cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Devils Tower, Wyoming

homelesshartsho
Explorer
Explorer
Rapid City, Sturgis, Deadwood, Lead, Spearfish, Belle Fourche, Aladdin Wy , Aladdin, Hulett, Devils Tower, Sundance, Four Corners, Newcastle, Hells Canyon, Custer SD
Stopped over night in Rapid City and then on to Sturgis, Deadwood and Lead for a big day of bike riding and checking out the Tourist Shopโ€™s. Its amazing to watch rain storms coming over the plains. You can watch a storm for an hour or two coming your way to only find it raining on you for a few minutes. Finally ran about twenty miles of interstate up from Rapid City to Belle Fourche. And then back on our two lane Journey.
Came at the Devils Tower from the north and following the Belle Fourche River through Aladdin and Hullett. Wonderful old Coal Mine to explore along the way with a neat 115 year old grocery store in Aladdin, WY. Population 15! The town of Hulett is also very picturesque.
When we got to Devils Tower the weather was cool and perfect to hike the tower trail. Not a lot to see here unless you want to clime the tower! But the camp ground is very nice dry camping.
Made our ways back to the Black Hills taking a route through the Thunder Basin National Grassland and onto the Crazy Horse Campground in Custer, SD. Staying here for four days and see what we can see in the Black Hills National Park.
12 REPLIES 12

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
CharlesinGA wrote:
The trail around the base is asphalt, with benches to sit and rest or enjoy the view in places. Its an easy walk but about 4400 ft elevation, so for lowlanders, they may find themselves short of breath when finished. Walk all the way around and take pics from different vantage points, as the light angles are different as you move around it.

Charles
Especially for old, out of shape flatlanders who start at the Belle Fourche Campground at the bottom. By the time we got to the base trail, we were huffin & puffin pretty good. But still a good time. :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I was just there two weeks ago. It is closed to climbers during June out of respect for the neighboring tribes, who conduct a number of ceremonies at the mountain around the summer solstice.

But, as a geologist, it is a pretty spectacular example of an igneous intrusion showing columnar jointing!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I have a page of photos of Devils Tower, some of climbers & many taken along the trail around the base of the tower.

Devils Tower

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this the same mountain they filmed Close encounters? Looks like a nice stop but a difficult climb.

Yep, same one. And it's a technical climb (i.e. you need equipment). Pretty popular with climbers!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The trail around the base is asphalt, with benches to sit and rest or enjoy the view in places. Its an easy walk but about 4400 ft elevation, so for lowlanders, they may find themselves short of breath when finished. Walk all the way around and take pics from different vantage points, as the light angles are different as you move around it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this the same mountain they filmed Close encounters? Looks like a nice stop but a difficult climb.

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
The trail around the tower is just a little over a mile long and affords some beautiful views. We didn't stay overnight, just a quick stop.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ahh, the differences in time, Pretty sure today he would be arrested and given a hefty fine, instead of being heralded as a hero.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I've always wanted to visit the tower someday and see what it was like on the top. Google Earth finally has good images of it and I realize I haven't been missing much LOL.
Still, it's a bucket list thing to experience.
IIRC You can't get to the "Top" unless you're a climber with a permit.

Or you can be like this guy.

https://www.nps.gov/deto/learn/historyculture/first-fifty-years-george-hopkins.htm

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I've always wanted to visit the tower someday and see what it was like on the top. Google Earth finally has good images of it and I realize I haven't been missing much LOL.
IIRC You can't get to the "Top" unless you're a climber with a permit.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been to most of those places, just not in a row, sounds like a nice trip.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad