cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must Have Boondocking Items?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Let's have a little fun. What do you consider to be "must have" items when you go boondocking?

I'll start:

1. Two AGM 6v or Group 27 12v batteries
2. Solar power (100 watts)
3. Propane (2x5 gal tanks)
4. Seven gallon portable water tank
5. First Aid Kit
6. Water Purification Kit
7. Saw Zaw (for cutting firewood)
8. Firestarter
9. Camera
10. Altimeter App
11. Dump Station Location App
12. GPS/Maps
13. GPS locator
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
199 REPLIES 199

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
rustycopperballs wrote:
All of what u said and a good bottle of scocth!

That's not a survival item...
It's a reason to GO ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
All of what u said and a good bottle of scocth!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
This is on sale at Tractor Supply on Black Friday only.

www.tractorsupply.com
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Ray55
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I used to backpack/canoe camp. I still do but DW said no more. So for me it is .

TT with gas stove, gas/electric refrigerator, water heater, gas furnance/ AC. Bed and bathroom.

Generator 2 Hond eu2000 to power AC/microwave. Small enough for me to lift, quite but costly. Gasoline for planned length of stay. .

2 additional 12 volt batteries for TT ( 3 total)
3 12 volt fans, 12 volt trouble light.

combination battery jumper, air compresser,cell phone charger, emergency light in truck.

folding chairs, TT has a table that can be used outside.

Hand Ax, grill from old BBQ, box of rope, fire starters, bug candles.

First aid kit/ 12 gauge shot gun.

water filter, collapsable water carrier

Ruck sack- compass, area map, camera, binoculars, whistle, first aid kit, emergency rations, water bottle, bivy sack, walking stick, Hand held Ham radio.

weather radio (TT has a 12 volt one) Hand held in ruck .

If going for a long period- extra gas bottles, If no water source- water, extra fuel for gasoline generator/ diesel Truck.

The truck has extra 12 volt battery, Winch (can be on the front or back), high lift jack, tow straps, bottle Jack, scizzor jack, 306 rifle, ham radio, binoculars, 12 volt search light. first aid kit. trouble bag- spare cloths, rations, gloves, hat, water.
US Army Retired X 2 (Both wife and I)
2012 North Trail TT 30QOK
2005 Dodge deisel 2500 HD, shortbed, 6 speed manual, Equalizer Hitch, Warn Winch, highlift jack, Honda Gen Set, Winona Canoe

SoakedKarma
Explorer
Explorer
Most of what Y'all have said but my most prized requirement is Life Straw which fits in backpack and I don't have to lug water on long hikes where there are streams or lakes.. Plan on getting Life Straw Family one of these days..
1989 38' Elite by Elite Coach Corp.
Ford 460cid C6 w/Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive 2 speed-transmission
208" WB John Deere RV 1200 Chassis air bag tag axle.
21,000 GVW
1987 Honda cmx250c Rebel

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
rfryer wrote:
A 45 ACP, water, food, a camera, books, one charged battery, a full propane tank, maps and a compass. Oh, and the DW.:D

My previous post was abbreviated, itโ€™s the absolute minimum. But in a more serious vein, I do routinely carry more gear boondocking so I sort of consider them must haves. An axe for firewood, extra water in jerry cans and also sometimes gas if I think Iโ€™ll need it. I rarely camp without wandering further in the back country, either by vehicle or on foot so I carry a knapsack with a knife, a canteen, a small amount of survival and fire starting gear, a small flashlight, and some first aid supplies. If the weather might change I take a high lift jack that Iโ€™ve only had to use on winter hunting trips. I also take a few tools and spare parts for the TT. Other than bulbs and fuses for the TV I donโ€™t carry anything to work on it, the new computer driven vehicles are beyond my expertise. The tools and spare parts are probably argumentative whether theyโ€™re โ€œmust havesโ€, but they take so little space they go.

Solar is an attractive idea, but I almost always camp in the forest so itโ€™s not very useful. I donโ€™t care for generators and donโ€™t have one, but Iโ€™ve been reconsidering a small one just to recharge my battery. Or carrying an extra battery. But I can get almost a full week out of my battery and Iโ€™m restless enough I rarely stay in one spot longer than that.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Cabin battery dead / Propane empty.....I think this is it for this years boondocking. It was a fun year though :C

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
I am actually a recent convert to the ways of the Trailer and RV...
However I've been backpacking and 4x4 traveling the back roads long time.

I just thought I would add, that I always have a certain amount of "survival" gear in my truck, and leave it there because I am often up in the mountains somewhere probably pushing the limits of the vehicle, my gas supply or just my luck in general.

There's always a pocket knife and multi-tool floating around in the cab. there's a mini first-aid kit under the seat.

Whenever I hit the dirt roads I throw an old army surplus backpack I have in there that has zip locks with waterproof matches, panchos, emergency blankets, compass, knife, dehydrated food, T.P., random first aid items, and water bottles that have built-in filtration.

it's an extra bag, I never unpack, just for throwing in the back when you "hit the dirt".

If it's really wet/rain/snow area, I'll even leave some firewood in the back (it has canopy).

As a side note, ALL of our backpacks, and day-packs, (adults and kids) ALWAYS have a small kit of survival essentials;
water proof matches, pancho, em. blanket, first aid, water filter bottle, and a mini fishing kit. All of that fits in a surprisingly small space and weight. (<3lbs ???)

So even if we just grab a day-pack for a hike, we know it always has that in there. just in case.
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I may be buying these soon. Great reviews and and puts out up to 20 hours of decent lighting on just 3 AA batteries (I have rechargables)

Click here - Coleman LED Camp Lantern String Lights

w6pea
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ham Radio, I also have a Grundig G-5, and Etรณn ARCFR800 American Red Cross Weather Tracker - NOAA and S.A.M.E. Weather Radio Plus Alert by Grundig. Also Several solar Flashlights lot's of battery's and 3 100w solar panels.

Also a GPS and of course lot's of Coffee and Old Bushmills Irish Whiskey.
Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
To save on water, I usually bring baby wipes to wash my hands, the counter etc.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer

24 of these batteries for my Satellite radio boombox (3 sets)

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
tjy355 wrote:
Must haves would be water and food (including coffee). A shovel and some TP.

A battery is nice but not a must have. Less so a generator.

I see your point about food and water. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I wouldn't include coffee as a must have.

For me it is! :B
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
tjy355 wrote:

I see your point about food and water. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I wouldn't include coffee as a must have.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer

The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D