cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a safe place to stay in Tucumcari?

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
We don’t need an RV Park, just a place to pull off and sleep a few hours. Thanks!
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.
10 REPLIES 10

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
David and Deb wrote:
We don’t need an RV Park, just a place to pull off and sleep a few hours. Thanks!
Just pay a few bucks and be safe.
So big a world, so little time to see.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We've overnighted at the KOA there and there is so much open room I'd think you could overnight just about anywhere off the highway.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Wow - there is a town name out of the past haha... used to make runs from Wichita Falls to Phoenix using I40 or sometimes going more south using I20/I10 heading for Cruces... The stretch of I10 bordering Mexico always had a lot of foot traffic - never wanted to pull off at rest areas...

Always loved the mountains and views along I40 the best... We would always make it to Flagstaff somehow to spend the night... In the winters months the truckers on I40 would say "Ok Boys we're going ice skating now"

Roy Ken

I always thought when we retired I'd love to move to Tucumcari It had such a cool sounding name and you never heard of anything bad happening in New Mexico. Luck would have it,about 10 years ago, I drove through Tucumcari........ Thinking maybe not were I want to live.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Stay over night at the flying J there than five nights at ute lake sp in 2017 as we waited for a hurricane move through Texas.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
For future reference try clicky.
It's free. It shows rest stops, fuel stops, COE, campgrounds, Walmarts, Cabellas, Cracker Barrels,etc.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

caver
Nomad
Nomad
A few years ago I did an overnight at Ute Lake SP.

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your suggestion. They also had an an Arby’s, Chester’s Pizza and other food available on the premises. Showers were available for truckers but I didn’t ask if RVers could also use them. Great place!

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
We found a Loves just outside of Tucumcari and as my hubby gassed us up I went in and asked if we could stay for a few hours. They have a special place for RVs away from the big rigs. Quiet, lighted and as safe as any Walmart. I give it a thumbs up!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow - there is a town name out of the past haha... used to make runs from Wichita Falls to Phoenix using I40 or sometimes going more south using I20/I10 heading for Cruces... The stretch of I10 bordering Mexico always had a lot of foot traffic - never wanted to pull off at rest areas...

Always loved the mountains and views along I40 the best... We would always make it to Flagstaff somehow to spend the night... In the winters months the truckers on I40 would say "Ok Boys we're going ice skating now"

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
freecampsites.net can be useful for finding a place as well as allstays.com. You've probably found a place by now though.