cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid 19 warning

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, I just received news a good friend of mine passed away this morning from Covid 19. He got while RVing and they were being careful. His wife also go it, probably from him, but just got very ill. He was on a ventilator in hospital for 2 weeks. He was healthy and active. This is a wake up call for me. A winter at home beats eternity 6 ft under. This disease is not one to be blase about, it is not a hoax, it is not less dangerous than flu. Think long and hard before you decide to play Russian Roulette by heading for the sun this winter before there is a vaccine.
111 REPLIES 111

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Covid tests are free here. At least in BC.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Flyboy320 wrote:
magicbus wrote:
I was always under the impression that CA health was pretty good. Now I’m confused when JaxDad said:

The driver said that while he waiting in the emergency reception area a family of 6 came in showing obvious symptoms of being sick and were seeking testing, they were told it would be $200 per test, plus, plus, plus whatever else they could charge them.

So COVID tests aren’t included???

Dave

I read that "JaxDad" post as the hospital visit happening in the USA after a minor traffic accident there.

That’s the way I read it too.

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I was always under the impression that CA health was pretty good. Now I’m confused when JaxDad said:

The driver said that while he waiting in the emergency reception area a family of 6 came in showing obvious symptoms of being sick and were seeking testing, they were told it would be $200 per test, plus, plus, plus whatever else they could charge them.

Dave

I read that "JaxDad" post as the hospital visit happening in the USA after a minor traffic accident there.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Tequila wrote:
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Tequila, if I'm not mistaken wasn't the US Gov paying a 20% premium to the medical centres dealing with positive COVID cases at the front end? Hence there was a lot of debate, about "interest in having more positive cases"!!

As far as the private insurance set up down there goes. Someone in Winterhaven Fla within the last week was kicked out and sent home waaaaay too soon, as seems to be the practice there right now, due to such a high volume of cases.

Being a UK expat some decades ago, and proud Canadian ever since, I feel grateful every day I've been on this earth to have access to the health care service my family have our whole lives. Yes, I know sometimes it gets strained and you hear of others waiting long times for treatments, but as far as we go we have zero complaints in when we've needed it.

Yes the system is stressed although I think that has a lot to do with aging demographics.(the demand for services for older people could decrease a lot if covid wipes more of us out) My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago. 18 months of chemo and the bastards charged her for parking. We have personally not experienced delays for anything, but I am sure it happens.

Our extended family has been hit with everything from heart issues to cancer and hip operations and the systym has treated us good,,,other than that paid parking thing. :).

There is always room for improvement though.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Tequila, if I'm not mistaken wasn't the US Gov paying a 20% premium to the medical centres dealing with positive COVID cases at the front end? Hence there was a lot of debate, about "interest in having more positive cases"!!

As far as the private insurance set up down there goes. Someone in Winterhaven Fla within the last week was kicked out and sent home waaaaay too soon, as seems to be the practice there right now, due to such a high volume of cases.

Being a UK expat some decades ago, and proud Canadian ever since, I feel grateful every day I've been on this earth to have access to the health care service my family have our whole lives. Yes, I know sometimes it gets strained and you hear of others waiting long times for treatments, but as far as we go we have zero complaints in when we've needed it.

Yes the system is stressed although I think that has a lot to do with aging demographics.(the demand for services for older people could decrease a lot if covid wipes more of us out) My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago. 18 months of chemo and the bastards charged her for parking. We have personally not experienced delays for anything, but I am sure it happens.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer

It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Diver4242 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

How often does that need to happen in a population of 328 million people to create / prolong a significant problem?

Obviously that's a big part of the problem here in the USA. On top of that, most people aren't wearing masks or taking precautions, because there hasn't been a serious enough national campaign to get them to understand how important that is.

As well, tens of millions of Americans who said just a few months ago that they didn't really want a national health care system because they had "great coverage" through their employer, are now finding out why that's a very bad way to get health insurance, because they're now out of work, with nothing.

And here we are, sadly.

The health system another question. I do not know how the hospitalization expense is being handled. If you are on a ventilator for a month are you going to be billed and what happens to those who have to pay astronomical amounts? Maybe someone can enlighten me. I assume anyone over 65 is more or less covered and most are probably in that demographic. I am guessing you are on your own if under 65 unless you have insurance, the hospitals have to be paid somehow and unless the government is picking up the tab, I cant see them doing it for free. It has always been difficult for Canadians to understand why this is so political in the US. Universal health care is supported in Canada by both Liberals and Conservatives.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Without making partisan political comments and I am Canadian, not American, I am appalled at the disorganization I see in the country below us. We are inundated with US news, so most Canadians know as much as the average American as to what is happening and the politics behind it. The big difference that I see between the US response and that of Canada and Europe is that this is being handled largely on a federal level in both Canada & Europe. It seems to me that there is a real inconsistency in the type, and level, of response in the US by region and political division. There is far too much of the problem left up to individual states with no standard federal guidelines that everybody needs to follow. Since there is freedom of movement within the US, this makes little sense. We do have a similar problem in Canada where provinces also have the right to follow a lot of their own paths, but it seems to me there is much more agreement on a common strategy, rather than it being all over the map. In BC we have a left wing provincial government and in Ontario a right wing one. Neither seem to be pushing political stances, and are both following the science and medical advice when they make decisions. As a result we have about 1/10th the problem of the US on a per capital basis. The virus does not respect local boundaries or politics. The other mistake I see being made in the US, is the over-emphasis on the economy not the disease. While the economy is important, there is no economy if a good portion of the population is dead. Inaction over the cause is only going to extend and exacerbate the problem with the economy. I think the cartoon below makes the point.

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

How often does that need to happen in a population of 328 million people to create / prolong a significant problem?

Obviously that's a big part of the problem here in the USA. On top of that, most people aren't wearing masks or taking precautions, because there hasn't been a serious enough national campaign to get them to understand how important that is.

As well, tens of millions of Americans who said just a few months ago that they didn't really want a national health care system because they had "great coverage" through their employer, are now finding out why that's a very bad way to get health insurance, because they're now out of work, with nothing.

And here we are, sadly.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarbaraOK wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

I know the actual number of cases and deaths. It's shown on that website.

NO you don't know the actual number of cases and deaths. That's the problem, no one does. Especially not in the USA where testing is haphazard and in no way does anyone have actual number of deaths nor cases. Lots of people are dying at home, never have been tested, and depending upon age, cause of death can be listed as all sorts of things. And we now know that there were deaths in the country BEFORE the first identified case of Covid was reported in Washington State.

A good friend of mine owns a very specialized trucking firm, mostly medical products and high-end food products. He said one of his drivers was involved in a very minor traffic accident in the US but for safety’s sake company policy is for the driver to go to the hospital for a BAC and drug test to prove they were sober.

The family turned and walked right back out.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MDKMDK,

Take Quebec away, and Canada looks good.

Take Ontario away, an again Canada looks not bad.

Take Quebec and Ontario away, and Canada looks FABULOUS.

Sask comes in at 1.37%
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turn the TV off.
Larry

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

NO you don't know the actual number of cases and deaths. That's the problem, no one does. Especially not in the USA where testing is haphazard and in no way does anyone have actual number of deaths nor cases. Lots of people are dying at home, never have been tested, and depending upon age, cause of death can be listed as all sorts of things. And we now know that there were deaths in the country BEFORE the first identified case of Covid was reported in Washington State.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
Mike that assumes you actually know the number of cases. Statistics are a funny thing, change one parameter and the entire overall picture changes. With a disease like covid the cause of death can be questionable. Since it causes pneumonia, how many deaths get reported as pneumonia or vice versa? The best way may be to compare total deaths in a fixed area with those of the previous year. In Mexico City for example those are up 160% and that number does not jive with the reported covid deaths by a long shot. That indicates the numbers there are either being covered up, or a large number are dying at home without ever seeing a hospital. I suspect the latter. I do know for example that all hospitals are 100% full in Puerto Vallarta, my brother in law lives there.

Again, look at the website, and see the 2nd column (Total Cases = confirmed cases) and column 4 (Total Deaths).
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The numbers get fuzzy (but support the more dire narratives) when you start using the entire population of a country as a basis for your morbidity rates from the virus, because that's where you don't know how many people have actually got it. That's why the only fact based morbidity rate has to be based on verified numbers, aka Total Cases and Total Deaths as a result. I agree that if you take the entire population and calculate the morbidity rate based on that, everything looks worse, but you've crossed over into hypotheticals and speculation at that point.
I can agree to disagree.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)