cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Hills in October

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Grand daughter wants to see the "Presidents on the Mountains" as she calls Mt Rushmore. Due to various things, this trip will be the first weekend of October. The wife and I will head out early and pick the other 4 up at Rapid City. We will spend 4 days in the Black Hills and then all of us will head home to Kentucky with a stop in St Louis. I am finding some of the campgrounds close October 1. Custer State park, Spearfish City, and Custer Gulch will be open. Any recommendation for this time of the year? The girls need W/E, but we don't necessarily need FHU. Looking for base camp to explore from Hot Springs to Devils Tower. Would the fall colors be starting?
14 REPLIES 14

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
I used to live in Rapid City. I love Black Hills Autumn. No crowds at Mt. Rushmore. Early snow could botch your plans, but if no snow, you’ll love it.

Sorry But IMHO if you get really Lucky - you might catch SNOW - OMG is it beautiful then!

See Here

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I used to live in Rapid City. I love Black Hills Autumn. No crowds at Mt. Rushmore. Early snow could botch your plans, but if no snow, you’ll love it.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Crerkside in Hill City a couple years back. Was pretty nice for a bDe camp

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
I have friends who own Custer Crazy Horse campground. They stay open beyond the others and are right on the edge of Custer. Cullum family, good people.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four days in Paha Sapa and at least 6 days driving to get there.
I really like the fall in the BH. Colors will have turned by then.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
In Hill City are wo we've used Crooked Creek and Rafter J Bar Ranch. Rafter is about $70 and Crooked Creek is about average, in the fifties if I remember correctly.

It September on year it was 19 degrees and the motor in the heater choose to seize up that night.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really liked Custers Gulch. Great people and very nice clean park. Be aware that a snow is a good possibility that time of year. A big blizzard hit there in October a few years ago.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
If you can, come a few days earlier to catch the Buffalo Roundup in Custer State Park , as well as the arts fesival and auction in Custer City. Dont let fall weather dismay you, historically its T shirt days , jacket nights. But crazy stuff happens. Be prepared.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
yes, autumn colors will be showing well at the last of sept, first of oct.
if you can get into custer gulch, grab it, or any rv park in the custer to hill city area.
be advised that the area can see some snow the first of oct.. usually just a brief cold spell that doesn't last more than a couple days.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
That's a really long trip to see the Presidents!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
First weekend in October, GTO. Most schools have been in session for a while by October.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I like custer gulch but hard to get into in august when I'm there unless booked well in advance.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Those campgrounds possibly close since school has started for kids.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spearfish had a great City park.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow