cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid 19 warning

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, I just received news a good friend of mine passed away this morning from Covid 19. He got while RVing and they were being careful. His wife also go it, probably from him, but just got very ill. He was on a ventilator in hospital for 2 weeks. He was healthy and active. This is a wake up call for me. A winter at home beats eternity 6 ft under. This disease is not one to be blase about, it is not a hoax, it is not less dangerous than flu. Think long and hard before you decide to play Russian Roulette by heading for the sun this winter before there is a vaccine.
111 REPLIES 111

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The vaccine will be of little help in a country where maybe 50% eill not get the shot. Add to that if masks are not mandated the virus will win. Keep in mind that even the flu vaccine is only 50% effective.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Today is one of very few days I have gone out into our nearby city and been able to say to my husband "I'm so proud of everyone". Kudos to all the parents doning their over 2 year old children in masks, even in strollers. Of course theres' always that white elephant in the room = only one person in Canadian Superstore and one person in Home Depot not wearing a mask and they looked young and fit to me! Admittedly appearances can be deceptive.

What a shame though that it had to be mandated by the mayor pushing for everyone to start wearing in public places and on transportation. Yet the fine is a measly $50 if you don't and $200 if you as a business don't post the By Law. The postings were only about 8inch x 8inch and hard to spot amongst other signage!

Alas, there's a very broad loop hole for the non-wearers and the staff aren't allowed to question them for non-wearing or refuse to serve them.

Anyway's some positive today locally for us in what has been a ton of despair for too long. It was a pleasure to say to every child we encountered "THANK YOU for wearing your mask", and watch their little faces light up. Mom's and Dad's smiled and were proud as well.

Never hurts to praise good behaviour is my thought especially in all this misery right now.

PS: Tequilla, thanks for the info: I've been taking Vitamin D3 twice a day 2 x 2000 IU's = 4000 IU for over 15 years. Maybe that is what saved me twice in this COVID thing from being close to hospitalised?
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
They keep saying 2021 for a vaccine so people don't get too over-enthusiastic and start to get careless. The Russians intend to start mass inoculations of their vaccine in October. The Mexican government is talking about the Oxford vaccine in October. I suspect they will be rolled out first in countries where the regulatory procedure is not as tight. In countries where you work or you die, taking a chance on an unproven vaccine does not seem like much of a risk. If a 30,000 person trial works out well, I won't have much hesitation. The older you are the greater the benefit/risk ratio. In the meantime take 2000 IU of vitamin D3 a day, the evidence is mounting it helps survival chances, and it wont do any harm.

Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
I know the actual number of cases and deaths. It's shown on that website.
No, you do not know the actual number of cases. I know of at least 10 coworkers that have mild symptoms but have not been tested. That's just the 10 or so I know about. They are young and otherwise healthy.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:
It looks like we are in the last phase of a promising vaccine. The trial is said to take 3 months, so if it proves to be effective, that should make a vaccine available by November. They have also said they are already producing the vaccine in a gamble that it will work, so the supply will be available when the time comes. Give a month for people to receive it which gives us hope to start getting out by January. We are hoping for this outcome, how about you?

I keep hearing consistently that it will be early 2021 until it's actually available to regular non-trial users.

The problem is that based on lots of polling, a large percentage of folks are saying they won't trust it, feeling it's being rushed, and may be unsafe. That will greatly diminish the effectiveness, as far as creating herd immunity, and lots of people will still be at risk.

On top of that, we have the gang who're spreading nonsense about chips being implanted in us by the vaccine, that's not helping.

Of course, if it works, those that get it will be fine. If it works. I'll probably wait a month or so, and see if those early adopters start growing a third eye in their foreheads or start shambling about like zombies 🙂

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Bowti wrote:
It looks like we are in the last phase of a promising vaccine. The trial is said to take 3 months, so if it proves to be effective, that should make a vaccine available by November. They have also said they are already producing the vaccine in a gamble that it will work, so the supply will be available when the time comes. Give a month for people to receive it which gives us hope to start getting out by January. We are hoping for this outcome, how about you?

Bring it on. Woohoo. 🙂

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I believe the "jury is in" on Hydroxychloroquine.

"“Hydroxychloroquine is not effective in the treatment of coronavirus disease or COVID-19,” Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on MSNBC on Wednesday. He cited the results of numerous clinical trials that he said have “consistently” shown this."

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/fauci-hydroxychloroquine-is-not-effective_n_5f2197f3c5b6b8cd63b0...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, i just saw an article on that video, the organization "front line doctors" was formed 2 weeks ago and has now been disbanded. Many of the "doctors" there were not practicing doctors, 2 of them were eye doctors. All of them were political activists. None of them have worked with Covid 19 patients. The group seems to have been assembled to support the presidents beliefs about hydroxychloroquine. I am not saying the president organized it or encouraged it (although he did tweet it). I do not think he set it up, but some of his less enlightened supporters apparently did. Regardless, pushing unproven drugs is the sort of thing more appropriate to horse & buggy snake oil salesmen, than the 21st century. It would be nice if hydroxy turned out to be a cure, but until that is proven, it is dangerous to push debatable drugs.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
As my dad used to say,

Their lack of stupidity is appaling
if they were just stupid
we could forgive them
they live in buble
of blissful ignorance

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure who saw the video on hydroxychloroquine the other day that was subsequently taken down by facebook. I have now received some emails from acquaintances who are now circulating it like a chain letter. If you get one, below is a response you can send out to them.

-There are no scientific double blind studies that demonstrate Hydroxychloroquine works. Recovery form Covid follows very erratic patterns, and why a 100 year old individual will recover and a 30 year old succumb, is largely unknown. You could give someone sugar cubes have them recover and claim the sugar did it. There is no way to prove cause and effect.

-Hydroxychloroquine can cause heart arythmia in some people. Since Covid also stresses the heart, it is possible some people given it have died when they may have otherwise survived. No way to tell.

-About 1 in 20 people suffer from an X Chromosome transmitted genetic defect called G6PD. Like most X chromosome defects, this nearly always affects men and is prevalent in both Black & Mediterranean populations. (10% of the population in parts of Italy) It only affects women if they inherit 2 defective X Chromosones. This defect is known to make your chances of survival from Covid less, and may be part of the reason the disease hit Italy so hard, and also hits black populations hard. It may also explain why men are less likely to survive than women. Most people do not even know they have it as it is asymptomatic, and as it happens Hydroxychloroquine can be very dangerous to people with this condition and can cause extreme anemia and hemolysis.

-Hydroxychloroquine is prescribed to people with Lupus and rheumatoid problems. Studies of people on the drug for these 2 legitimate conditions have shown they are no less likely to die from Covid than people not on the drug. This is probably the best indication that it is probably ineffective for Covid.

-People trying Hydroxychloroquine for Covid usually take it in conjunction with an antibiotic. Since bacterial pneumonia is often a by-product of Covid, this aspect could help.

-People getting on the hydroxychloroquine bandwagon are causing shortages of this drug for people who need it for the purpose for which it was originally intended.

-The woman in the video is a known nut case, She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches. She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by ‘reptilians’ and other aliens. Most MD’s are reliable but there are ones out there that are not. This one in particular seems to be a case, of “the treadmills running, but the hamster is gone”

-The Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine, the 2 most respected medical journals currently consider this snake oil, and until proven otherwise that is what this is. It can also be dangerous so spreading videos like this is really not doing anyone any favors. They can cause people to self medicate with a drug that is known to be dangerous to maybe 15% of the population.

-If you want to try something that has been written up in the Lancet, try taking Vitamin D supplements. There is a strong indication that adding maybe 2000 IU a day can help. People with dark skin do not absorb Vitamin D well via sunlight and especially when they move to cloudier climates. This could help explain the higher death rate among American blacks, and also nursing homes where residents do not get out. A study in Indonesia showed 85% of Covid deaths had Vitamin D deficiencies. Vitamin D is know to improve respiratory health and it won’t harm taking it as long as you don’t overdo it. Some studies on this are now being done, but at least it’s not harmful to take.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-couples-alaska-1.5670867

This is kind of important.

Canadians can travel to USA--but returning might not be allowed!

Oh yes they can return Pianotuna!! 14 day isolation but they can come and go to their hearts content outside of that according to this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741

How ludicrous! What the heck is the point in closing motor vehicles (everyone in their own bubble) crossing into the USA but able to travel in confined cramped airplane spaces down to the USA?

What am I missing here folks? I don't get it.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-couples-alaska-1.5670867

This is kind of important.

Canadians can travel to USA--but returning might not be allowed!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Flyboy320 wrote:
magicbus wrote:
I was always under the impression that CA health was pretty good. Now I’m confused when JaxDad said:

The driver said that while he waiting in the emergency reception area a family of 6 came in showing obvious symptoms of being sick and were seeking testing, they were told it would be $200 per test, plus, plus, plus whatever else they could charge them.

So COVID tests aren’t included???

Dave

I read that "JaxDad" post as the hospital visit happening in the USA after a minor traffic accident there.

That’s the way I read it too.
Then we’ll chalk that up to a reading comprehension issue :B.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tequila,

Free in Saskatchewan as well. And on an on demand.
Regards, Don