cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quebec City Info

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I unexpectedly have the week of July 4th off (no I haven't quit my job yet!) and can travel from 7/5-7/9. No RV and we are currently booked in Bar Harbor but are looking for something different. Looking for ideas on things to do in Quebec City. We'll have 3 full days in the city. Like pretty much everything-markets, history, waterfront areas, architecture, shopping etc.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
11 REPLIES 11

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Good treatment comes from good interest by the visitor.

I have seen this time and again. I have found that using what French I have helps locals see my interest.

& doing things like trying to track down a place where I might hose down my camper or have someone in a vehicle service business wash my camper after I had done a gravel/clay road in rainy weather. Believe it or not it seems that folks will put that effort off. So, my request was asking for help the same as I would want at home. The gal who did the work wanted to make my camper so shining clean that I could take into a competition.

Again taking an interest in where I was at the time. For comparison, Baie Comeau, QC or Skagway, AK.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are that folks (tourists) from the US won't get poor treatment from the locals, but sometimes, as fellow Canadians, we have endured poor treatment. Quebec tends to be very "local" compared to other provinces or states.

Have seen it both ways-it's not restricted to one side of the border or one nationality.

We still haven't decided if we are going to stick to our original plan of Bar Harbor or go to Quebec. Drive time is minimally different. Just trying to decide if we want to go somewhere new or go to a tried and true spot.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are that folks (tourists) from the US won't get poor treatment from the locals, but sometimes, as fellow Canadians, we have endured poor treatment. Quebec tends to be very "local" compared to other provinces or states.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Times have really changed since the 70's & 80's. There never an excuse for poor treatment of visitors (or anyone).

Enjoy your visit and please report back on your experience. I'm sure things will go great.:C
... Eric

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe - I am sorry you ran into some ignorant Canadians. I traveled thru Quebec, (a LOT of the province) many times while working as a salesman - and NOT a French speaker.
I never had a problem - Thru the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Packer Backer may have more on this.

bbt
I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)

Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Barry, & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
somewhere around the 1st of July

Just a reminder 7/1 is Canada Day, the rough equivalent of our 4th. If you don't have reservations I'd highly recommend them.

What's funny in all the many times I've visited Canada, Quebec is the ONLY place I've had poor treatment from the locals. I tried to use my high school French-they laughed in my face and walked away. Some knew how to speak English and refused. This was in the mid-80s. I'm assuming things have changed since then. Won't use it as a deterrent in any case!

Douglas Adams

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:
PackerBacker wrote:
Quebec City's industry is tourism; lots to visit. I would recommend taking one of the city tours early in your visit, they cover all the places of interest. It will provide some insight into what you might want to see in more detail.

Language has never been an issue in Quebec City, they actually use more English than Montreal. Enjoy the history and culture.
Thanx for the advice on taking a city tour. Something I usually don't do but will for QC.

Am in Lunenburg, NS right now and heading to Sydney and then PEI. Am guessing I'll get to QC somewhere around the 1st of July and from there I'd like to visit Montreal. When we used to use the RV parks in Naples, we often would have fellow campers in the resort that were from the Prov of Quebec and I'm not sure I ever heard any speak anything but French - even "good morning" so I'm a little nervous about my total inability to speak French and getting by in Montreal.

I'm planning to either return to the US via Sault Ste Marie or head around the north side of Lake Superior and return via MN. Advice anyone?

No need to be nervous. It's just a language and the people speaking it are great. Quite honestly, Quebec city is my favourite city in Canada, Hands down. I speak french (as a second language) but have found Quebec city to be an amazingly multicultural city. Spanish is often heard as well Arabic and hindi. Just an amazing place to visit and get lost in the culture. You can spend a week there and never see a tenth of it. Most in the service industry will speak english so no worries.

Happy trails and enjoy Quebec.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

avan
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Quebec City's industry is tourism; lots to visit. I would recommend taking one of the city tours early in your visit, they cover all the places of interest. It will provide some insight into what you might want to see in more detail.

Language has never been an issue in Quebec City, they actually use more English than Montreal. Enjoy the history and culture.
Thanx for the advice on taking a city tour. Something I usually don't do but will for QC.

Am in Lunenburg, NS right now and heading to Sydney and then PEI. Am guessing I'll get to QC somewhere around the 1st of July and from there I'd like to visit Montreal. When we used to use the RV parks in Naples, we often would have fellow campers in the resort that were from the Prov of Quebec and I'm not sure I ever heard any speak anything but French - even "good morning" so I'm a little nervous about my total inability to speak French and getting by in Montreal.

I'm planning to either return to the US via Sault Ste Marie or head around the north side of Lake Superior and return via MN. Advice anyone?
www.putt10.net

Community Alumni
Not applicable

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
You will run out of time long before you run out of things to see and do.
Wing it.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to QC twice, but both times, just for a few days. We just loved it!
The first time, it was just myself with our son in law, who is from Levis, just across the river. We went across the river on the ferry, and he showed me around. It was just great to wander through those narrow streets, which to me, was very different from every other North American city I'd been to.
I noticed how many shops sold Medieval costumes that Quebecois love to wear at festivals throughout the year. In addition, there were shops that sold Medieval weapons and lots of toy soldiers, which I just loved.
Like many in Canada, I had heard much of the friction between visitors and the locals in Quebec. I never noticed even a hint of this. First time out for a meal, I tried my Parisian French(with a Welsh accent) but the waiter immediately switched to Anglais. I thought that it may have been that I was with some locals, so later I tried it on my own.
I took a walk through the older part of Levis, which is very non touristy and tested the reaction of shopkeepers to various scenarios.
I tried my very poor French, then I just spoke English in a few places, and I think I even put on an American accent! All the reactions I received were great, very helpful, polite and NO hint of any antagonism. I feel that at least recently, any conflict may be a result of maybe some attitude on the part of the visitor.
In the city itself, just soak up the atmosphere of the Lower and Upper City, look for the cannon ball from the war of 1812 (Canada won!)lodged in the roots of a tree. If staying in a hotel there, and if you have young kids with you, just check the TV channels! 😮
I had poutine there for the first time, as then you could only find it in Quebec.
Have a great time there!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!