cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crooker River SP, GA

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to spend a short week at Crooked River SP in May and looking for area things to do. A 26' B+ with no toad and interested in eateries, sites and history, parking can be an issue. Also info on sea food markets to get fresh fish, shrimp & whatever. A cozy tavern is always welcome.
thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
8 REPLIES 8

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
There's not a whole lot to do in the immediate area. If you don't mind driving an hour, you'll have more options. About 40 minutes north is Jekyll Island, GA. It's a nice day trip. The historic downtown area has some interesting history of the US's most wealthy of the early 1900s (in its hayday, 1/6th of the country's wealth spent their winters on Jekyll Island). If you golf, there are several courses. You can visit shark tooth beach and search for shark's teeth. People have found Megalodon Shark teeth on the beach. There are lots of walking and biking trails throughout the island. The Wharf in the historic district is one of our favorite restaurants on the island. It is only open for dinner. You do have to pay to go on the island (it is a GA State Park), for a RV, I think it is $12 for the day. There is plenty of parking available for large and small RVs.

About 45 minutes west is the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge. Lots of walking trails here as well as Swamp Island Drive, which is a loop through the swamp where you will often see alligators in the small ponds along the road way. Along Swamp Island Drive is the Cheeser Homestead, you can see what it was like to live in the swamp. Although it is not where the homestead was originally located, the home is the Cheeser's home, moved from its original location. There is also a boardwalk with an observation tower at the end. We have seen alligators along the walk as well as other wildlife. You will usually see Alligator in the lake that the tower looks out on. You can take a boat tour of the swamp as well as rent kayaks or canoes.

A trip south to Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach is a nice day trip. It's about 45 minutes south from Crooked River. There are a lot of nice dining options in downtown Fernandina as well as on the beach. There is parking available along the beach. I'm not sure about the downtown area. I know there are parking lots, but not sure if they offer parking for RVs.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
I've watch a couple come thru the inlet past Fort Clinch unsubmerged. It's an impressive sight. Gun boats fore and aft with attack choppers overhead. They move back and forth to a repair facility in Mayport as needed.

Didn't think about them moving out for repairs. Good point. Was just thinking operationally.

Friend of mine's ex son in law was stationed there as a submariner. I know their departures were generally at times you and I would probably be sleeping.

You know, heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who...

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've watch a couple come thru the inlet past Fort Clinch unsubmerged. It's an impressive sight. Gun boats fore and aft with attack choppers overhead. They move back and forth to a repair facility in Mayport as needed.
Puma 30RKSS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I've stayed at Crooked River several times. We go to the Amelia Island Shrimp festival and stay at Crooked River. We still go down there, even with Shrimp festival having been canceled past two years.

Not much of anything going on locally. We go just to relax and chill at the state park. You won't see any subs.. their movements are concealed/not disclosed on purpose.

The submariner museum is cool, so that is one thing you could do.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few year but I don't recall there being much of anything you mentioned in the area. And you aren't going to see any subs. You could day-trip down to St. Mary's.

I'd suggest you instead stay at Ft. Clinch SP, Amelia Island, Fla., and go into Fernandina.
-jbh-

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed there in the summer some years ago. Interesing where the river entered the ocean. The shoreline was several feet - 50-60 feet maybe below the campground and was falling away. A walking trail had disappeared, a sewer line was hanging and useless, several sites were closed because of the erosion.
The bugs had a very healthy appetite.
We went hoping to see a submarine of two, putting to sea or coming into port. I think we were in the wrong area. We have no plans to ever go back in the summer
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
St. Marys Submarine Museum
102 W Saint Marys St, St. Marys, GA

Cumberland Island National Seashore Museum

Spouse's Bakery and Deli
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
One of our regular dinner stops when we're staying at Crooked River is the Ship2Shore restaurant in Kingsland. It's nicely casual dinning, the way we like it. Also, if you save your receipt and go back again within two weeks, one entree is half price. I can't help on taverns, but I'm sure the Navy boys next door at Kings Bay submarine base know where the best ones are... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ship2Shore Restaurant
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate