cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlsbad Caverns NM

Gottahaveit
Thinking of stopping at Carlsbad Caverns after our usual Quartzite/Yuma AZ trip in Jan. Any suggestions on favorite Campgrounds near the entrance ? So far I'm leaning towards Carlsbad RV, reviews seem to be decent. Anyone have a personal input and/or suggestions on whether to take the tour at the Caverns or go on your own ? Thanks, Kathie
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
15 REPLIES 15

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We took a tour and it was good. We usually do that in caves, the TG points out interesting features.

We stayed at Brantley Lake north of Carlsbad. It was a bit of a drive, but that was okay for us.

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
OldF**t wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
OldF**t wrote:
The KOA north of town is probably the best campground but it is 30 to 45 minutes to the caverns depending on traffic thru town.

Coming from that KOA there is a by-pass about 10 miles South of the park that takes you on the West edge of town missing all of that down town area

Yes. I forgot about that bypass. About a mile shorter and way less traffic and lights.

KOA to Caverns is a 45 mile 1 hour drive. We stayed there and I didn't like the distance to the caverns. we would go in the morning to the caves and go back in the evening to see the bats. The first night the bats didn't come out, so we had to do it again the next day. It's a great RV park, but it's just too far away.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Gottahaveit
Thank you all so much for your input...Looks like White City is off the list :W We want to stay as close to the entrance as possible since I don't like to leave our Dog for more than a few hours. I'll check out the distance from the other suggestions and hopefully the KOA will work for us.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Chosa Campground south, free camp area no facilities, day or two. Sun West or Buds, full hookups. Get reservations like it's been said the oil fields are booming. Scratch Whites as a dump unless you want very convenient because it's close to the Cavern entrance. If your have time stay for the night flight, educational talk by the rangers and amazing.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with what others have said regarding the area. I live nearby and raveled thru Carlsbad to El Paso at least 2x / month. The park at Whites City would likely be OK for a night. They do have a section for the long term folks that is separate from the short term portion. The other recommendation would be the KOA or Escapees park North of town.

Another option to consider would be the campground at Guadalupe Mtns. There are no hookups and it is limited both in size and number of spaces but would be a quiet option for one night. If you have never been there a stop at the visito center would be recommended since you may be driving right past there anyway. Another spot at the park I would recommend visiting is the Frijole Ranch house - it is an amazing display of how the early settlers lived in this area.

Last thing, the traffic I the area is really bad so be patient and watchful as you pass through. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Terry

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
My experience is a few years old but I will share anyway.

I would not stay in White City if it is anything like what I saw on our last visit to Carlsbad.

We decided to stay in town. No, it's not a resort and pretty typical of older parks with permanent residents, but we found it so much more conveniently located than KOA. I would not hesitate to stay there again unless it has really declined.

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
OldF**t wrote:
The KOA north of town is probably the best campground but it is 30 to 45 minutes to the caverns depending on traffic thru town.

Coming from that KOA there is a by-pass about 10 miles South of the park that takes you on the West edge of town missing all of that down town area

Yes. I forgot about that bypass. About a mile shorter and way less traffic and lights.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at the KOA earlier this year and would recommend it. Is super nice, the showers are huge clean and hot, they have a BBQ smoker going all day and will deliver food to you via a golf cart and put it on your RV bill, two descent sized gated dog areas with toys, basically away from everything too so super quiet.

It is a ways from the Caverns but from what we saw of the other RV Parks after passing by them we made the right decision!

As mentioned above the Oil Industry is all over this area and when we left via the 285 it was a complete disaster. I can not believe that road did not damage my trailer. I've never driven on a road worse than that anywhere in the US. Also is single lane with 50,000 oil workers trying to get where they are going.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for the KOA. I was there several nights a few years ago to see the caverns.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
... But a word of caution. The oil field boom is apparently making it difficult to find any opening at any RV park in that area. I would begin checking availability far in advance of planning to arrive there.

X2^!! Except for the fact that we are Escapees and can stay at The Ranch north of Carlsbad, there have been several times there was absolutely no other availability.

Also check ahead of time if there's anyone in your party that can't handle the walk down into the caverns from the natural opening. The elevators are older than I am (and I've had Medicare for a while) and have been out of service on two separate occasions when we tried to visit. (If one of the two elevators is out, they take the other one out of service, too). This can happen on short notice, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We also stayed at the KOA as it seemed the best in the area, though not the most convenient.

But a word of caution. The oil field boom is apparently making it difficult to find any opening at any RV park in that area. I would begin checking availability far in advance of planning to arrive there.

We did the tour on our own starting at the natural entrance. Plan on the elevator back to the top unless you are in good physical condition as the trip down from the natural entrance is long and steep. There are guided tours that take you to areas not available on your own, but we did not try any of those.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA and it is a long way from anything. It is 20 miles just to Carlsbad. Buds is your best bet if your going to stay a few days but I think I would stay at the one at the exit to the caverans if I was going to just stay one night it didnt look all that bad when we drove past it.
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
OldF**t wrote:

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC