cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ney York road trip questions

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post.

Specifically, how is the drive along Lake Ontario between the Buffalo area and Rochester? Is it a scenic drive, and if so, is the whole drive scenic or specific parts of it?

We'll be in a car this trip, so hills, narrow roads, and going through small towns won't be a concern. Quaint small towns are always interesting to us.

Any other suggestions are always appreciated, maybe addressing the Thousand Island area.

We start in Buffalo and have just over a week to explore. Naturally, Niagara Falls is our first stop.

Thanks again to all.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress
9 REPLIES 9

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Route 18 can be a very pleasant drive. Hamlin Beach State Park is a great park on Lake Ontario just west of Rochester. I would also suggest a stop at Letchworth State Park which is inland. And, in the western end of the state, one of the most scenic areas with plenty of attractions is the Finger Lakes region. I would really recommend Watkins Glen and hiking the scenic gorge at Watkins Glen. Then, a stop at the Corning Glass Works.

We spent our working careers in western NY, so these suggestions are based on our travels...most of them camping with our two sons.

Have a great trip!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
DrewE wrote:
RVs are generally not permitted on parkways in New York or Connecticut.

Where do I sign the petition to have this restriction to our freedom of enjoyment reversed?:B
They have had too much excitement from the low bridges and sharp curves typical on the Parkways, which were built long ago...

Even the Lake Ontario State Parkway has a low bridge or two - I watched a guy with a fairly tall 5th wheel pull into the Rainbow Bridge Port of Entry checkpoint with 3 air conditioners missing. He said he never felt them go.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I don't have as much experience between Buffalo & Rochester, between Rochester & Oswego NY 104 has been "improved" and moved further inland. There are many county & town roads that are much closer to the lake, many with great views and a few lighthouses but you need a GPS that includes the smaller roads or county maps to find them & avoid lots of dead ends.

One area worth visiting is Chimney Bluffs State Park. It has some interesting rock formations along the shore near Sodus, NY. Don't know if you will get that far east.

This page has some photos from a trip between Niagara Falls & Oswego.

Chimney Bluffs State Park

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
RVs are generally not permitted on parkways in New York or Connecticut.

Where do I sign the petition to have this restriction to our freedom of enjoyment reversed?:B

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on it a few times. It's a generally pretty drive, but not scenic in the same sense as, say, California route 1. The lake views are rather limited. Since it's near the lake shore, there aren't any significant hills. Compared to the Thruway, it's an enjoyable but slower drive.

The Lake Ontario State Parkway at the eastern end towards Rochester was, the las time I was on it, in pretty rough condition (it badly needed repaving, as well as some general TLC in places). Although not a concern for you, this particular parkway is unique in that RVs and trailers are allowed, but not commercial vehicles (and there are some height limits that preclude some RVs from traveling). RVs are generally not permitted on parkways in New York or Connecticut.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
Oh the suspense!!!!

Drum roll please ......... (I need to go camping)

French
British
United States

Awwwww
figured it would be
BLM
Gay Pride
and Green Peace

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Oh the suspense!!!!

Drum roll please ......... (I need to go camping)

French
British
United States

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
They have replaced the western section I believe. It's a pretty drive. A quick stop is the light house & small museum in Golden Hill SP.
Other stops are Niagara Power Vista at the hydroelectric plant, with a unique view of the river. Then Joseph Davis SP for Disk Golf, if you are into that. And also Fort Niagara fir lots of history, the only fort under 3 flags. Do you know which ones?

WNYBob

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't driven that part of NY Route 18 (Seaway Trail) in several years, but at that time there was an exceptionally rough section of raised joints towards the western end. There are some good lake views along the way, but not many opportunities to pull off and enjoy them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate