cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Christmas time traveling

napanee_ted
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on going to Florida around Dec. 24/25 has anyone had trouble getting help/service while broken down during this time. We do have roadside assistance but I was concerned about traveling and maybe waiting till the 26.
17 REPLIES 17

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
Christmas time traveling?

Are you going back to July 3, 1985?

:C

You can now get one on Amazon for only $266!

That's where I got mine next month. LOL ๐Ÿ˜›

(Nice find!)

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:

You can now get one on Amazon for only $266!
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Take extra food and drinks with you. Be prepared to stay a night or two along the way.

If any problems along the way, or just traffic gets stressful, you have the option of climbing over the wall of the rat race and letting it go by while you relax ๐Ÿ˜‰

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We were driving to daughter's home and the only place open for our Christmas dinner was a Waffle House!

LOL X2 (but we were going for other family reasons.)

Sent a picture/text to the daughter number 1 showing Mom and me having our Christmas meal. She said for a Christmas gift she was getting us shirts that said "We have family, but we choose to live like this." :B

To the OP: your fears will hold you back and consume energy for something that may never happen.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Since it is you that is deciding to travel on a holiday you should be prepared for a longer wait for service and the possibility of a premium charge. If you are ok with that then proceed on. I would have no reservations about traveling on a holiday.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a flat tire and searched for repair yesterday on thanksgiving. I found numerous repair/towing companies advertised for 24 hour service including all holidays.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
A handful of years ago, we were traveling on December 23rd, traveling north on I-95. We just passed Dunn, NC around 5 pm and the motor started really knocking. We limped to the next exit and found a hotel, booked a car rental and called around looking for a place to have the van towed to. We were fortunate to find a mechanic open on Christmas Eve. AAA got a tow truck out to us pretty quick, but it was early in the day.

We got pretty lucky that we found someone open. This year Christmas Eve is on a Sunday, so that's a double whammy for you. Traffic on the 26th will be bad, at least on I-95. Being flexible will be helpful. If you break down on the 24th or 25th, you will probably be able to find a tow, but you may have to leave it in a mechanic's lot until the 26th.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled (from Indiana to Florida) and (from Indiana to South Carolina) over Christmas week for the last several years. We return home on New Years day. We've never had a break down, but we've never had problems find a motel (for the first leg of Florida trips), or a campground (for the first leg of our South Carolina trips). Once you get into Kentucky and Tennessee, campgrounds are open.

Along the way, the roads are jam packed with travelers, truck drivers, and RV transporters driving South. We've traveled on Christmas Day and restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores are open, pretty much every where.

Businesses (like gas stations, service stations, repair shops) make an effort to remain open on the holidays, because they know travelers are out there. They may charge more, but many of them pay their employees more on the holidays to be there for (us) too. They are forfeiting their holiday so we can enjoy ours.

Travel, don't worry about breakdowns. If it happens, just use your head.

See you on the road. FYI, we are leaving for Santee State Park, South Carolina on Dec 23. We'll stop somewhere near Knoxville, TN Saturday night and then on to Santee Sunday. This will make about 2 - six hour drive days for us. Enough we can enjoy things along the way!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We were driving to daughter's home and the only place open for our Christmas dinner was a Waffle House!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when I worked, if I worked on Christmas Day I was paid double time and three quarters. Are you OK with paying that? If you are, there might be someone that could help you for 200 to 300 dollars an hour.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Are you planning on breaking down?

a smart person always plans on breaking down...and how to deal with it. since the OP is asking he sounds smart to me.

as to the question...if you have an emergency road service such as GS or CoachNet I'd expect you'd receive help although I wouldn't be surprised if the response times were a bit high. as to repairs I would not expect to find much open except maybe truck stop service.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a fuel pump replaced on New Years day a few years ago.
(Mammoth area of CA)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Getting actual repair service help would likely be a problem, but most tow and truck tire service companies have people on call on holidays. It may take a little longer to get to you if the weather's bad though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate