cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Border crossings about to get even worse

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-california/story/2021-02-16/dhs-xray-border

If I have read this article correctly at some point every car a nd RV will have to be scanned. I can see lines of many miles and days of waiting!!!
14 REPLIES 14

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The large poles with a sort of bridge on top are not xray. They are Gama ray. When I do cross border trucking I go through them often. You cannot exceed 5 mph. Mexico has a variation of that device. It is truck mounted.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:
The agent wanted me to speed up but I didn't.

.....there is good reason to minimize biological exposure to high energy X-ray.

On edit: partly deleted "DHS' X-ray scanners could be cancer risk to border crossers" here-->

The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC, of "EPIC v. the NSA" fame) obtained the specifications on the San Ysidro genre of X-ray scanners through an Freedom of Information Act. Look it up. The document is partially redacted, of course. EPIC v. HLS. In 2016, EPIC v. TSA in DC Appeals Court link-->commenced in I believe 2017, on forcing TSA to allow passengers at airports to undergo full body pat-down as an alternative to backscatter AIT walk-through. In Europe, "passengers are given the right to opt out from a control with scanners and be subject to an alternative method of screening". And, further, "In order not to risk jeopardizing citizens' health and safety, only security scanners which do not use X-ray technology are added to the list of authorized methods for passenger screening at EU airports. All other technologies, such as that used for mobiles phones and others, can be used provided that they comply with EU security standards." link-->
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

playaboy wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
My brother is going to be driving from Cabo to Canada in a couple weeks. He sold his home there, going back to his home in BC.
He will be towing a fully loaded cargo trailer and importing a 70 pound dog...

Hard to say what he will encounter at the border. I hope it's a smooth journey.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can too, to help him.

I crossed at Mariposa yesterday with a trailer load of household goods. After a 45 minute wait to get to the CBP officer, it was less than 5 minutes to clear. Just answer the officers questions truthfully.

Here is a suggestion, unlock the trailers rear door before you get to the officer. Then when he/she asks you to open the rear door, you can tell then it is "unlocked for their inspection". They like that.

Anzalduas has installed x-ray machines for all personal cars to drive thru. They haven't started using them yet (January)

Good advice, thank you. I will relay that to him.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
I had to drive through the X-Ray machine at Lukeville, AZ with my 45' coach towing a truck. It was interesting because I was told to go through at some speed, I don't remember exactly but perhaps 10 MPH. It was faster than I was comfortable with given the narrow passage so I just did the speed I was comfortable with, about a walking speed. The agent wanted me to speed up but I didn't.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
From the article: "The legislation calls for DHS to report to Congress the status of the X-ray systems currently in use, the estimated costs of upgrading those systems to reach a 100 percent scan rate, and the anticipated impact on wait times for vehicles crossing the northern and southern borders. DHS has 180 days from the signing of the law to submit its report to Congress, which would make the report due approximately mid-summer. "

It doesn't sound like they are planning to start 100% scanning in 3 months, but to report to Congress what would be involved.

What is wrong with looking into it? If the technology becomes available to do it quickly, what is wrong with that? There could be some cost "saving" by not needing as many border patrol at the checkpoints for inspections.

Heck, if they can figure out how to do it quicker than what is done now, maybe the border crossings will actually speed up?

Won't know until it is looked into.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
My brother is going to be driving from Cabo to Canada in a couple weeks. He sold his home there, going back to his home in BC.

I crossed at Mariposa yesterday with a trailer load of household goods. After a 45 minute wait to get to the CBP officer, it was less than 5 minutes to clear. Just answer the officers questions truthfully.

Here is a suggestion, unlock the trailers rear door before you get to the officer. Then when he/she asks you to open the rear door, you can tell then it is "unlocked for their inspection". They like that.

Anzalduas has installed x-ray machines for all personal cars to drive thru. They haven't started using them yet (January)

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
This is old news, and an old US president.

It has not been implemented at this point in time, and although I read the Los Angeles times every day, it's the first I've read of it.

We have a couple of members who cross very regularly, even with cargo trailers, and so far, nothing.

Spot on. The new US president intends to just tear down the gates and checkpoints and install high speed pass thru lanes like they have on an EZPass toll road. It should be the pinnacle of convenience.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Even small ports such as Sherwood ND have been scanning vehicles for many years. I believe it started there about 2012.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The link says DHS has 180 days to report to Congress how much it would cost and impact on safe times. It won't happen if they read the report.

Talleyho69
This is old news, and an old US president.

It has not been implemented at this point in time, and although I read the Los Angeles times every day, it's the first I've read of it.

We have a couple of members who cross very regularly, even with cargo trailers, and so far, nothing.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Every vehicle, truck and freight train will be scanned if it is implemented.
That's how I read it.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Join the mob of illegals heading our way to crash our border, no scan. lol
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Back up or security? Your choice is? I choose security.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad