cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liberty Harbor RV (Jersey City) to Cape Cod

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for easiest Route with my Phaeton, towing. My best option looks to be Palisades Pkwy to 6 across the Bear Mountain Bridge and continue up 90 to I 84 to I 691 to I 91 to 2 to 395 to 195 in Providence and then on out.

Obviously can't go through the tunnel into Manhattan even I were certifiable, have no desire to spend my inheritance crossing TZ Bridge not that Bear Mountain is a lot less and cannot drive on the Taconic Pkwy - low clearance and not legal.

If anyone who drives this route has suggestions I am open. Plan to be doing this on Tuesday July 11. Traffic doesn't worry me too much. Am prepared to take my time.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526
11 REPLIES 11

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I just re-read my post and there's a typo. That last sentence should read

"From there, I-95 through Providence and pick up I-195, MA 25 over the Bourne Bridge."

The deal with the trucks passing isn't so much what speed you do. Traffic backs up behind the 2 trucks and everyone gets p*ssed. And they're really impatient in CT. Driving the speed limit drives them crazy and stoopid stuff starts to happen.

Have a great trip. If you need any supplies, stop at Major's RV and say hi. I'm working 10-4 tomorrow.

Jerry
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I-78W to the Garden State Parkway, to I-287 over the Tappan Zee. ($15 toll). From there you can stay on I-287 and pick up I-95. The construction is over in New Haven and the last few times I've been through there the traffic was reasonable.

In your OP you said you didn't want to do the TZ Bridge, but the route you've proposed is almost double the distance as the above. You'll end up spending that $15 in fuel avoiding the toll.

Another route is to take the TZ Bridge, I-684 to I-84, then I-691 to CT 66 to CT 9, and re-connect with I-95 in Old Lyme CT. This avoids the 2 lane portion of I-95 which is usually loaded with trucks trying to pass each other but governed at 65 MPH.

From there, I-95 through Providence and pick up I-194, MA 25 over the Bourne Bridge.

Getting ready to make the run tomorrow. I notice you refer to trucks governed to 65 mph. Not a real problem for me, we seldom exceed 63 MPH in the coach. Trucks may hate me 🙂 GSP to TZ to 287 to 95 looks like our crawl. Fewer road changes and fewer miles. We drive in LA traffic, it takes a lot to really worry me. Besides, it's my wife on first shift. Wish us a pleasant drive, even if it is unlikely
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
mkc wrote:
Yes - no RVs or any kind or anything in tow on ANYTHING labeled "parkway" in New York State.

I knew that, but I was thinking New Jersey didn't realize it was still a Pkwy when it entered NY, my bad.
Paul
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - no RVs or any kind or anything in tow on ANYTHING labeled "parkway" in New York State.
2017 LTV Unity

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! thank you all. Will definitely avoid Palisades Pkwy and take Garden State. I will have your alternatives in front of me when we survey actual traffic at departure.

I expected to get excellent response here and I have, as always.
Paul
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
I am looking for easiest Route with my Phaeton, towing. My best option looks to be Palisades Pkwy to 6 across the Bear Mountain Bridge and continue up 90 to I 84 to I 691 to I 91 to 2 to 395 to 195 in Providence and then on out.

Obviously can't go through the tunnel into Manhattan even I were certifiable, have no desire to spend my inheritance crossing TZ Bridge not that Bear Mountain is a lot less and cannot drive on the Taconic Pkwy - low clearance and not legal.

If anyone who drives this route has suggestions I am open. Plan to be doing this on Tuesday July 11. Traffic doesn't worry me too much. Am prepared to take my time.

I don't think you'd want to do the Bear Mtn Bridge and you CAN;T go up the Palisades...I would go from Liberty Park over to the Garden State Pwy...up to 287 then west on 287 to 87 north and cross the Hudson at the Newburgh Bridge...5 axles is $11.50....then 84 across Ct to 691 east to 91 north to Rt9 south to 95 south for 16 miles....this is how I would go.....I grew up in this area ,and have driven all you can think of here...this route,a little longer than the others but I bet at least an 1 1/2 hrs shorter from the traffic
An option would be Garden State to 287 east over the TapZ...then another choice up 684 to 84 OR 287 east to 95 and up that way....neither of these get my vote...have fun...Chuck
ps ,while in Madison go up Rt1 to Bill's seafood at the Bridge right on the Clinton/Westbrook town line..best seafood in Ct
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I-78W to the Garden State Parkway, to I-287 over the Tappan Zee. ($15 toll). From there you can stay on I-287 and pick up I-95. The construction is over in New Haven and the last few times I've been through there the traffic was reasonable.

In your OP you said you didn't want to do the TZ Bridge, but the route you've proposed is almost double the distance as the above. You'll end up spending that $15 in fuel avoiding the toll.

Another route is to take the TZ Bridge, I-684 to I-84, then I-691 to CT 66 to CT 9, and re-connect with I-95 in Old Lyme CT. This avoids the 2 lane portion of I-95 which is usually loaded with trucks trying to pass each other but governed at 65 MPH.

From there, I-95 through Providence and pick up I-194, MA 25 over the Bourne Bridge.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, NO NO NO to the Palisades Interstate Parkway.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT try the Palisades Parkway you WILL get stuck under a bridge. Garden State Pky is OK to I/287 (NY Thruway) over the Tappan Zee Brigde to 95 all the way to Providence RI then I/195 to MA 25 and onto the Cape. The new TZ bridge is one of the biggest construction jobs in the country and worth the look. Just avoid rush hours and it won't be too bad.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Per this link RV's are prohibited on the Palisades Interstate Parkway.

We went up to Lake George last week and from our home south of you we took the Garden State Parkway to route 17 to pick up the NY Turnpike (I87) at the NY border. You might want to check to toll for the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge, which is I84. We paid a toll of $6.65 when we got off the Turnpike at Saugerties for the night. The bridge is well south of that, so the Turnpike toll will be less. We don't tow though, so that would be a factor in your toll.

BTW, there are some traffic lights on route 17, but we didn't have much delay.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few years, but when we stayed there, staff was real helpful in giving directions to me heading North.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog