cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

S*M*A*R*T Caravans

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in joining a SMART Caravan to Alaska in 19. SMART is a RV veterans group that organizes several caravans.
Anybody that's attended one of these caravans, could you please post your experiences.
Thank you in advance.
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV
12 REPLIES 12

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
Well it seems like from reading this thread that caravans are horrible and a waste of money. Negative opinions abound from everyone. But no one except DownThe Avenue has been on one.
Tell me folks how can you opinion on something you have no knowledge of? Observing a caravan arrive at a campsite or line up for fueling is NOT being on one.
These caravan's from several companies have been around awhile. They are successful because people pay to use them. It's not for everyone. I know that.

Now has anyone been on a SMART caravan?
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I went on one caravan and never again. The hokey social activities were enough to make you puke, some of the participants were quite obnoxious, and the schedule was exacting. Add to that I paid money to see sites I had no interest in, while other sites I would prefer to see were skipped. I have traveled overseas on organized tour groups, one recently to Egypt, where going it alone would have been difficult or even dangerous.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Tim's still waiting, only one relevant reply so far....

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like cruising I guess you will like caravaning. I guess there is something to be said for somebody being there to hold your hand & make all the decisions for you.

The question is why caravan Alaska & not the lower 48? Alaska is not the backside of the moon. Not many roads so it is very hard to get lost. Only a very small part of the state even has roads.

It is kinda fun to watch these caravans descend on a CG. The caravans seem to attract the big class A types so the CG must have at the very least pull throughs with power & water. They come in, set up, put their signs & flags out, dust off the days road dirt, walk the poofy dog & are all dressed up like they are going to the yacht club or country club.

Alaska is one very informal place. Northern Redneck might be the type of attire for most. It is a place where the clean fancy vehicle really stands out from the crowd. Most visitors seem to have some sort of a schedule however it is very loose & subject to change with the weather.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
What does one get for 8600 bucks on one of these caravans?

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Morsnow You have had no caravan experience. I have been on a number of them and had mechanical issues on a couple. Never left behind Staff member would make sure you got fixed up and onto next site. True they're not for everybody but they do add a great social aspect to camping.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I havenโ€™t been associated with any caravan.

We have been impacted by them on our multiple trips to Alaska. After speaking with some of those in the caravans, it was apparent that the intense itinerary and need to make it to the next stop was wearing on them.

We have been told that campgrounds were full due to the caravans. They book the spaces way in advance. We have run into blockages at the campgrounds due to caravans waiting in line. Fueling stations blocked.

Most of the caravans are usually 20+ rigs and often there are several there at the same time. Have a breakdown that canโ€™t be fixed quickly and you will be most likely left behind. Catching up is up to you.

Sound like fun? Pay your $10000 and be herded around like sheep.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I would avoid a caravan package like the plague. There is so much to see and do on your own and plenty of camping spots, including many freebie places along the way. A caravan is like a race going from place to place and god forbid you have a mechanical/tire issue on the way, they will leave you behind because they need to make the pre-reserved location for everyone else.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:

Keith

keith , very interesting, how many caravans have you been how?
sounds like you have been on a few. which ones were they?
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
I am interested in these as well but the $8600 price makes me less interested.

actually $8600 is the lowest price of any paid caravan that I can find.

if you can afford it, take it.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in these as well but the $8600 price makes me less interested.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of us who choose to go it alone and stop whenever we want, caravans are a pain in the you know what. They book the campgrounds in advance making it hard to find a space, the large groups traveling together they tend too clog up everything. The schedules they keep you on can be quite tiring after a while.

Just go it alone, stop and enjoy the sights, spend a few nights boondocking in a clear space and have a more restful enjoyable trip. Thereโ€™s only one road, you canโ€™t get lost!

Do you need a caravan to guide you around the lower 48? Itโ€™s no different for Canada and Alaska. Donโ€™t be a sheep and part of the flock.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran