cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northeast Family Campground Suggestions

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a few TT's in our camping circle and I've loved camping with my niece and nephews through the years. They were all very close in age and are now 12-16 so the past few years were what I would consider the golden years of family camping.

We've been to Normandy Farms, Lake George RV Park and Yogi Bear Lazy River in Gardner NY to name a few. We've loved each of these the various time we've visited. Lots of activities and fun for the kids and you really don't have to venture out of the campground if you don't want to.

With that said, we currently have a 3 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. We just returned from a week stay at Normandy Farms for our first big family camping trip. I knew going into the trip that the campground activities were limited for them so we planned some area outings during the week to keep them busy. One day we spent at Bass Pro, one day we went to a childrens museum, one day we went to the Newport Mansions and another day we visited a different childrens museum. We planned those outings around the few campground activities they could participate in and the entire week went really well.

We are currently looking into family campgrounds for the next few years. We live on Long Island and are looking at a max distance of about 4-5 hours from NYC in any direction. Water, electric and sewer are a must. There doesn't have to be tons of activities at the campground since our kids are still too young for most things, but we are interested in activities outside the campground. Those outside activities don't have to all be for the kids, but they do have to be things we can take the kids along with us. As I mentioned, we did tour the Newport Mansions with them so things like that are ok too.
5 REPLIES 5

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
There should be some PA State Parks/Forrestโ€™s within your traveling radius. Many have full hookup camping available.
Weโ€™ve been booking them during the week but in the western half of the state so I canโ€™t recommend any near you.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
One spot you might like is Point Lookout State Park in Scotland, MD. Great park! Another Maryland state park is Elk Neck State Park in North East MD. Both within your driving limits.

They look great but both say they are basically closed for 2024 due to renovations.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Just about any campground in the Lancaster Pa area would work, lots of things to see and do, not to mention eat!!!!
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
This thread should be moved to the RV Parks/Campgrounds section.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
One spot you might like is Point Lookout State Park in Scotland, MD. Great park! Another Maryland state park is Elk Neck State Park in North East MD. Both within your driving limits.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member