cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon Veterans Discount?

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oregon has long given a discount to Disabled Vets ... ten days free per month.

SO, we are in Oregon - asked about the discount. Turns out you have to apply by mail before hand. Altho it's apparently a life-time pass/card, if you don't have it already, you have to pay in advance, and then apply, and Oregon will (maybe?) reimburse you after the offices approve the application.

Several years ago, I used this discount for about five or six days camping in several different campgrounds. No card necessary, just proof of DAV status. I'm still in the computer as a DAV from the last time, but obviously, have no card. So, was denied the discount and now will apply again. Seems like a change in policy since my last trip.

Anyway, for those planning a trip here - get the application before hand and give it plenty of time to get the card in the mail.

I believe Washington has the same discount and same situation - so, check that in advance as well. Matter of fact, several states have vets discounts, so wherever you travel, good idea to check the state site individually and look for vets discounts and the procedure. Texas is the same way, but it's discount on the day-use fee, but will do the card onsite at any CG. Some state (S Dakota for example) require state residency for vets state park discounts.

In addition, some states allow seniors (62+) discounts as well, so another good reason to check site on any state where you plan to camp.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
7 REPLIES 7

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
A veteran is not enough in Oregon, you need to be a disabled veteran and have a letter from the VA confirming it. Even having the DAV card from the VA health care system is not enough - you must have the letter in Oregon.

Anyone that is a disabled veteran gets a letter from the VA every year confirming your status. That's the letter you need for most disabled veteran discounts in any state that offers it.

One thing different in Oregon, and is unusual as it's the only state that I know of that requires the veteran to submit the letter and get the card in the mail. All other states that I know of, you can carry your paperwork in, and that does it. Some states give you a card, some don't - but most will give you the card or the discount across the counter if you have your letter.

Texas for example will give you a card that waives the 'day-use fee', but not the camping fee. And Texas gives you a lifetime card same day you show the letter. Each state has different rules, so it pays to research it BEFORE you go and camp if it's not your home state.

Every little bit helps nowadays, as some states are raising fees and now charging day-use fees even if you camp. And some discount the day-use but not the camp fee, and some discount the day-use and the camping - all different scenarios across the USA.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks 44...good to hear.

So just a copy of my DD214 is not enough and I need a VA card?
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spoke with a supervisor today and asked, as the park attendant would not honor my letter or VA card as 'proof'.

But, the supervisor said just turn in my application with copy of my DAV letter and send receipts - Oregon will honor the appliation and refund the camping fees for up to ten days.

You're right, it's five days in one park, ten days total per month.

I did this several years ago, but did not need a 'card' then ... rules have changed and we now need the card. Good for five years, and then renewed via mail.

My letter will go out in a few days, but will accompany that with a "thanks Oregon" from all us vets.

Some states do discounts, but many are state residents only. Interesting, because I'd bet at least as many if not more campers are travelers not residents. And travelers spend more money than residents into the local economy as we travel. So, it would be a good thing for vets discounts for all travelers, not just residents, as it would encourage longer stays, thus more funds to local businesses. Seems to me, anyway.

But we definitely salute Oregon for the camping discount ... and Washington and any other state that recognizes our military service.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I first found out about the discount years ago from the camp host at Nehalem SP. When I said I would apply once I got home, she said to just tell the camp hosts, most would just honor the discount providing you had your VA card handy. I don't think the process has changed, just the enforcement of the rules may be more of a priority than in past years. Oregon has renewed my placard with a simple return notice. Oregon should be commended.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon requires only 30% service related disability and you don't have to be an Oregon resident. Placards were good for 10 yrs but the one I have now is good for 5 yrs. No cost for 10 days annual camping in the State Parks (5 day limit in one campground). Theyhave some great campgounds but best to make reservations early. Great program - wish more states would use their system.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a vet but not disabled. But that sounds like something that all states should pursue for their disabled vets. I'm going to check with my local DAV to see if Ohio offers a deal, and report back here. Maybe others could do the same.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Monkey...

We just did a WA/OR trip this summer.

My hub's a disabled veteran. Oregon State Parks gives you 100% as you stated. Yep.. you have to apply for the perk (providing a copy of your disability rating letter), but they were fairly speedy about getting us the pass sent out. Also, you can't exceed 5 nights in a row if I recall, but you can move and come back.

Here's the scoop on the WA state parks-

Disabled Veteran Lifetime Pass - No Charge
Free camping/moorage, campsite reservations through State Parks central reservations system, watercraft launching, trailer dump. Valid year-round. Offered to Washington state residents with a documented service-connected disability of at least 30 percent. Proof of identification will be required at check-in.

Here's a link to the PDF application ...

WA State Veteran Pass Application

Disability Pass - No Charge
Good for 50 percent discount on nightly camping/moorage. Free watercraft launching and trailer dump. Valid all year round. Available for one-year (short-term disability) or five-year (permanent disability) periods. Offered to Washington state residents who are legally blind, profoundly deaf, developmentally disabled or who meet the disability definition used by the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Note: A Permanent Disability Parking Permit, issued by the Washington State Department of Licensing, also entitles you to the 50 percent disability discount on camping and moorage and waives the trailer dump and boat launch fee. Simply show your placard, license plate or issued wallet card along with matching I.D. directly to the park ranger.

It sure helps financially...
~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)