cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Florida RV park suggestions

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm asking a lot. We are looking for suggestions on a RV park in South Florida for next winter. We love the keys, but its just to pricey now and hard to get into. Looking for warm weather and lots of activities. It would be great if close to some kind of fishing.

We love the parks in Southern Arizona but have lots of friends throughout Florida.

Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas.
2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House
4 REPLIES 4

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
TCI wrote:
I know I'm asking a lot. We are looking for suggestions on a RV park in South Florida for next winter. We love the keys, but its just to pricey now and hard to get into. Looking for warm weather and lots of activities. It would be great if close to some kind of fishing.

We love the parks in Southern Arizona but have lots of friends throughout Florida.

Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas.

Maybe look around Lake Okeechobee for fishing RV parks
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Whispering Palms and Vero Beach Kamp, both just north of Vero. Good fishing in the surf or the Lagoon or from the pier in Sebastian Inlet State Park.
Treasure Coast RV Park just west of Fort Pierce is very nice. We've also stayed at Southern Comfort RV Park near Homestead a couple times all very nice but different from each other.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to define "warm". My idea of "warm" (East Coast FL Native) and my husband's idea of "warm" (MI Native) were radically different.

As a general rule, excluding higher elevations, most places south of I-40 will give you what is considered a "temperate" winter.

As a general rule, the farther from the coast you are (100 miles or more) the cheaper and less in demand campground sites are. This does not apply to high demand waterfront and/or "resort" campgrounds/RV parks.

Every place will, even FL, over the course of a typical or not so typical winter, experience lower than "normal" temps, even down to freezing. Yes, South FL has had freezing temps and it has happened many times in my lifetime (I'm almost 63yo). I even remember it snowing. It didn't lay but it snowed in Ft Pierce. It just had the right conditions. My mother (also a FL Native) remembers it getting so cold in the winter (Jupiter) that the mullet froze to death in the river. The time my black tank valve froze and cracked, I was in Cordele, GA (I-75 Exit 101 which means it was 100 miles from the FL/GA state line) as it had almost a week of unseasonable freezing temps in Jan or Feb. A week later, things had warmed back up to normal. Growing up, I remember the pond in front of my grandmother's house would freeze up at least once most winters. It was often thick enough the hunting dogs could walk across it. I know one of my cousins walked across it too one time (kids!). This was in central FL near Ocala. the "Great Freezes" which wiped out most of the northern orange groves over about 3 winters, reached all the way to the Keys. This was during my grandmother's time (she was also a FL Native). It also took out the big pineapple plantations in the Jensen area. They didn't replant. Most people who live in the area don't even know that Jensen had big pineapple plantations.

So every place gets cold in the winter. It's just how cold is cold. I live in a "plains desert" in SE NM. We had snow flurries today. It was 39F while it was snowing big fat flakes. Too warm to lay and it turned back to sleet then rain. I have been told I moved to the "wrong" desert. But I have watched temps. AZ desert (Phoenix) gets freezing temps about as often as we do. In a few days, it will be warming back up to the 60s. And then it will get nasty for Thanksgiving. Then it will warm back up before it gets nasty for Christmas. And after that, it's really winter.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd look for anywhere from Tampa on south on the Gulf coast. I'm also a fan of state parks.

Some of the interior places on lakes have good fishing but they also have alligators that have been a problem in the last few years. You'll still have to be on the lookout for gators and water moccassins but on the coastal salt water areas, they're less of a problem.

I use Allstays. Click on the map for the state and zoom in. Allstays Florida Map
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus