cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baltimore, Southern Penn. Site Seeing

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to spend a week near Baltimore and I'd like suggestions of sites to see around B'more. DW also wants to go up to Lancaster, Pa. and visit the Amish country. Any suggestions welcomed. We've already been to Gettysburg and Washington DC.
13 REPLIES 13

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on taking a harbor cruise, strolling Fells Point and visiting Fort McHenry and that's pretty much all in Baltimore. Oh, and we'll be going to the B&O Museum too.

Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at my articles here on Lancaster and places to visit -

http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/p/places-to-visit.html

Baltimore is a nice place to visit but be careful. Stay to the tourist areas.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
13 yr old grandson might like the Harley Davidson factory tour in York. There is also Hershey Park and Chocolate World.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are a baseball fan you should catch a game at Camden Yards. Beautiful park and reasonable prices.

The aquarium is gorgeous and a great place to spend an afternoon. The science center is awesome too. The Fells Point neighborhood in B-more is also a great place to spend an afternoon walking around and grabbing dinner. Ft McHenry is cool. The Inner Harbor is a great place to walk around and see the shops.

Lancaster is also very beautiful. There are some really nice antique shops in Bird-in-Hand that are fun to walk through. Lots of great farms and farmers markets to wander around too. We've gone up to Lancaster for our anniversary a couple of times.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to HF. We've travelled so extensively around America it's getting harder to find someplace the family wants to see; especially with our 13 year old grandson who can be picky like most teenagers. As for me I'd spend all summer in the mountains but not everyone likes it. Thanks for the advice.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
DON'T tour the west side of Baltimore. It's not a place for pilgrims. LOL Kind of like Chicago, but without all of the glitz.

You've been given pretty much all the spots in Balto. I can add the B & O Railroad Museum. Just a few blocks from the Inner Harbor.

If you like sports there is the Sports Legends Museum just a couple of blocks south of the IH, over by Camden Yards; the home of the Baltimore Oriole's baseball team.

It might be a little far out of your path of travel, but Harper's Ferry is a nice place to visit.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks y'all. We'll be staying at Merry Meadows Farm CG in Freeland, Md. about 30 miles north of Baltimore. Picked it because of it's central location to B'more, Lancaster, G'burg, Hershey and other places of interest.

Rich75
Explorer
Explorer
if you are camping in Lancaster, then Country Acres is centrally located to the sites. If you are just driving up from Baltimore then focus on Strasburg, Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, those are the main tourist places.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drbolasky wrote:
Ditto on Baltimore Inner Harbor/Aquarium and the Yuengling Brewery. In Lancaster don't miss the farmer's market downtown - they are open (I believe) Tuesday, Friday & Saturday. Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse is also cool and a nice drive. Also in "Amish Country" we liked the Strasburg Railroad and the PA Railroad Museum.

Even though you said you'd already been to Gettysburg, the Adams County Winery is interesting. If you get out that way (west of town on Rt. 30) also take in the Round Barn for local produce and other good foods.

Enjoy & safe travels.

Double ditto. Fort McHenry too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Baltimore Inner Harbor and take water taxi from there to Fort McHenry and/or Fells Point.

Fort McHenry (of Star Spangled Banner fame) is a nice place to visit for a couple hours. bring a picnic if the weather is nice.

Fells Point is an old waterfront tavern area with lots of restaurants, bars and a street market.

Ed

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Baltimore Inner Harbor/Aquarium and the Yuengling Brewery. In Lancaster don't miss the farmer's market downtown - they are open (I believe) Tuesday, Friday & Saturday. Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse is also cool and a nice drive. Also in "Amish Country" we liked the Strasburg Railroad and the PA Railroad Museum.

Even though you said you'd already been to Gettysburg, the Adams County Winery is interesting. If you get out that way (west of town on Rt. 30) also take in the Round Barn for local produce and other good foods.

Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Pottsville, PA and tour The Yuengling Brewery.

It's the oldest brewery in America and, it's an interesting tour.

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Baltimore - Inner Harbor - the Aquarium and the Science Museum.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder