cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Suggestions between Abilene & Van Horn TX

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from Abilene TX to Phoenix. First day of travel from Abilene TX to around Van Horn or McNary TX. Any suggestions as where to stay the first nights travel?
Thank you in advance for all suggestions.
7 REPLIES 7

sdca2va
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled through there a year or so ago. Stayed at Van Horn KOA. Was fine for an overnight.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
It is not very close to Van Horn but I don't think MONAHANS SANDHILLS SP will be full because of the two weeks limit that most state parks have.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
if your traveling from Abilene, Texas to Van Horn, Texas. Your not going to find any park that isn't filled up with oil field workers in between.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at top of the hill rv park in stockton, nice park. Used to stay at stockton rv park east of town, but last I tried it the voltage with no load was about 104v. I left and went to the one above.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We liked Balmorhea State Park. I-10 exit 209. 6.8 miles from I-10 but worth it. Beautiful.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

bigdaddogg1
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped in Van Horn last month on my way home from out West. Stayed at the Desert Willow RV Park. It's a Passport America park on the main road through town. Easy off and on to I-10. Nothing special at the RV Park, basically just someplace to stop for the night. One long line of gravel sites, all pull through. I only hooked up my electric, and it was reliable, clean power. PA price was $13, regular price was $25. Quiet...not much traffic through town and I-10 is far enough away so you can't hear it.
"The only bad thing about being retired is you never get a day off"

2006 Sunnybrook 28RKFS 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Diesel 6 speed auto

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Made a similar trip many times, I stayed at the Walmart in Ft. Stockton. There is also a decent campground there.

The El Capitan hotel in Van Horn has an outstanding restaurant, but be careful where you part your RV. I have heard they are not an RV-friendly town.

Be warned - that can be a lonely drive. Keep you tank full. I have driven 45 minutes without seeing another vehicle in the early morning.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor