cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our Next Trip: Wyoming Roaming

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like to do themed trips and this one we're calling Wyoming Roaming.

We'll cruise through Wyoming and finally get to spend some time at the Longmire Days and the Petrified Forest in Buffalo.

Still deciding our final itinerary but will definitely go to Cody to see the natural history museum. We'll stop in at the homesteaders' museum in Powell and swing by the Carmelite Monks to see if we can load up on Herself's favorite teas. They have great coffee too.

Wyoming's a big state but we'll see about allowing a week for some unplanned roaming too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
27 REPLIES 27

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
The area around Pinedale is gorgeous. I donโ€™t know your RV is but we and our truck camper drove up to see where the Green River originates at Green River Lakes. It is a long drive on a bumpy road but worth it.

We have a September trip planned for Western Wyoming. I think we will check out Red Desert, Shell Falls and dinosaur tracks in that area plus other places i cant remember now.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll join the chorus on Snowy Range, well worth seeing.

Iโ€™ve overnighted in the Big Horn mountains up north, want to spend more time there as well.
Visted via RV

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of campgrounds in Lander, but Sleeping Bear is the nicest one, not very large, but situated on top of a hill overlooking Lander and the Wind River mountains to the west. It's full service campground and the number is 307-332-5159 if you decide to stay around Lander.
John A. Lichty

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We also plan on spending some time Wandering Wyoming this year and this has been very helpful.

I'll keep coming back for a few days and see if there is anything more.

Yes, I hope the suggestions continue. They've been very helpful in planning our itinerary.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guernsey State Park is deceptively large. There's a road that goes around the east side of the lake (biggest campgrounds are on the west side). It dead ends (plenty of area to turn around) and the road is narrow in spots. There's parts of the lake that you can't get to by vehicle; but if you're bringing a boat there's lots of access points, and you'll be able to explore even more.

Just up the road, not too far north of Guernsey SP is Glendo SP. It's considerably larger than Guernsey. I've been by it several times, but have not stayed there. On my "to do" list for this year. If it's similar to Guernsey, then it's going to be a wonderful destination.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We also plan on spending some time Wandering Wyoming this year and this has been very helpful.

I'll keep coming back for a few days and see if there is anything more.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Ramp Digger wrote:
lenr wrote:
Guernsey, WY has register cliff where thousands of pioneers carved their names or initial still visible, and wagon wheel ruts in the sandstone from thousands of wagons. Very unique.
I have heard there is a really nice State Park near there with good camping on a lake, we plan to check it out on our next trip. Called GUERNSEY STATE PARK.

It is nice! And pretty much never full (well, except during the eclipse) and easy big rig access for some sites. There's electric at some sites too. If you're more adventurous, you can go to neighboring Grey Rock reservoir and park right on the water front and boondock there... I THINK it's free. We've only spent the day there so I'm not positive on that part.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
If you need free dump stations, there's one at the visitor's center right at the WY/CO border south of Cheyenne off I-25, and there's also one ran by the town of Rock Springs a bit off I-80. I'm sure there's others, but we've used both of those ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that, really love our little town and it does have some interesting stuff around it.
John A. Lichty

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
jalichty wrote:
Might also consider the area around Lander, near the Windriver Mountains. Sinks Canyon, about 6 miles out of town is a beautiful place with the Sinks, where the river disappears into a cavern and then reappears about 1/4 mile downstream into a pond that has many large fish in it that you can feed, just not fish for them. Then up the switchbacks over the loop road to South Pass and over to Atlantic City, Wyoming not New Jersey, and South Pass City, which was once considered for the Capital of the State. Then you can go out to the Red Desert, the largest un-fenced area in the country along with wonderful vistas and wild horses galore. Then full circle to the Sweetwater. While in the Red Desert you can see the remnants of the Morman, Pony Express, Oregon and other trails that brought thousands of folks from the east out west. Then, once back in Lander, you can take the highway north to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks and drop down to Cody for more wonderful sightseeing. Hope you have a great trip.

Great plan: we've included it in our itinerary :C

Magnus

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ramp Digger wrote:
lenr wrote:
Guernsey, WY has register cliff where thousands of pioneers carved their names or initial still visible, and wagon wheel ruts in the sandstone from thousands of wagons. Very unique.
I have heard there is a really nice State Park near there with good camping on a lake, we plan to check it out on our next trip. Called GUERNSEY STATE PARK.

X2. Guernsey State Park is a wonderful place to stay. There are a dozen or so campgrounds around the lake, though the bigger ones will be on the west side of the lake. Others are only like 3-6 sites. Still, it's a great place. Was there last summer, it's surprisingly hilly there, thought it would be flatter than it actually is. There's sites available with W/E, and a dump station at the entrance. At the big CGs the best sites are indeed along the lake in the trees, for shade. These are no hookups. The W/E sites are further in from the lake and are in the open; it will be warm/hot during the summer, but does cool down nicely in the evening.

Register Cliffs is very impressive, all the names and dates from generations of visitors there. On the south end of the town of Gurensey. Also worth a visit is Fort Laramie Historical Park. Very well preserved and also worth spending several hours there.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Might also consider the area around Lander, near the Windriver Mountains. Sinks Canyon, about 6 miles out of town is a beautiful place with the Sinks, where the river disappears into a cavern and then reappears about 1/4 mile downstream into a pond that has many large fish in it that you can feed, just not fish for them. Then up the switchbacks over the loop road to South Pass and over to Atlantic City, Wyoming not New Jersey, and South Pass City, which was once considered for the Capital of the State. Then you can go out to the Red Desert, the largest un-fenced area in the country along with wonderful vistas and wild horses galore. Then full circle to the Sweetwater. While in the Red Desert you can see the remnants of the Morman, Pony Express, Oregon and other trails that brought thousands of folks from the east out west. Then, once back in Lander, you can take the highway north to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks and drop down to Cody for more wonderful sightseeing. Hope you have a great trip.
John A. Lichty

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Devils Tower in NE WY

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wyoming Roaming...love that!! Have a blast!!