cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route up to Ithaca NY

resqguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip up to NY from NC. The yahoo driving directions takes me from I81 to Rt11 at Harrisburg and up through Williamsport PA to Rt15 to Corning etc. I've made that trip before and all the surface traffic and stop lights seems to take forever.

I'm looking at I81 that goes more East but it is all interstate. Would taking I81 all the way up be faster?
Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi
5 REPLIES 5

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
They may have fixed it by now, I 86 in the Big Flats Elmira area will shake you to death. I was over it in May.

resqguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will give that a try.
Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
This is what you do.....81 north to Harrisburg,Pa 11/15 north to just north of Selinsgrove,Pa 15 and 11 will split, take 11 north along the river,(this will bypass all the stop and go on 15 fron Selinsgrove to Williamsport) over the bridge and turn left at 147 north (once you turn left at 147 you have no more traffic lights until 13 north in NY) that will turn into I 180 west take that into Williamsport, PA and reconnect with 15 north. Once you get on I 180 WEST it is all good 4 lane nonstop to Corning, NY. Take I 86 east at Painted Post, NY to Horseheads, NY and pick up 13 n to Ithaca.
I 81 n
11/15 n
11 n
147 n
I180 w
15 n
I 86 e
13 n

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
There would not be any advantage as I 81 to Whitney Point NY and then to Ithaca would be 60-70 miles longer . Plus you still have 40 miles of 2 lane .
On your yahoo route you will have some traffic lights near Harrisburg but the route is well marked and is not difficult . If I was to make that trip, I would
go the 'Yahoo' route . AS a plus it is a scenic drive
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
resqguy wrote:
I'm planning a trip up to NY from NC. The yahoo driving directions takes me from I81 to Rt11 at Harrisburg and up through Williamsport PA to Rt15 to Corning etc. I've made that trip before and all the surface traffic and stop lights seems to take forever.

I'm looking at I81 that goes more East but it is all interstate. Would taking I81 all the way up be faster?

15 from Williams port to Corning is a beautiful highway, and smooth as velvet, I-81 not so much.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.