cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on a camper that's been sitting for 2+ years?

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad

We have a 2019 324BHTS Eagle TT. Used it regularly that year we got it, and then after covid, have only used it a time or 2. My guess is our last trip was likely toward the end of the summer 2021.

We decided it's time to get back to camping, and need to get it out of storage and home to start going through it again.

Besides it being relatively dusty on the inside, the tires have surprisingly held most of their pressure, roof is looking good, and when I turned on the battery kill switch everything powered up and all slides worked after sitting all this time.

Just curious some of the most important maintenance items I should be looking at now to have this road ready / camping ready again.

Will be towing it home this week or next to get a jump on things, and just wondering what the experts here would be doing to get everything up and running.

It has been winterized this whole time, but has also been sitting in a gravel storage facility.

Will the wheel bearings be an issue? I can't imagine the camper having much more than 1000 miles or so on it as most of our camping has been done locally with the exceptions of a few longer trips.
Any input will be helpful, and thank you in advance.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad

Even though you said the tires have held the air they still could be an issue. I would check the date codes on the tires, make sure they are withing that 7 year time frame. I am far from an expert but I would either diy or have someone do the wheel bearings. For me that would be time and money well spent. As for the rest of they system it would be just checking everything electrical both 12v and 120 making sure none of the friendly mice or whatever did not use the coating for a nest. I would flush out the water system very well as the antifreeze has been in there awhile. Once flushed out I would bleach out the lines making sure everything is ok. 

Sounds like you are getting ready to enjoy this coming summer, have fun

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

View solution in original post

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Aside from checking the batteries, electrical, plumbing and any LP systems I would definitely replace the tires. If they are original they are already 5 years old, sitting for 2 years they likely have dry rot and EOM tires on TTs are questionable to begin with. Well worth the money to mitigate the risk against a very expensive blowout.  Had a blowout on a FW once and it caused thousands in damages. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Definitely tires and sanitize the water system. Tires have to be at least 5 years old so I would suggest replacing them. Personally I wouldn't even look at the wheel bearings. I have maybe repacked mine all of 3 times in the last 18 years. I might repack them again in 2025.

As far as batteries it king of depends on how you camp. It you always camp with at least electrical power I would do nothing.
If you are going to rely on the batteries for dry camping I would replace them.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

sarahguillory
Explorer
Explorer

Change the tires. We had a blow out on ours that was sitting after one year. Lucky enough, our son had a friend in town. Our roadside assistant couldn't come and help.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I would also consider using the trailer in your driveway for a night to see how the battery(s) are holding up. Test all your appliances, furnace, water heater, water-pump, etc. That way there should be no surprises. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad

Definitely agree with the suggestion to camp in your driveway and test everything.  When you first hook water up, I'd carefully look and listen throughout the trailer and underneath to make sure you don't have leaks.  I know it's been winterized, but sitting outside that long you may have had mice or squirrels getting into the underbelly or cabinets and chewing through the lines.  They seem to like the pink stuff. 

Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Dave_in_TN has a good suggestion but I would go one better. Fill the fresh water tanks and run all the faucets to remove any air from the lines. Then close the faucets, water for the water pump to stop and then sit back and listen. If there is a leak anywhere the water pump will come back on from time to time.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

8 REPLIES 8

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Dave_in_TN has a good suggestion but I would go one better. Fill the fresh water tanks and run all the faucets to remove any air from the lines. Then close the faucets, water for the water pump to stop and then sit back and listen. If there is a leak anywhere the water pump will come back on from time to time.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad

Definitely agree with the suggestion to camp in your driveway and test everything.  When you first hook water up, I'd carefully look and listen throughout the trailer and underneath to make sure you don't have leaks.  I know it's been winterized, but sitting outside that long you may have had mice or squirrels getting into the underbelly or cabinets and chewing through the lines.  They seem to like the pink stuff. 

Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad

Thanks for all the input everyone!  Great ideas I wouldn't have considered.  Hopefully we'll be able to get the camper home next week, looks like rain this week now when I was planning on it.

Looks like I'll have some work to do in the coming weeks!

Thanks again.

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I would also consider using the trailer in your driveway for a night to see how the battery(s) are holding up. Test all your appliances, furnace, water heater, water-pump, etc. That way there should be no surprises. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

sarahguillory
Explorer
Explorer

Change the tires. We had a blow out on ours that was sitting after one year. Lucky enough, our son had a friend in town. Our roadside assistant couldn't come and help.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Definitely tires and sanitize the water system. Tires have to be at least 5 years old so I would suggest replacing them. Personally I wouldn't even look at the wheel bearings. I have maybe repacked mine all of 3 times in the last 18 years. I might repack them again in 2025.

As far as batteries it king of depends on how you camp. It you always camp with at least electrical power I would do nothing.
If you are going to rely on the batteries for dry camping I would replace them.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Aside from checking the batteries, electrical, plumbing and any LP systems I would definitely replace the tires. If they are original they are already 5 years old, sitting for 2 years they likely have dry rot and EOM tires on TTs are questionable to begin with. Well worth the money to mitigate the risk against a very expensive blowout.  Had a blowout on a FW once and it caused thousands in damages. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad

Even though you said the tires have held the air they still could be an issue. I would check the date codes on the tires, make sure they are withing that 7 year time frame. I am far from an expert but I would either diy or have someone do the wheel bearings. For me that would be time and money well spent. As for the rest of they system it would be just checking everything electrical both 12v and 120 making sure none of the friendly mice or whatever did not use the coating for a nest. I would flush out the water system very well as the antifreeze has been in there awhile. Once flushed out I would bleach out the lines making sure everything is ok. 

Sounds like you are getting ready to enjoy this coming summer, have fun

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly