cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

i40 Campgrounds NC to CA family of 5 and Penny the Pig

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
Relocating in July from Asheville, NC to Santa Cruz, CA.
asked before but narrowed it down now..
Towing 30' TT. with diesel Excursion.
Family of 5 plus 85lb pig in crate in trunk ๐Ÿ™‚
Plan to drive over 10 days (maybe 14) and want the most direct route i40. Will need to stop every few hours, but can drive up t0 8 hrs/day first few days inc.stops.
Is there a map app where you can type in driving time and see how far that gets you? I can type in destinations and get time, but want to view it other way around!
Would like to get the first parts of this done quickly so we can spend more time in New Mexico. Find some swimming holes, cool off, fun sites, but can't leave TT for more than 4 hours because of Penny the Pig. Not go too far off i40.
Tips on campgrounds to spend 1 night in TN (asheville to Memphis is 8 hours straight so somewhere 2 hours before Memphis 1st stop perhaps?), OK, near i40. Amarillo? Then campgrounds to spend time exploring the sites in NM....Kids want to see Vegas, figure 1 night enough, been there done that. Grand Canyon?
We will need at least electric hookup for A/C. Ideally ones where Penny the Pig can get out and eat some grass and be on a long leash under trees. Dog areas not suitable for pigs (dogs LOVE pigs in a risky way)
Any suggestions appreciated. Want this to be fun! (pig hates the car, that's our biggest issues but working on it, she liked the TT though!)
28 REPLIES 28

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Santa Rosa State Park. New Mexico.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely no experience with it, but someone on a forum recommended

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon

and from the web site I have to agree. It is a HUGE canyon. Probably worth a two night stay, giving you a full day in the park.

About 10 miles off of I-27 and a total of 30 miles off of I-40 in Amarillo, so access is quite easy.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
only 2 weeks until we leave!
So far I've planned some of the route, but the plan may not go as we think, but..
1. Asheville to Parkers Crossroads RV Park in Yuma, TN. 6hrs. Or to Natchez SP 6hrs too. but Parkers seems closer to i40 and it's really just an overnight stop to rest, get organised, kids can swim and the pig can eat some grass..... 1 night
2. from there to Sallisaw KOA, OK. about 6hrs. 1 night.
3. on to Amarillo, TX 6hrs. 1 night. Anything really worth seeing there, other than Cadillac Ranch where my boys want to spray paint......?
4. this then leaves us about 7 nights to get from Amarillo to Santa Cruz, CA. Is there anything worth stopping over for between Amarillo and Albuquerque? Is Albuquerque a good place to base ourselves for 2 or 3 nights to explore the nearby sites? Then Grand Canyon area and then onwards...

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for this everyon, will definitely check your suggestions out. To see the Grand Canyon as part of this trip where'd you base yourself? Would that be a 1 night stop after 1 night in Vegas (kids want to see vegas, I've been there done that and not bothered....)
I think for the first night or two we may just get to a campground and chill out, let the kids run and pig graze. So maybe the State Campgrounds on the lake, mentioned in post, before Memphis good for that? I think after a lot of driving and getting used to things we may just want to relax and not go out to explore....

I also like the sound of the campground with the train that goes to the Grand Canyon, anyone done that?? Is it a great trip, or better to drive to Grand Canyon on way out of Vegas and spend 1 night there? thanks!

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
Riding in the trunk -- that will be awfully HOT and you may not have a pig when you get to your destination. August -- HOT, HOT, HOT

It's an Excursion, not sure what he meant by trunk.

True, what do you call the large storage back bit in the Excursion, open trunk? I am English, to me it's called the 'boot'!

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Riding in the trunk -- that will be awfully HOT and you may not have a pig when you get to your destination. August -- HOT, HOT, HOT

It's an Excursion, not sure what he meant by trunk.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
See what you think of this itinerary... I provided links where I could.

1st Stop: Two Rivers Campgroundor Nashville KOA... Just up Briley Parkway from I-40 (about 5 miles) and near the "New" Grand Ole Opry and plenty of restaurants. Both, obviously, are FHU.

2nd Stop: (Don't laugh!) Toad Suck Campground. It's a COE park right on the Arkansas River, kinda out in the country โ€“ where they probably wouldn't have a problem w/Penny โ€“ but still accessible to I-40. W/E only with a dump station.

3rd Stop: Roadrunner RV Park, not too far off I-40 on I-35 South... Or Twin Fountains RV Park a bit farther out in the northeast part of town, but near the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. Also, both FHU. By all means, do try to take a day/afternoon to head downtown to visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial.

4th Stop: Oasis RV Park just west of Amarillo. Level, flat (it is, after all, the Texas Panhandle) FHU. Pool, hot tub and I believe they'll deliver a pizza right to your rig!

5th Stop: American RV Resort on the west side of Albuquerque. FHU, pool, hot tub, PIG(?) park, WiFi, Continental Breakfast w/your site.

6th Stop: Oasis Las Vegas Resort Easy to get to from I-215 and well south of The Strip... It's actually in Paradise, but I won't split that hair. The office/front desk is open 24/7. This would be your "Big Push" for this leg of your trip. Eight hours. I have my own reasons, but I do NOT stop (i.e., spend money) EVER in Arizona.

FYI: With the exception of Nashville, these are the stops we make on our way from Tuscaloosa to the Nevada high desert for Burning Man. You can balance your travel days with a little fun stuff so the kids 'n' Penny don't get too bored.

Make sure everyone has a tablet charger. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
In Amarillo we stayed at Amarillo Ranch RV Park for a few days for a family reunion.

Grants,New Mexico..
Lavaland RV Park
only did a overnight here.

I would skip Lost Wages and use the time at better places. Try to come through the L.A area late at night and use
I-210 west (off of the I-15) to the 101 west then take the coast all the way up.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
In a lot of cases you may have better luck finding open spaces by checking on the state parks. We have just gotten the state tourism brochures from their websites and in some cases parks brochures on Tn, Ark, Ok, NM, Az, all sent information and park listings. Since your not going till July, order those and you should be able to find Penny a few nice spots. GC has a Pet hotel at the park entrance so going there may be workable.
As far as your distances look at Natchez Trace state park in Tn, Between Nashville and Jackson and close to 40,
In Ark look in the area west of Little Rock, Lake Dardanelle State Park or Lake Fort Smith state park are both close to 40,
West of there I cant say , Thats as far west as I have camped.
DW said to tell you "Cheers to Penny", she loves pigs.
She used to own a pet shop.

thanks will check these out!!

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
jukes wrote:
...near i40. Amarillo?...
Try Overnite RV Park. They have some sites with individually fenced yards. Not sure how they feel about pigs?

thanks will do!

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Between Nashville and Memphis is Natchez Trace SP about 11 miles from the interstate. The campground is on a lake for an enjoyable dip for the kids. If you go to the lake away from the beach, even Penny can have a swim.

From there, a good days run would be Sallisaw, OK where there is a nice KOA with a good pool. It has been about 12 years since I've stayed there, but the are still getting good reviews and looks about the same on Google Earth. There is a small airport nearby, but back then it was mainly used by small commuters so only busy for about an hour in the afternoon and never really bothersome. We traveled from just east of Nasheville to here in May 2005 and was stopped before 5 which gave the kids a good time to swim. Like you, the first day we wanted to push but not kill ourselves.

From there, we did make Amarillo despite having a flat west of Oklahom, but that was a long day.

Thanks good info, will definitely check these out!

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
Wavesprite wrote:
I have no advise for you, other then you will love Santa Cruz. We're right down the road in Carmel and your pig will be welcome in Santa Cruz with open arms (no permit required). In my town the stupid government just fought to get some folks to get rid of theirs. Which is sad!!!!

Hello! Carmel is beautiful!! We will have almost 3 acres in Aptos for Penny to enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚ and yes luckily she is allowed. Sad when they aren't, especially since they are generally quieter than dogs and even cleaner (given the choice!) Keep in touch!

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
I have no advise for you, other then you will love Santa Cruz. We're right down the road in Carmel and your pig will be welcome in Santa Cruz with open arms (no permit required). In my town the stupid government just fought to get some folks to get rid of theirs. Which is sad!!!!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Between Nashville and Memphis is Natchez Trace SP about 11 miles from the interstate. The campground is on a lake for an enjoyable dip for the kids. If you go to the lake away from the beach, even Penny can have a swim.

From there, a good days run would be Sallisaw, OK where there is a nice KOA with a good pool. It has been about 12 years since I've stayed there, but the are still getting good reviews and looks about the same on Google Earth. There is a small airport nearby, but back then it was mainly used by small commuters so only busy for about an hour in the afternoon and never really bothersome. We traveled from just east of Nasheville to here in May 2005 and was stopped before 5 which gave the kids a good time to swim. Like you, the first day we wanted to push but not kill ourselves.

From there, we did make Amarillo despite having a flat west of Oklahom, but that was a long day.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)