Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devil's Backbone Brewing Company

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
In Lexington, VA. Anyone ever been?

Devil's Backbone Brewing Company

We are planning a trip there in the next couple of weeks, and I'm curious about the route there. It looks to have a few switchbacks once the route gets near the Blue Ridge Parkway in the mountains. Proposed route is:

US-501 N, US-29 N and US-60 W to N Wind Ln in South River

Anyone local to the area or familiar with those roads in/near Lexington that could chime in would be appreciated! And if you've been to their campground, how was it?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
4 REPLIES 4

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to their Outpost Tap Room and Kitchen location just off US-11 in Lexington. We stayed at Lee Hi Campground a few miles North on US-11. The campground is on a hill above the TA Truck stop. Truck and highway noise is not bad. There are about 10 pull through full hookup sites and some rather undefined water and electric sites. There are about 6 backin full hookup sites near the bathrooms that appeared to be longer term, The is also a long term area on top of the hill away from the short term sites.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Devils Backbone - Lexington VA, this is the satellite Location. Most of the brewing is done here and it has a small tasting room. The main(and original)location of the brewery is in Roseland VA. This is the location with the restaurant and the campground. There are also two other breweries, a ciderery and a couple of vineyards on the same road. More than 6 breweries in the nearby area.
Roseland can be reached from Lynchburg via 29N to 151N. There are some tight turns. If you are going to Lexington anyway and the brewery was a side trip, also check out Blue Lab brewing, downtown Lexington. Only campground of note in area is Natural Bridge KOA.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you coming from?

501 through SoBo up to Lynchburg isn't horrible, but it does have a
lot of logging trucks. Depending on your starting point 29 through Danville can be better.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been to the campground. Route 60 does have a lot of twists coming thru the mountains but tractor-trailers run it so I would think a MH would be okay.
However, I would skip 29 and just stay on 501 all the way to Buena Vista. 501 isn't exactly straight either but it's a lot better than 60 in my opinion.
Lexington is a nice, quaint, quiet little town. I live about 40 miles from there.