cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds costing less than $20 per night

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
A favorite campground of mine (Ackerman Campground near Lewiston CA) costs $16 per night. I read a review where the camper complained that the $16 was up from $13 despite there being water problems at the campground.

My question is, "how often do you encounter even the most basic campground where the fee is less than $20 per night?"

This excludes of course free, boondocking, or BLM options.
There is something special about camping in an RV.
20 REPLIES 20

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many of them that participate with passport america - you can review the website and it's campgrounds without being a member. We use them a lot. Love COE parks and pay $8 - $14 per nt with senior pass, and that parks are usually beautiful.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Adiabatman wrote:
We rely on Ultimate Public Campgrounds to find free and inexpensive locations.

Although not always low-priced, I always prefer public campgrounds.

More times than not, it will have lots of trees and shades and not a glorified parking lot.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
And that's in CA!

My thought exactly it probably costs more than that to get into a state park out there, never mind camping. I was stunned at the entry fee for Pt Sur State Park and that was 15 years ago.

I think that was why I posted the question. There are quite a few references now to $50+ per night campgrounds and even a few $100+ per night sites.

So why was the reviewer of Ackerman worried about $16?

i have been working in retail sales for almost 30 years. there are a large number of people out there that would even complain about a 25 cent increase. thats how some people's mind work.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older USFS campgrounds are usually under $20 but do not accomodate RVs very well. Once you turn 65 all USFS and NPS campgrounds are half price. My last trip to Yosemite in the fall, we paid no entrance fee and camping cost $11 a night. Boondocking is free.

Adiabatman
Explorer
Explorer
We rely on Ultimate Public Campgrounds to find free and inexpensive locations.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Some NF campgrounds with pit toilets, no water go for $10/day; $5/day with Senior Pass.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm... Link doesn't work????
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Quite a number of inexpensive or free campsites at http://www.freecampsites.net
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We're volunteering at a BLM campground this season very nice area. Good boat launch, docks for over night campers, $5 day use or $15. Per camping unit 2 allowed per site and half the people complain about the price.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are at Wax Campground on Nolin River Lake, KY. It'a a COE park. With the geezer pass it's $12.50 a night with water & electricity.
And besides that, it's is gorgeous!!!!
Check the Corp of Engineer Parks. They are great! And across the nation.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Most all the FS campgrounds we go to are in the $18-19 range. In fact we have reservations this coming week for 3 nights @$19 a night. But with my Senior pass I only pay $9 a night. Hard to beat $27 for 3 nights.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've been staying at a couple of different State campground and pleasantly
surprised at the relative low cost (compared to PA and NJ). I just paid
$17/night (weekday) plus tax; I also stayed at a campground in DE which was
$14/night weekday + senior discount).

I'm headed up to the Adirondacks next week and I'm getting a site for $21.

All these are state parks
Gerry

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
You didn't mention that this does not include Forest Service campgrounds because there are a lot out there (at least in the west) for less than $20 and even with electric hookups.
That's true for remote and/or less populated areas. But $20 or is getting to be the norm for many NFS CG's in Colorado and Utah, especially if it's within two hours of the Front Range or the Salt Lake Valley or anywhere near a lake. In some of those places, $22 seems to be the going rate for a CG with pit toilets. Flush toilets adds another $3 +/- and hookups usually another $5.

Around Moab, they raised the rates for all the BLM CG's to $20/night, and none of them have running water. Any wonder why Willow Springs road is now just over packed with boondockers (we call it Willow Springs city anymore).
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
And that's in CA!

My thought exactly it probably costs more than that to get into a state park out there, never mind camping. I was stunned at the entry fee for Pt Sur State Park and that was 15 years ago.

I think that was why I posted the question. There are quite a few references now to $50+ per night campgrounds and even a few $100+ per night sites.

So why was the reviewer of Ackerman worried about $16?
There is something special about camping in an RV.