cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fishing in Yellowstone?

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, We are planning for our trip to Yellowstone and I was hoping to have a morning (or day) to do a little fishing. My problem is I have little to no experience with fishing other than bass fishing we do in Texas. I really would love for my daughter to catch some trout. I wouldn't mind using a guide if it wasn't to expensive and they were kid friendly. I guess what I am getting at is I am lost on how to go about it. Any suggestions thoughts or recommendations would be great!
Thanks
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI
22 REPLIES 22

John_I_Haggerty
Explorer
Explorer
I used to fish Yellowstone a lot over 20 years ago. My best friend "Fish Man" (now fishing with God) and I use to fish there 10 days straight every fall. What I remember is license was cheap and there were certain stream sections for kids.

I've fished a lot over the last 45 years for many species in many locations. Yellowstone was my favorite. I often think of the great fishing I did with "Fish Man'. Never before, or again, did I find that catching so many fish could become boring. First hole, second valley, Lamar River, don't get better than that.

Now if I can only spend less time fishing Canada and Gulf Coast, I'd be fishing the many streams in the park.
2008 Keystone Cougar 31BHS

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
Inferno Red, Khaki leather, CTD, 68RFE
Trailer tow, Anti-spin, Sunroof, Tube steps, DVD based GPS, etc...

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the replies. I will check the links and suggestions.

narcodog: we will be staying at madison campground and then colter bay rv park.
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have fished the Park for the last six years. Where are you going to stay. That will determine some of the answers I can give you.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:
Check on the cost of out of state fishing licenses. That might change your mind.

No State license required if fishing inside Park boundaries. A Park permit is, though- same fees apply for everyone regardless of where you come from....and kids age 15 and under fish free.

More info at Yellowstone Park Fishing Permit
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the fishing Iโ€™ve seen in Yellowstone is fly fishing. But Iโ€™m not a fisherman so what do I know. I do know kids under 16 donโ€™t need a permit and an adult does, but the fees are cheap. And there's no state license needed. But the regs can be complex, some regulate the bait used, and some are catch and return and so on. Plus there are regs about whatโ€™s open and when. I think it would be very useful to go on the Yellowstone link about fishing in the park and see what they say. But Iโ€™m sure some real fishermen on the forum can give you some good tips, like the best places to fish, etc.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Yellowstone fishing license is $10.00. A few years ago I did a guided float trip on the Madison river. I wasn't going to do it because it was about $400.00; Jean insisted I do it. It was the BEST MONEY I have spend in a long time. It was a great day!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the Fishing Bridge Marina - Xanterra Concessionaire has Fishing Guides and information.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/things-to-do/summer-things-to-do/adventures-on-water/guided-fishingsightseeing-charter-boat-tours/

We worked with one of the guides - they know their way around the lake.

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Check on the cost of out of state fishing licenses. That might change your mind.