doug

Mineral spirits won't eat into the finish of gel-coat, most all fully cured paints or powder coats.
Not is you use it for cleanup, you'll still need to use a different solvent or wash with soap to clean the surface prior to re-caulking. Mineral spirits/turpentine/paint thinner does leave an oily residue.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
plastic razor blades and/or plastic putty knife works for me after softening with DAP caulk remover on fiberglass.

I do have to try plastic razor blades one of these days. I'm pretty used to using a metal blade, but still have to be careful and the occasional nick or gouge is bound to happen.
The plastic ones seem to have their place with more delicate tasks.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of good "handles" if you use a razor blade.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
The roof curves down over the edge to the little gutters-that should call for reg caulk not self leveling right? Doug