cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LA road conditions

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Today I drove west on the 210 thru LA to the 5 N. that is probably the worst hiway I've driven on in my LIFE. My 30' gasser rides like a lumber wagon anyway, but that road brought my wife to tears, literally. I've never been bounced around like that. It sounded like the MH was going to fall apart. Thank God there were several really slow backups that allowed us to catch our breath. And it was still pretty bad, even at 20 mph. Now I have to look forward to that heading from north of LA to San Diego.

Are all hiways thru LA hat bad? My original plan for heading to San Diego was taking the 210 east to the 15 S to avoid LA traffic, but now I'm considering taking the shortest route and just stay on the 5 all the way thru town. It may be slow, but I'd prefer to drive slow rather than be thrown around.

Any suggestions?
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
19 REPLIES 19

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE ON MY TRIP......

Well, the rough CA roads finally got me. Yesterday on my way from Buellton to San Diego my generator exhaust finally had taken all the beating it could stand. Both supports holding in place broke, leaving it attached only to the genny by 2 bolts. Luckily I was not going very fast when I heard something dragging so I was able to pull over and used bungee cords to hold off the ground for a few hundred yards before I could unbolt it. I finally made it San Diego with the genny exhaust lying on the floor inside the MH.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prodant139, I consider load range D TT tires essential on my smaller TT regardless of highway conditions.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
you evidently have not traveled the major highways in upper New York State. I have done that over the past few years and was down to 20mph on some. Trade-off between horns behind and cabinets vibrating loose.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I have "up-armored" my trailer tires to Load Range D for a 2000 lb. trailer precisely because the roads in Calif are so rough -- I know the tires are excessive, but I am trying to avoid damage. So far, so good . . . .

I swear that the 405 through the Valley did more damage to our trailer than any off-road trail that we've been on!

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

gery_L
Explorer
Explorer
I make the trip from Arizona to Oregon a couple times a year. Either with my rig or pulling my parents rig.
I will do anything not to travel along the Calif highways. Both gong Norht or South.
The Semi truck/trailer traffic is 24 hours a day along I-5 and that just tears up the roadway. All trailer activity has to be in the right lane. It is horrendous. Pot holes, jolt the heck out of the rig and passengers the whole length of Calif.... Then, if there by chance is an attempted repair, it is almost as bad....
And limited to 55mph

So, I am with Garry&Gayle. 395 is the way to go.
I Take I40 west thru Barstow, 58 to Kramer Junction and head north up the 395 all the way thru Susanville. Then head west over to I-5 around Shasta. Then into Oregon.
Scenery is much better, very little traffic and even though 2 lane in many cases, a much more pleasant trip.
Though winter travel could be interesting. In that case, I take 95 and go thru Vegas, into Reno then continue the 395.
Equipment, and passenger/Driver comfort is very appreciative……

Just my .02
Gery
2008 '40' Dutchman Victory Lane 5th wheel Toybox
2006 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Diesel 4x4 Dually

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Garry&Gayle wrote:
The roads will never get better with Gov. Moonbeam in charge.
Its going to be interesting to see where this ~$.20/gal tax he just approved will go....
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I drove the 210 from Redlands to the I-5 to N. of Bakersfield last week, never again from now on I'm going 395 to the 58 to the 99 when going in that direction. The roads will never get better with Gov. Moonbeam in charge.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 If you think the 210 is bad try the 10. Why CA drivers stay in the fast lane to avoid the potholes in the slow "truck" lane.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have "up-armored" my trailer tires to Load Range D for a 2000 lb. trailer precisely because the roads in Calif are so rough -- I know the tires are excessive, but I am trying to avoid damage. So far, so good . . . .
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
When people see my Alaska license plates, they like to ask me about making the trip and ask what the roads are like. Usually I ask them if they've driven in California around the LA and survived without breakdowns. Then I tell them if they survived those roads, they can make it to Alaska without a problem.............

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest traveling at 3am to avoid the traffic and get there as soon as possible. Just get it over with then rest at your destination. That's what we did until we got fed up with CA and moved to Texas. Best thing we ever did. Do not miss LA traffic and roads!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
Our next trip to LA area will be in hotels. Roads and traffic are horrible. Extreme garbage on the road sides. It's like LA doesn't even care.
So your trip to a hotel changes roads and traffic conditions. Are you coming in and traveling via helicopter?
Jeff - WA6EQU

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
We ran the 210 from the 57 all the way to the 5 in both directions over the weekend. The only place even close to what you describe is the Verdugo pass and as mentioned above it's a work in progress. Did you not notice all the K-Rail around Angeles Forrest
Jeff - WA6EQU

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Our next trip to LA area will be in hotels. Roads and traffic are horrible. Extreme garbage on the road sides. It's like LA doesn't even care.