cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado River Dry Camping Near Yuma to Blythe???

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of any free camps on the river here? I use Freecamping.net and so far have not taken my Kayak off the top of my truck camper. My arms are turning back into noodles so need to paddle out soon before they fall right off... Any help appreciated..

5 REPLIES 5

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great responses guys. Regarding Google Earth, my Google maps still thinks I'm in Oregon. Can't get it to do the "My Location" thing and spent quite a bit of time today doing searches and even downloaded Google Earth Pro. Pro said that I need a GPS program on the computer I am using to do maps and location thing with so I downloaded one of those and still that little blue dot is in Oregon... It's the damndest thing..
My Moto Z Droid knows where I am but maps on smartphones are not so detailed so not much help other than navigating while driving.
I'll check out those places in the morning.. Thanks again..

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be here until March or April Steve... Sounds good..

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Have never been there, but in planning for a trip there in January, I found this:
- Cibola (most access points are on the California side of the river)
- Picacho SRA
- Squaw Lake
- Mittry Lake
- Fortuna Pond (on the Gila)
- And a multi-day trip on the lower Colorado (several access points)
Stick around and maybe we'll bump into each other (we'll be in packrafts for possible trips on the upper Gila and Verde rivers in February)

SYOAR,
Steve

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
There are places along the Ca. side below Imperial dam above Yuma to stop and launch on the river or all american canal. I think it is all Quechan tribal land, so contact the tribal office for permission up to the US Army Prooving grounds. . Above Imperial Lake for some ways it is restricted to Army. then there are some places not mapped to get to the river above there to Parker on both sides of the river. Az. side is easier. Do a google earth search to find ways across blm land to the river. Make sure your way is legal and passible with your rig. Camping is ok for 14 days.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Campendium.com lists "Levee Road" on the AZ side as free BLM camping. I have not been there. There are many photos of the area on Campendium's listing for this site.

On the CA side, there are a couple of spots along the river-edge road near the Oxbow BLM camp. Not sure about river access from those.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed