cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV's and GPS - recommendations

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have a standard old TomTom VIA 1500 GPS system that I keep in the motorhome. I see that Camping World and Amazon have GPS designed for RV/Motorhome users. They are often of a larger (7") format, and have added information such as ease of access for certain fuel stops and RV Park/Campground information pre-loaded into the databases.

I have also noticed that they seem to demand a premium price. Are they really worth the extra cost? Since we've changed over to a Class A with toad, I have to get used to the idea that I will not be able to back up - so I must choose my path wisely.

If you feel that these RV specific GPS devices are worth the added cost, which one(s) do you feel offer the best value, ease of use, and provide useful information for the larger RV?

As a side note - I also have an updated Rand-McNally large format atlas and on order is the publication named "The Next Exit - 2017". I wish that I knew that they had in stock at most Camping World stores. I was at one last week, and could have saved $2. Oh well, live and learn.
12 REPLIES 12

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There have been a lot of GPS posts in the last few months and I think that the Garmin 770 has been favored by the RVing GPS crowd. More and more members have, however, admitted that any Garmin coupled with good paper maps are really as good as you can get.

If you plan your entire or even a good portion of your trips down to the grades you will encounter, a 770 is probably what you should look into.

The DW and I plan using paper maps and then change our plans as we learn during our travels about POIs we are interested in visiting. This usually happens in a campground or even talking to others while at some POI we wanted to see.

Option, you gotta have em!
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I have logged many miles using a Rand McNally Truckers GPS. It has a lot of options, you can set it up for car or truck, has a ton of info and most professional drivers use this GPS. Learn how to use it and you are good to go. I have used a lot of GPS units over the years and the Rand McNally is the best I've found. Stop at a Pilot or Flying J and check one out.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
It looks like the Garmin products get the nod from most users. I do have paper maps as backup in case I suspect the chosen route may be off the mark. But, as one person found out in a review I was reading, the GPS had actually planned their route around a low underpass not shown on their other device.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
I use an iPad, which I have with me anyways, with co-pilot.

You can't buy a cheap little unit for the end cost if you already have an iPad, and you certainly can't find too many with a nearly 10" screen at any price.

I agree as I use my IPad for flying using a DualGps for the actual GPS coordinates on map.
I do have a Garmin 760 for rv & works really well especially the pop up picture of the exits on the interstates.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Despite any kind of GPS you get - always back it up with a paper map. Our GPS tried to take us on some dangerous forest service roads in order to save a mile or two.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Our TomTom took us down some pretty scary roads until we figured out not to do shortest route, If you don't get one of the android apps, back up TomTom with a paper map or google maps/earth.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy All,
and thanks for the input. I do not have a smart phone of any flavor (AT&T GoPhone plan with Samsung Rugby flip). I have a few inexpensive, older Android tablets, but none of them are GPS enabled. I do not currently own anything Apple branded.

I do like the two TomTom GPS units we currently own. The VIA model has better lane guidance, but due to a SNAFU with having two separate accounts I lost the Lifetime Maps Update feature about a year ago. It still seems pretty accurate though, and if there is any question we just grab the other one which is updated quarterly. I also have the built-in GPS in our Wrangler Sahara, but the Magellan updates for that are more than what I could buy a new TomTom with lifetime updates for. So, that one hasn't changed since 2012. For our older Jeep Wrangler (YJ) I have an old (really old) Magellan Roadmate 2000. It has the best offroad navigation features I have found - it shows direction and distance to the nearest road or cross road.

wyocowboy00
Explorer
Explorer
Drycreek, I have a Magellan RoadMate RV9165T-LM that I bought from Camping World several years ago. My first question I would ask you is do you plan to use an Apple or PC computer to do the updates to your GPS? My experience has been that Magellan does no longer support Apple, but they send you to a 3rd party website now to get the updates. Other than that, the Magellan RoadMate is a good GPS. I recommend that if you do decide on the Magellan, download the full manual from their web site and spend some time getting very familiar with how it works and how to set it up properly.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased the Garmin RV770LMT for the motor home. It is a great GPS with all the latest information loaded into it. I really like the function of trip planning included. This unit provides me with everything I need to navigate from point A to point B. I am old fashioned as I do not own an I-phone or an I-pad. I still use my flip phone for calls and my Garmin for travel. The GPS also has Bluetooth built into it for my phone. Overall, I am very happy with the Garmin.
Safe Travels and Happy Camping!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As Jax said, I use co pilot and next exit but I bought a 10" RCA tablet from helmart for less than $100 and keep it in the truck. when we need online info just switch my phone on as a mobile hotspot and you have everything.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use an iPad, which I have with me anyways, with co-pilot.

You can't buy a cheap little unit for the end cost if you already have an iPad, and you certainly can't find too many with a nearly 10" screen at any price.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Also check out Garmin.