cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route in WV

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best route to go from Spruce Knob in West Virginia to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland.

Google Maps sends me up 28 (and 33) turning left with 33, turning right on 32, up to 219.

My Garmin sends me up 28 (and 33) turning left much further on - on 42, turning right on 560, and finally hitting 219 much further north than Google's first choice.

According to Google the 2 routes are just 1 minute difference - and I'm not concerned with that.

What I want to do is go on the best roads - ones with good pavement and not too squirrelly, you know - ups and downs with switchbacks.

Anyone here with knowledge about those roads?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
7 REPLIES 7

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Get yourself a road map and look at where you want to go. All roads are about the same.

Get yourself a COMMERCIAL ROAD CARRIERS ATLAS to always be able to distinguish Truck Routes thru an area. Wider lanes, better shoulders, improved signage.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get yourself a road map and look at where you want to go. All roads are about the same.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we stayed at a state park years back. just great ,watched the bears come an go as they pleased. pretty lake.in a class B just go.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Camper445 wrote:
There are no interstate or 4 lane highways in that part of WV, either route will involve some grades and turns, it's WV. Personally I would use 219 as much as you can. During weekdays the obstacles will be slow moving log trucks and coal or gravel toting tri axles.
That's exactly why I'm asking - I'm leaning toward more of 219 myself. The Garmin has taken us on some pretty squirrelly roads so we don't exactly trust it for the best route. Thanks!

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Mayor30 wrote:
WE have been to Seneca Rocks and Canaan Valley State Park. But we were at both many years ago. I do remember coming down 219 pulling a 24 ft trailer. All I can tell you is that the roads were fairly good but I guess it depends on what size unit you have.
We'll be driving our B - so not a problem there - just want it to be a somewhat relaxing drive.

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
There are no interstate or 4 lane highways in that part of WV, either route will involve some grades and turns, it's WV. Personally I would use 219 as much as you can. During weekdays the obstacles will be slow moving log trucks and coal or gravel toting tri axles.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
WE have been to Seneca Rocks and Canaan Valley State Park. But we were at both many years ago. I do remember coming down 219 pulling a 24 ft trailer. All I can tell you is that the roads were fairly good but I guess it depends on what size unit you have.