cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadside assistance woes!

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been a while since I have needed roadside assistance, but my experience over the past few days has been frustrating. My big old Bounder is stuck in the dirt from being parked on my lot too long. Trying to find someone to come and pull me out seems to be impossible. After trying both Progressive and Good Sam and receiving quotes of nearly $700 out of pocket, I am still trying to get some service. Dispatchers call and tell me they are having trouble finding a provider in my area and that I should find my own provider and apply for reimbursement from my insurance. Does anyone have a good experience with road service as I am looking to find better protection. Thanks!
chartrue2@aol.com
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used my insurance rider. Paid out of pocket and Nationwide reimbursed promptly.

Usually within the week.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Does your RV have working leveling jacks? If it does, use them to raise the rig out of the holes while you fill them in. You may need to put blocks under the jack pads to get them to lift high enough. If you don't want to lift the entire RV, just do one end at a time.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have GS roadside assistance and when I got stuck in the mud behind the house they sent two trucks because the only path was a curve. The only cost was supplying the guys with cold drinks for the two hours it took. Never got a bill.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
My 31' Class C got stuck in the mud while sitting in storage a few years ago. I called a local tow truck. They came, had a long cable and winch and were able to get me out in very little time. Didn't cost too much. I believe they were able to pull from my hitch. Had I been parked the opposite way I'm not sure what they would have connected to. As posted above, you'd want them to be careful not to pull on the wrong thing so as to do damage.

After my RV got stuck in the mud in the storage place (which is basically just a field), I had 18 cubic yards of base rock dropped off (~$500) and I rented a small tractor loader (~$150) to spread it to make 3 parking pads for my RVs to sit on. Now I don't need to worry about getting stuck as it is hard as a rock.

I haven't heard them mentioned here, but AAA Roadside assistance (Premiere/Premium covers RVs) is also an option. I have AAA. Have used them a couple times for other vehicles (truck and boat once) and have been pleased. I haven't needed them on my RVs yet.

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I won't go into details, but last couple of experiences I've had with roadside assistance via Good Sam ERS have been very disappointing as well.

I am to the point I am seriously considering dumping our Good Sam ERS soon. With how much coverage there is now for smart phones everywhere, and the availability of almost anything you need with just a quick search or two on a smart phone....Seems like emergency roadside service coverage is no longer really necessary and a waste of $$. For areas where there is limited coverage, roadside assistance would be little help, anyway, as they make it very, very difficult to get service if you don't have good cell coverage. Last few times I've needed emergency roadside service, I've been able to get better, quicker, and less expensive service much easier on my own.

That said.....I do tend to agree that its a bit of a stretch to expect roadside service to pay anything for a service call involving getting an RV freed up that is stuck, off road. I'd expect in that case, to have to pay out of pocket for most if not all service needed.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If you were to get some friends to try and pull you out with a winch do not let them winch from your front axle. If they were to winch from the front axle it may cause serious damage to you rig.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PS you might want to remove your email addy from your signature line.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Got a neighbor with a 4x4 pickup and a chain?
Not sure roadside assistance includes pulling a derelict vehicle out of the yard where it resides. My biggest frustration would be if I was paying for 2 different roadside assistance plans. Especially for a vehicle that is not on the road.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
$200 per/hr (for men and equipment - door to door)) to pull a big class A out of the mud in NJ seem about right to me. So how long do you think it will take?
In my mind, Stuck off road in the mud is a stretch for being called โ€œroadsideโ€ assistance.

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
I've got CoachNet. Used it twice -locked the keys in my truck, and a blowout on the TT. Great service from them.
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber