cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Boarding when visiting Disneyland

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
We have been traveling to Disneyland annually. This is our first trip since 2019. We have always had dogs, and have always kept them in the Kennel at Disneyland since 2006. Disneyland has closed their Kennel permanently, using Covid as an excuse. It was probably not a money maker, but had been an essential resource for pet owners. I've heard that Walt Disney wanted a kennel so people wouldn't leave their pets in their hot cars.

We have a new puppy that isn't over her "barking" stage yet. So leaving her in the RV at the RV Park isn't an option as she barks often. I don't want to subject my neighbors to this. We have an older dog as well. Doggie Daycare isn't a great alternative as they open late and close early, and we don't want to board them for days at a time.

In my opinion Disneyland has gotten greedy since Covid hit. I have a small business that does events, and we suffered greatly during covid. So I get that, but it seems like Disneyland keeps taking away things and not adding things for their visitors.

I'm curious what others have done with their pets when they visit Disneyland nowadays?
2016 Fleetwood Excursion 35E
20 REPLIES 20

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I believe the OP meant the PARENTS took turns taking the kids into the park - the other parent stayed back with the dogs. Not that the KIDS took turns going into the park.

I truly doubt the OP made one kid stay behind each day.

Reread the original post and agree. Sorry for the misinterpretation. I will, though, stand by my suggestion in order to keep it a "family" vacation.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^This, that's the way I took his meaning, parents taking turns.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the OP meant the PARENTS took turns taking the kids into the park - the other parent stayed back with the dogs. Not that the KIDS took turns going into the park.

I truly doubt the OP made one kid stay behind each day.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
What about boarding just the younger dog and taking the older dog? Doesn't seem like much of a "family" experience of you don't go as a family into the park. As a parent (and not a criticism-you know your family) I see a lot of possible resentment if one child feels the other got special treatment.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^I bet the kid that gets left at home to watch the pets isnโ€™t very happy with this family plan! Lol!

Do you make the kids draw straws to see who stays home from Disneyland? Or is it rock paper scissors or simply a fair rotation? Hahaha
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for your suggestions ! I'll look into them for future trips. We have traded off taking the kids to Disneyland so one of us could stay with the dogs. In past with older dogs we've left them in the RV as they were quiet, and have a temp sensor that alerts us when the temp changes. We also keep a video baby monitor on the iPad so we can check in and talk to them, hear them.

Difference this time is the younger dog who barks at strange noises, as dogs should do of course ! However, I have tested her for 30 - 45 min periods and she is doing really well - not making a peep. I think she's gotten used to the noises this week.

Sorry for not responding sooner, it's been a crazy week. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions !
2016 Fleetwood Excursion 35E

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me, I would never let a stranger care for my pets (or children), even for a few hours. If I needed to have someone watch my pets or take them to a kennel or daycare, then I would not take my pets with me - I'd board them at a kennel I know and trust or have someone I know and trust stay at the house with them.

As the OP has not responded, I suspect they just wanted to vent and weren't really looking for advice on what to do.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
when traveling our preferred kennel is PetSmart. Daycare and overnights are not expensive and, except on Sunday, they are open early and close late. not every PetSmart has the 'PetsHotel' but those that do are worth it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did a quick google search and found several 4 star or better kennel/ daycares in the area. Most open at 7 am and close at 5,6 or 7.
If you need more than 8 to 12 hours at Disneyland then consider an overnight stay for your pet.
I just completed a 34 day trip from California to Georgia and back. My preferred kennel charges $75 per day. Thatโ€™s why we decided to take the rv and dog vs. flying and make a real trip out of it. Do the math. Pets arenโ€™t cheap.
I feel for you and hope it all works out.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
When the OP said Disneyland I thought Anaheim, Ca. Many people have answered with suggestions for Disney World, FL. Maybe the OP can clarify which one it is.
Either place, I agree that Rover.com might help.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.bringfido.com/
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So many hotels now allow dogs, I'd think most people would just leave their dog in their room during the day when out at the parks.

Hotels don't generally allow this, just like campgrounds don't allow you to leave your dog at your site while you are gone.

Is boarding your dog an option? If you have a facility you use at home that would be my recommendation. I understand you want to have him with you but sometimes a doggie vacation for Rover isn't a bad thing. There's also another website bringfido.com that may help.

Douglas Adams

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP is talking about DisneyLAND in California NOT DisneyWORLD in Florida...

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the overwhelming demand by guest at their lodgings who want pet boarding during their visit, Disney limited the pet boarding option to only guest at their lodging locations. If you were RV camping at Fort Wilderness, you can board you pet with Disney. Additionally, due to some baby-antic politics, licensing requirements for use by outsiders suddenly became an issue and more difficult so Disney just kept it for in-house lodging guest.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.