cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cant find a place to stay near Harrisburg, PA, help!

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am out of options so I thought of posting this to see if anyone had any ideas. We need a place to camp in the Harrisburg Pa area or within half hour or so. We want to try and find a house to buy, with emphasis on "try". This alone may be impossible these days, but now since the whole world owns rv's we have no where to park that doesnt charge 60 or more dollars a night. Looking for a better monthly rate so we can survive while trying to find a house and am coming up empty. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm stressed to the max and out of options. Any ideas?
35 REPLIES 35

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Some good suggestions. I'd do my homework first to see what's available in my price range before spending money parking my rv somewhere.

What I would do is use realtor.com or zillow.com to pick out a couple of candidates to look at. You can make an appointment with the realtor through those websites.

You may want to contact a good realtor in the area to help you look. Houses are not staying on the market long and a brick and mortar realtor will know of houses ahead of Zillow. I have been trying to help my son find a house and several already had offers on them when they showed up on Zillow and several more were gone the first day.

A good realtor may even have suggestion for where you can park your RV.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe, if your situation and schedule would permit the time, you could see about being a camp host?

264SRinPA
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Gifford Pinchot state park. Has hookups. Rate is about 23. On lake near Wellsville. Has a real good senior citizen discount.

Pa state parks have 2 week limit.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
bgum wrote:
Gifford Pinchot state park. Has hookups. Rate is about 23. On lake near Wellsville. Has a real good senior citizen discount.

PA state parks have a limit of 14 days.

Their website clearly states that 21 days as the limit for much of the year.

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions, and I will be checking out each one. The problem is because EVERYONE now has an rv EVERYWHERE is full! No one will take a monthly, not many will give you a week and not alot of day available at least without charging absolutely ridiculous fees. This is about the worst rving has been in all the years we've been doing it. We cant even buy a house. Had at least 20 offers last summer and no house. NOW to ad insult to injury we cant even find a place to live in the rv until we can find a house. An all time low on everything. Sorry for doom and gloom but its been a very hard year and I'm on the brink of totally giving up.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone mentioned Gifford Pinchot, which is a nice PA state park. I think they have some full hookup sites available. Cordorus State Park is very nice too and I think its in roughly the same area. I think they have some full hook ups too. 14 day max, but you can go back and forth between them if necessary.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Try this:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Harrisburg+Pa

That is the wrong Harrisburg. Using the correct one shows nothing but overnight stops at stores and such.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walmar Manor, $500/month and has good reviews.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:

PA state parks have a limit of 14 days.

dedmiston
Moved from RV Lifestyles.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
Hello all, I am out of options so I thought of posting this to see if anyone had any ideas. We need a place to camp in the Harrisburg Pa area or within half hour or so. We want to try and find a house to buy, with emphasis on "try". This alone may be impossible these days, but now since the whole world owns rv's we have no where to park that doesnt charge 60 or more dollars a night. Looking for a better monthly rate so we can survive while trying to find a house and am coming up empty. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm stressed to the max and out of options. Any ideas?

Use Good Sam RV Parks application to find parks in the area you want. Contack the "Escapees RV club on the internet" to see if there are any parks where you want to be.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some good suggestions. I'd do my homework first to see what's available in my price range before spending money parking my rv somewhere.

What I would do is use realtor.com or zillow.com to pick out a couple of candidates to look at. You can make an appointment with the realtor through those websites.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
luvmydogs wrote:
Hello all, I am out of options so I thought of posting this to see if anyone had any ideas. We need a place to camp in the Harrisburg Pa area or within half hour or so. We want to try and find a house to buy, with emphasis on "try". Any ideas?

Try this:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Harrisburg+Pa
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
try Hipcamp.com

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any thosand oak places up that way? I know some full timers buy that and the plus one, you would have to move every two weeks , but it might be doable if you plan on being out there for a bit.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.