cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting stuck in sand

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where I should put this, but figure folks who boondock would know. Last time we went out, we almost got stuck in the sand. Is there a trick to dig yourself out if your out in the boondocks and away from any help? Thanks
44 REPLIES 44

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Dumping kitty litter in a county, city or federal land is illegal, Newman. So if I get stuck on Newmanโ€™s land I can dump kitty litter?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
These are some great ideas other than the kitty litter... not seeing how that will help in sand. Great for sopping up leaked oil if you tear open your oil or transmission though.

Gary mentioned above about crossing washes. This can be a much bigger deal than many realize. Some of these crossing points are just steep enough that you can get really hung up either dropping in or trying to climb out, and if that happens it's usually not something most folks are prepared to extricate themselves from. Also, a passing storm far from your location can cause a flash flood many miles away washing away your exit road.

Watch the weather, presurvey your route if possible, be as prepared as possible including jacks and timbers if you really are heading into remote desert country.

Just my opinion after a few years of desert boondocking. Have a great trip!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
First time I went to Quartzsite I got stuck in the sand. Deflated tires a bit. Dug out about 6 feet at a time. Shortly thereafter a lady piled into a bush just behind me so I dug her out so I could proceed. Sweaty job.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
A good jack, a shovel, and some carpet or similar mat material. If you are buried so the differential is on the ground it is time to jack it up. You will need to jack it up fill in the hole under the tires and place the mat under the tires. Never stop going up hill in sand always stop on the crest or down slope. If you air down you will need a way to air up also.
Turret Class traveler

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
reduce your tire pressure to 1/3 or even less to 25 % of rating. An 80 psi E tire will be fine at 25 psi without breaking the bead. Guidelines for driving in sand, on beaches can be found on national seashores websites.
The national seashores of the outer banks in NC where driving on the beaches is permitted recommend lowering tire pressure as low as 25 % of rating to drive on the sand.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You are going into pretty remote country. I have been in there a couple four times. You don't need to worry so much about soft sand as going thru the beds where there have been flash floods. The angle of exit is going to be what causes you the grief. If your RV has a lot of rear end over hang, you are in a hazard zone. You can and will get hung up as you try to climb the angle out. There are only a couple ways to tackle this...and speed isn't one of them. Speed will rip the guts out from underneath. Speaking of which...what is under there? Tanks or plumbing? You might want to invest in an aluminum skid plate..a shield. Get a plate the size to cover and protect. Screw it into place. Man..I just dunno...this is dangerous stuff. If there is a flash flood, it will eat you alive if you are sitting there. Are you solo or is there another vehicle?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Carry a few bags of kitty litter

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Slowly apply 'parking brake to load rear differential and control tire spin

Probably it goes without saying, but this won't work if you're lucky (unlucky?) enough to have a chassis with a driveshaft mounted parking brake for obvious reasons.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Thanks so much. We are going to Valley of the Gods and I was just thinking "what if"

Keep the RV on paved areas as much as possible or at a campground and drive your toad into the park..

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much. We are going to Valley of the Gods and I was just thinking "what if"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Shovel. Dig. No vehicle I've ever owned was capable of driving straight up from a hole.

Now, next time, walk it before you drive on it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lower tire pressure, a shovel, boards and a tow rope. Always in the Tahoe.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air tires down......just be aware you can pop bead and tire off wheel when doing so.

Carpet strips laid down in front/back of drive tires

Slowly apply 'parking brake to load rear differential and control tire spin

Carry a 'sand wedge & winch/come-along' to pull yourself out

Stay out of sand!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I watch a lot of YouTube videos of big RV's stuck in sand on beaches, I am not sure I would want to take a 20,000lb anything on the beach but that's me..

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you were driving or pulling or....??? but the quick obvious answer for 'stuck in the sand' is to air down your tires ...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro