cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio Free

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're planning a summer vacation trip thru Ontario and would like to stay a few nights in two state parks. Want to be a good neighbor from south of the boarder would like to know what is expected concerning Radio Free camp sites. Is it just more than no electronic noise beyond the walls of my camper? Is it frowned upon to watch a movie or two in the evening inside my coach with the windows closed and AC running?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
22 REPLIES 22

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
If my neighbor can hear my radio, it's too loud.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Brynjolf wrote:
Radio-free campgrounds in Ontario are also almost always dog-free campgrounds; that's an indication of the amount of tolerance for noise in these areas. Campers want to sit outside, enjoy a campfire and the sounds of the night. They do not want to hear air conditioners or furnaces blasting, and they most certainly don't want to hear the mumbled tv noises coming from inside your camper.

Ontario Parks is very clear that only personal devices using headphones are allowed in radio-free campgrounds.

There are plenty of campsites that are not radio-free. Noise and behaviour rules apply in those sites as well - its not party central; these are quiet, family-friendly sites. If you like to sit inside and watch a movie at night, the radio-allowed sites are where you want to be.

This has not been our experience at all, radio free does NOT mean dog free and does not guarantee a quite camping experience.

Radio free areas are not much different than any other area until a complaint is lodged as there is much less tolerance in a radio free area.

According to the provincial park site Radio Free means the Operation of an audio device (such as a radio, stereo, TV, etc.) in a radio free area is prohibited. Using such a device in a restricted area is subject to a $75 fine.

Brynjolf
Explorer
Explorer
Radio-free campgrounds in Ontario are also almost always dog-free campgrounds; that's an indication of the amount of tolerance for noise in these areas. Campers want to sit outside, enjoy a campfire and the sounds of the night. They do not want to hear air conditioners or furnaces blasting, and they most certainly don't want to hear the mumbled tv noises coming from inside your camper.

Ontario Parks is very clear that only personal devices using headphones are allowed in radio-free campgrounds.

There are plenty of campsites that are not radio-free. Noise and behaviour rules apply in those sites as well - its not party central; these are quiet, family-friendly sites. If you like to sit inside and watch a movie at night, the radio-allowed sites are where you want to be.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
Its a Ontario thing. 🙂

Great idea - you Ontarioinites have all the neat stuff 🙂

I prefer the rumble of a barely mufflered Dodge 413 vintage 1972 Winnie bago idling through the campsite, Holley 4 barrel, and toilet paper roll auxiliary oil filter, to the endless drivel on radio myself...

You should see the looks I get.
People get off their chairs when they hear the truck -What The Heck? - I can't resist sometimes and roll down the window and ask -which way to the 401 ????.
Gets a laugh.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone asked if folks in the USA play music outside their RVs in campgrounds. The answer is "sometimes." The closer you are to a major urban area, the more likely you are to have neighboring campers who do not understand that camping is about getting away from urban noise, including radios.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
Its a Ontario thing. 🙂

Great idea - you Ontarioinites have all the neat stuff 🙂

I prefer the rumble of a barely mufflered Dodge 413 vintage 1972 Winnie bago idling through the campsite, Holley 4 barrel, and toilet paper roll auxiliary oil filter, to the endless drivel on radio myself...

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Camped next to a traveling minstrel last summer (Pukaskwa NP). It was very pleasant. Much more so than radios, which always end up sounding tinny and unpleasant from far away.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, this is the first I hear of this. Mind you, I don't camp in Provincial parks anymore.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow Catcher wrote:
We stayed in Lake Superior Provincial Park for eight days this summer in a radio free site which meant it was ONLY inside our teardrop that we listened to the radio and TV. If you want music out side bring your guitar...

on second thought, bring on the radios.
bumpy 🙂

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Lake Superior Provincial Park for eight days this summer in a radio free site which meant it was ONLY inside our teardrop that we listened to the radio and TV. If you want music out side bring your guitar...

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Most Provincial parks have radio free and radio "okay" sites. Radio free is usually quieter. As said by another poster it keeps the partiers out.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

RCWannabe
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I wish they all were. I love music, but will almost never play a radio outside. We have neighbours at both family cottages that play music and everyone has no choice but to hear it, truely inconsiderate.

Is it common in the US parks to have radios playing outside? I hope not, we are planning a 5 1/2 month trip with 4 months in the South West and Western States and I would hate to be hearing a radio all the time.

I believe most Provincial Parks in Ontario are radio free, but the private campgrounds will vary. Some don't allow alcohol, bottles or cans either, but that is mostly for interior camping from a canoe or hiking.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Its a Ontario thing. 🙂
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
I learned something new! :E I've never heard of a Radio Free camp sites. :C

Ditto,,,,,
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks