cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

John Pennekamp State Park

Jpjlauer
Explorer
Explorer
I am wintering in Florida for the first time in 6 years. Been around State Park to State Park to Corp of Engineer Parks going on 8 weeks now. Just recently found an opening at John Pennekamp and booked it for the "grand finally" of our winter trip and extending our stay in Florida by two weeks because I've never been to the Key's so I "jumped" on the opening when it popped up not knowing what I was getting into.
However, I've mentioned this to several people who have not given me good impressions of this state park. Now I'm wondering if I should spend the time and money to keep the reservation.
I'm not into diving or snorkeling, just sun - warm weather - good restaurants - dog friendly beaches - and great views.
I will greatly appreciate any one who will share their experiences or knowledge of the area with me.
Jim Lauer
2006 BTCruiser
2007 CRV tow
19 REPLIES 19

Jpjlauer
Explorer
Explorer
Just spent one night at JD because we wanted to get to the Keys earlier than our reservation at CM allowed. So we decided to get the driving out of the way yesterday and get as close as we could. Found an open space for one night here at JD.
Don't like it at all.
I will be cancelling the remaining two reservations here mentioned above immediately.
Jim Lauer
2006 BTCruiser
2007 CRV tow

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
riven1950 wrote:
Have you ever been to CH? Small, poor beach, nothing to do. Spent a week there and was ready to leave. Nice sites and bathe house, other then that not much.

I would take John Pennekamp any day over CH. Of course Bahia Honda is the best!!

I think Curry Hammock is the best of the SP's in the keys. Yep, it's small, so it's not crazy with people all over... the sites are large enough for our 43 ft MH and toad. Kayaking is good in the area. Marathon is a bike ride away with plenty of bars and restaurants. KW is a bit of a drive, but not an issue. We will be there for 2 weeks next month-- usually are there every april when we can get a site. Spend time in Sept,Oct and Dec in KW also. But there, you pay big $$'s compared to the SP.
Pennekamp doesn't appeal to me.. too close to the mainland and all the people that go there lead to backup at the gate and the CG is noisy with all the people. To each his own
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Wardriver
Explorer
Explorer
Jpjlauer wrote:
Thank you all for your input.

I just "bagged" a 9 day oceanfront site in Curry Hammock starting next Sunday. Can't believe it!!

I will be cancelling the following reservations at John Pennekamp first thing in the morning, say 9:00 am, giving you all a chance to be ready to grab them if you want:

5 days @ site 46 beginning Saturday, March 22.
3 days @ site 44 beginning Thursday, March 27.
5 days @ site 46 beginning Sunday, March 30.

I have site 44
Mon Mar 31 2014 - Sat Apr 05 2014 (5 nights)
and am cancelling too. So if someone wants 8 days there. . .

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curry hammock doesn't have great swimming but it has a nice beach, lots of kiters to watch, kayaking that can be done, a bike path that goes all the way into town, nearby restaurants etc etc
We stayed about 10 days there and 2 weeks at pennekamp. They were both fine for exploring the areas they are in.

sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Curry Hammock is our favorite of the Keys SP's, mostly because of our dog - even though he is not permitted on the beaches of any of the parks, he can come sit with us on the grass at the public portion of the beach where we have an ocean view and can take a dip if the tide is high enough. It is right down the street from Coco Plum public beach, which permits dogs. It is also within easy striking distance of Marathon, with dog friendly Sombrero Beach, and lots of bars and restaurants with dog friendly outside dining, and supermarkets, home depot, etc. All the sites are decent, although very few have an ocean view due to the vegetation. Each side is dead level, drains well, and maintained beautifully. The bath house has the best showers we have seen in the Keys. Only shortcoming as we see it is there are no laundry facilities on site.

Bahia Honda waterfront sites have the best views, with Long Key a close second, but there is more road noise at these two parks. Pennecamp is pretty nice too, and has sewer, but as someone already said, it is pretty far up the keys from the areas we really like.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Jpjlauer
Explorer
Explorer
Prior post revision.
I will be cancelling the March 22 John Pennakamp reservation as planned because it conflicts with my new Curry Hammock reservation. But for now I will hold onto the other two reservations until my plans are firm.
Will try to post the changes before they occur.
Jim Lauer
2006 BTCruiser
2007 CRV tow

Jpjlauer
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to do??????

I can't believe it!

Any other opinions?
Jim Lauer
2006 BTCruiser
2007 CRV tow

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever been to CH? Small, poor beach, nothing to do. Spent a week there and was ready to leave. Nice sites and bathe house, other then that not much.

I would take John Pennekamp any day over CH. Of course Bahia Honda is the best!!

Jpjlauer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input.

I just "bagged" a 9 day oceanfront site in Curry Hammock starting next Sunday. Can't believe it!!

I will be cancelling the following reservations at John Pennekamp first thing in the morning, say 9:00 am, giving you all a chance to be ready to grab them if you want:

5 days @ site 46 beginning Saturday, March 22.
3 days @ site 44 beginning Thursday, March 27.
5 days @ site 46 beginning Sunday, March 30.
Jim Lauer
2006 BTCruiser
2007 CRV tow

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
It is not one I prefer but that is just my opinion. It is roughly 102 miles to get to key West and I am guessing maybe 40ish to get to Marathon.

Key Largo doesn't hold magic for me...better to book even a private campground for a few night$$$ and go lower in the keys.
Just my two cents worth.

Sharps45120
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from Sombrero, there is another small beach in Marathon called CocoPlum. It's very shallow pretty far out from shore and there were loads of people with their dogs playing in the surf. Great place for a picnic.
"As I stand on the beach~I slowly surrender~To the child in me~That can't say goodbye." ~ Jimmy Buffet

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
It is also close to Key Biscayne and Everglades National Park for day visits.
They also rent kayaks which is fun.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Nice facilities and good place to chill. Beaches are small but nice. Dogs must be on a leash like all SP and no specific dog beach I think. We just went in Jan for first time. Planning to return, but we were just chilling and not on a particular mission.

Don't have a dog but best doggie beach I have seen is Ft Desoto.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep your reservation if I were you. I like the friendly atmosphere there (and it is the only Keys state park campground with a laundromat, by the way). You can take their glass bottom boat trip out to the reef, and there's a nice water sports gift shop.

Our first time Keys camping, we based ourselves there and drove south for a couple of day trips. You could go down to Sombrero for a pet friendly beach on Marathon Key.

There are many restaurants, groceries, etc nearby Pennekamp since Key Largo is a well serviced community.

But if you cancel, post on the forum when you are going to pull the trigger, and somebody here will jump on it.