cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eastern Wisconsin

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We will have about 10 days at beginning of June between Elgin, IL (outside Chicago) and Bailey's Harbor (Door County) where we will meet up with friends. Looking for suggestions of places to stay, things to do.

My spouse can't walk much at all...uses walker and scooter. So we're limited in sightseeing. But we like nature, unusual museums, farming attractions, factory tours. Not into shopping or big cities.

So far thinking about Lake Geneva and Manitowoc/Two Rivers areas.

We'd like at least electric hookup but can go without for a couple days.

Comments and suggestions welcome!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
15 REPLIES 15

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I camped there, it was great place. I think I camped at Timber Trail in West Bend. Later I camped at Road America race track.

Beautiful and very prosperous area. "Every corner has two churches and four bars." Rode my motorcycle through there, Sheboygan very scenic.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
More great info! Thanks a bunch! Keeping it all on my list of possibilities.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add something for Door County. If the weather is good when you are there make sure to stop at Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant. It has a grass roof and they have goats that graze the roof. You can also check out the Goat Cam. The food there is excellent as well.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha! You want more relaxed back road driving along with all the nice towns and sights that come with it!
May want to check out the road America race track area. Lots to see and do around there. I believe Plymouth WI. Also Fremont WI is really nice!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for all the great suggestions!

We don't really want to go as far west as the Dells and Baraboo, but I'm sure the Circus Museum and other stuff would be fun to see.

We're actually from AZ, just visiting friends/family in the Chicago area.

Love the Rustic Roads website!
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I forgot all about Circus World Museum. They have the world's largest collection of restored circus wagons and many buildings full of exhibits. Twice a day they have circus performances. They also have magic acts, shows that explain clown face painting how the circus moved by rail.
I go there several times a year and hear the calliope all over town. Baraboo is one of the only places where you can say that your neighbor is a clown and it is not an insult.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We camped up by Two Rivers a few years ago and had a blast (Scheffel's Hideaway CG). Nice beach up there, and like others mentioned, it's near Manitowac, which is a cool town.

There is a paved trail right along the lake that connects the 2 towns. So you may enjoy that area even with a scooter. We watched the big ferry boat dock while there, the one that goes from Manitowac to Ludington, Mi. It's definitely a nice area to visit for a few days.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The only trouble with the Dells and Baraboo areas is that they are two hours west of the eastern part of WI. But I agree, lots to do in the area, Circus World is awesome. Just avoid the "Dells strip" and downtown Dells.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe that BarabooBob didn't bring up the Circus Mueseum in Baraboo. We have been there three times. You should arrange to drop the wife by the door because parking is a little bit far.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe that BarabooBob didn't bring up the Circus Mueseum in Baraboo. We have been there three times. You should arrange to drop the wife by the door because parking is a little bit far.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Cliffside County Park is about 20 minutes south of downtown Milwaukee. No water connections, but it is big rig friendly and a beautiful park as a base.

As said the Harley Museum is excellent, as is the Milwaukee County Zoo. Also worth a visit is the Milwaukee Public Market in the 3rd ward. And you can’t miss the Milwaukee Art Museum. The Calatrava addition is free to the general public.

We love the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area. If you can get in, highly recommend Point Beach State Forest. If you can't get in try Scheffel’s Hideaway. A little tight but great hosts and just outside the park. Full hookups available.

The Maritime Museum in Manitowoc is a highlight. Very cool to visit. On Saturday morning they have a pretty good farmers market across from the Manitowoc library. The Pinecrest Historical Village outside of Manitowoc is a really neat historical museum.

If you don't already have accommodations in Door County, I highly recommend Egg Harbor Campground, just north of Egg Harbor. Full hookups available, excellent hosts, and 20 minutes from all the most popular things in Door County. It's 10 minutes from Bailey's Harbor. We stay here 3 times a season.

A drive through Peninsula State park called for. Lots of scenic overlooks. Cave Point county park is a beautiful and unique place to visit. The main part of it is wheel chair accessible. There is also “The Farm” which is a living working farm museum just outside Sturgeon Bay. Also drive around Door County, especially the side roads, beauty everywhere you go. There’s other things, most of what I’m thinking about requires walking or bike riding. If I think of anything else that’s easy I’ll update the post.

Look for Rustic Roads in WI. Usually these are roads which generally have an old time back woods sort of feel. You can find maps here: WI Rustic Roads
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
If you are into motorcycles or historical vehicles, the Harley Davidson Museum is worth a few hours on the south side of Milwaukee.

I second the recommendation of the Milwaukee Zoo, and agree that there is some great stuff to do up in the Manitowac area.

If you are really into plants and flowers, the Botanical Gardens (the 'domes') in Milwaukee are worth some time, but they are admittedly not what they used to be.

Sprecher and Miller both have brewery tours in Milwaukee.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Kohler-Andrae State Park is a great lakeshore park, one of the best in the area. But it is very popular and you should get reservations. If you like factory tours, Kohler is a great place to learn about toilets 😉
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old World Wisconsin near Eagle, WI is a great living history museum. It is just west of Milwaukee.

The Milwaukee Zoo is outstanding and is totally wheelchair accessible.

The Experimental Aircraft Association just south of Oshkosh is worth the stop if you are interested in private, military, or commercial planes.

In Manitowoc there is the Wisconsin Maritime Museum. They have a WW2 submarine, the USS Cobia, on permanent display. I believe everything at the museum is accessible except the sub.

Being from the midwest, I assume that you are a Green Bay Packer fan so you could visit Lambeau Field.

Just a few things to take into consideration.

BarabooBob
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired