cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NE Ohio to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering taking a trip to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge TN area during the last week in August with the motorhome and would like some advice on campgrounds and routes to help us plan our trip. We would like to possibly leave the car at home this time and look for a campground that offers a shuttle or trolley service to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I see the Up the Creek campground does have a trolley service. We could also rent a car for a few days to see the Great Smoky Mountains. I would appreciate advice on places that others have stayed. Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your trolley question you want to stay at Rivers Edge in Pigeon Forge. The trolley has a stop in the campground that will take you thru the entire Pigeon Forge system or to the transfer station to get on the Gatlinburg trolley system that will take you all over Gatlinburg. It also has one of the best bath houses I have ever been in.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think anyone has said Maggie Valley yet, it is a nice break from the throngs of people with just enough town to have some good eating and you are on the south east side of the park, a side less visited, we just spent 6 days at Cataloochee CG (no hook ups and very narrow windy gravel road).

we usually stay in the park or mile high CG, we go for the hiking and cool weather and not the people, and noise.

out of the 31 times we have been in the smokies we still like it other than PF and GB, we will hit the chocolate factory in GB to get our treats, and a couple outdoor stores looking for something er other and then head into the park never to see town again, If I had to pick a favorite NP CG it would be smokemont I guess, as it is close to the BRP and we always explore the south 60 miles or so each time we go down.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Notwithstanding the nice RV parks, my wife and I went there a few years ago and we will never go back. Pigeon Forge, Gattlinburg, Severville and surrounding areas are tourist traps and little more.

I'd rather go to Shipshewanna and get fleeced by the Amish than go down there and get fleeced by gentiles.... not for us.

That's why you should have done your research prior to going there. Bryson City on the North Carolina side or anywhere near Lake Fontana is much better and much cooler in my opinion. We did the Tennessee side for years and got disgusted with the traffic and people. Oh we still go over to visit but we go out of season. We like the mountains and scenery in the park itself. Pigeon Forge has turned into a Panama City Beach look a like! What a shame. If I had to go and stay on the Tennessee side it would be Townsend, Tremont Hills.

HighCountryGA
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that you are wanting to be in an area that has a trolley. That will be tons of fun for seeing all of the commercial sites. On the days you are planning to rent a car, you may consider Greenbrier Campground. http://greenbrier.wpengine.com/campground/rv-camping/
It is positioned beside the Little Pigeon River and across from wonderful hiking trails. At this campground, you will experience the true beauty of the NP but have the hookups that are so convenient.

I hope you have a wonderful time in TN. On your way back home, you may consider stopping by Fall Creek Falls to see the waterfalls. It is worth the effort!

bodyshop_bob
Explorer
Explorer
Up the Creek is an excellent CG. After trying most of the CG's in the area that is the one we like the best. Trolley runs about every 30 minutes or so.
Ask to get a site on Walden creek (sites 26-31) as they offer great shade and are close to the creek - in late August it will be really hot, humid & muggy during the day.
In the Park visit Elkmont area and walk the trail along the old home sites; or drive up to New Found Gap on 441. Both are much cooler due to the elevation.
G'burg & PF are a bit touristy but have some decent spots. Plan a late dinner in G'burg and eat on the roof at Loco Burro. Great view of downtown and at night its pretty nice.
We are counting down the days until we go back in October.
Bob & Carla
Josh & Emily
mostly Lab mix Eryn
Chase is waiting for us at the Bridge
2007 Chevrolet 2500 D/A
2015 Jayco 339 FLQS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Notwithstanding the nice RV parks, my wife and I went there a few years ago and we will never go back. Pigeon Forge, Gattlinburg, Severville and surrounding areas are tourist traps and little more.

I'd rather go to Shipshewanna and get fleeced by the Amish than go down there and get fleeced by gentiles.... not for us.

A lot of places are tourist traps, doesn't mean it's not worth a visit. A lot of people like the Ripley's, Titanic's ,etc., everybody's interest is different.

We went a couple years ago and rented a cabin. Can't wait to go back, we spend more time in the park than in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Park is beautiful and definitely worth the trip. While researching parks, a few look really good and all are on the trolley line. Pine Mountain in Pigeon Forge, its kind of in the center. Foothills is in Pigeon Forge but on the far south end of town nearer Gatlinburg. Twin Creek is in Gatlinburg and closest to the Park. All rate very good and are very clean parks. We also would love to stay at Anchor Down but it's just to far away from the park for us.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
What we like to do may not be what you like to do, but...

Most if not all of the CG's in the PF city limits have a shuttle service pick up, so you can see both PF and GB without a car, If you are not going to be sitting at the camperground I would have no problem with the KOA in PF and you are very close to the main terminal for shuttle service at patriot park, then for at least 2 days I would rent a jeep from one of the many places and drive it in the park to explore.

For us, if we are staying in town it would be Foot Hills RV park & cabins, just because it is on the edge of town and the owners are friends of ours.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

LittleRedGoat
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Anchors Down. If we are wanting to stay closer in River Plantation is a nice park but I don't know if they have a trolley stop close by
2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW, 4wd
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7l, swb, 4wd(old)
2013 V-Cross 295VRK

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on anchor down. BUT you need a car to get around as it is 10 or so miles outside of town. Otherwise look on rvparkreviews for ideas. That said, the KOA is nice and close as is Bear Cove Resort. The trolley is great to get around with but patience is needed along with being ok with a lot of walking.

mickey48
Explorer
Explorer
Anchor Down on rt 40

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
GSMNP is the most visited national park in US. I am sure it will not miss one or two visitors. To each his own but we go for the park not the T shirt vendors in PF and Gatlinburg. Pine Mtn is a fine RV park. Suggest you go to rvparkreviews.com for additional excellent RV parks.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
JL7456 wrote:
We are considering taking a trip to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge TN area during the last week in August with the motorhome and would like some advice on campgrounds and routes to help us plan our trip. We would like to possibly leave the car at home this time and look for a campground that offers a shuttle or trolley service to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I see the Up the Creek campground does have a trolley service. We could also rent a car for a few days to see the Great Smoky Mountains. I would appreciate advice on places that others have stayed. Thanks!

Stayed at Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge for 8 nights this spring - very nice full hookups pool etc. Trolley stop was right there
Quiet well run family park
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks