cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRP and Skyline Drive

jsparkscougar
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip along the BRP and to the Shenandoah National Park. We don't want to do an out and back trip. Looking for suggestions on how to go and come back a different route. We will be leaving and returning to Alabama. Thanks for your suggestions!
15 REPLIES 15

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Campgrounds fill up early in the afternoon in the fall with all the "Leaf peepers", so stop early.

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
We'd like to take at least part of the BRP/Skyline this fall. Since our fiver is 13'6" tall and 43' long, I think we'd prefer to leave it at home and use "other lodging" options... For those of you that have driven the route, what is there to offer in the way of B&B's or hotels/motels along it? Are the hotels/motels creepy run-down privately owned places or are they decent?

Another option would be for us to pull our horse trailer and use it as a mobile "tent" at campgrounds. It is ~32' long, but is only about 10' tall, so height isn't an issue. How well are CG's/RV parks scattered along the route?

Thanks!
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run it once a year and love it. I live at the top of the Skyline Drive so it is a back way home for me. THe access roads can be tricky but once you're on it you will be fine. Gear down and enjoy the view and stop and look too.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
tragusa3 wrote:
I live near it, so get to see it often. I wouldn't enjoy a week of driving it. It starts to numb you after a while....I would consider going from Cherokee up to about Linville Falls and spend more time in each area (Smokies, Asheville, Pisgah, Mt Mitchell, Linville Falls) with less time driving. You'll see some awesome sites, drive less, buy less gas and be more relaxed.

Sadly, It can be true. After a few days you may become numb to the breathtaking views, and the quiet relaxed driving speeds. Wild animals along the roadside, and the friendly folk of the mountains.

Also. IF you make it to Linville. You may as well go on to Boone, and Blowing Rock. It's only another 20 or so miles, and one of the best access roads. 321. Runs right back down to I-40. but then so does 221, 126, and 226, and 80. But you DO NOT want to come down 80, or 226.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I live near it, so get to see it often. I wouldn't enjoy a week of driving it. It starts to numb you after a while....I would consider going from Cherokee up to about Linville Falls and spend more time in each area (Smokies, Asheville, Pisgah, Mt Mitchell, Linville Falls) with less time driving. You'll see some awesome sites, drive less, buy less gas and be more relaxed.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry..Blue Ridge Parkway

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whats a BRP ?

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are pulling a 5th wheel be aware some tunnels are not as tall on the sides as they are in the middle. Also like another post mentioned, many of the access roads leading to and from the parkway would be a nightmare for a 5th wheel. Once you are on the parkway generally speaking there is only one place I can think of you should use caution. Mile marker 75 you will be at the highest point on the BRP in Virginia, 15 miles later you are at the lowest point at the James River near mile marker 60!! You will see a 3000 ft elevation change in 15 miles. Brakes and transmissions take a beating here if you are not familar with mountain driving. The speedlimit on the parkway is about 35 so plan on driving slow. Also a few of the pull outs for sceinic overlooks are dead end and if you are pulling a trailer it's easy to get into trouble turning around. However most overlooks are pull through and are no problem for any vehicle.

This is a beautiful drive and you should not be intimidated by it. However good planing and knowledge is essential.

jambo101
Explorer
Explorer
After crawling along the 550 mile twisty BRP for the best part of a week you may enjoy just returning home on the interstates, maybe throw in Natchez Trace.
"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful where you try to get on the BRP. Many of the access roads are NOT RV friendly. Steep, narrow, crooked, with very tight turns. If you enter from big cities like Roanoke not a problem.

If there is a warning sign at the entrance, believe it. Once on the BRP, not a problem.

A very worthwhile stop is the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA. About 10-12 miles off BRP. Leave trailer at Peaks of Otter and day trip down.

The little town of Bedford lost 23 men on D-Day, the highest percentage in the country. The last "Bedford Boy" just died a year or two ago.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful drive but so very similar to what you will be experiencing on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would follow the parkway all the way to Charlottesville and get off to take in some wonderful attractions in Virginia. Drop off your 5th wheel at a campground and tour Thomas Jefferson's home near Charlottesville. Then pick up Route 29 toward Lynchburg and head south to Natural Bridge & Appomattox Court house. Virginia is a wonderful state for camping and historical sites. All the parks are well maintained.
Some of our favorite campgrounds are Meadows of Dan on the BRP & Hungry Mother State Park near Marion. Take your time in Virginia, there are many places to see!!

jsparkscougar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. We will only have 2 weeks. Glad to hear someone say the BRP would take a week. I have been planning a week for it. We will be in a pulling our 5th wheel...we like back roads and interstates. I guess we would like to use the interstate to get to the good scenic places.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the America's Byways resources - here's a short ride that looks like it will be on your way from Alabama to Cherokee, NC - http://byways.org/explore/byways/2282
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jsparkscougar wrote:
We are planning a trip along the BRP and to the Shenandoah National Park. We don't want to do an out and back trip. Looking for suggestions on how to go and come back a different route. We will be leaving and returning to Alabama. Thanks for your suggestions!

How long will you be traveling? The BRP is a good week, done right. You could do the BRP, and Skyline, then take off toward the OBX (Outer Banks), and ride 17 back down, detouring off to see the historic cities along the way.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers