cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PA Boondocking??

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done overnight tent camping along hiking trails, and I have used our travel trailer in campgrounds, but I have never "Boondocked" in the travel trailer. I love the thought of finding open land and just spending the weekend or more. But where? PA has plenty of land but I feel most is posted, owned by mining companies, or would otherwise not be allowed. Anyone have suggestions or locations in PA or surrounding states? Or, any types of lands I could look at? Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
PAThwacker wrote:
PA Boondocking on state forest is called motorized camping with permit max 30 nights per year at established sites. Sites have fire ring and picnic table same rules at parks with carry in carry rules. Some may be near PA DCNR wells for water fresh.

Allegheny National Forest. 14 day Max per stay camp anywhere.
I use a popup camper for boondocking, open up entire screen area. I donโ€™t have to worry about any overhead obstacles and get the 20 foot highwall pup on almost all sites.

Thanks again. We just got back from the weekend of camping at an RV park. Friday morning we ventured out to scout some of the sites in your area in the state forrest. 3 of the 6 sites are huge and I don think I'd have any problem putting a35' trailer on. The others we visited in that area as well as over closer to Pecks Pond area would be more of a challenge, and some are definite no. Overall beautiful area and we are going to see if we can get one of the sites in a few weeks. Thanks for the info!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
PA Boondocking on state forest is called motorized camping with permit max 30 nights per year at established sites. Sites have fire ring and picnic table same rules at parks with carry in carry rules. Some may be near PA DCNR wells for water fresh.

Allegheny National Forest. 14 day Max per stay camp anywhere.
I use a popup camper for boondocking, open up entire screen area. I donโ€™t have to worry about any overhead obstacles and get the 20 foot highwall pup on almost all sites.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Sure, brkhrn.

Allegheny National Forest Supervisor: Jamie Davidson, 4 Farm Colony Drive, Warren, PA 16365
I new I had seen Rv's set up in different spots up there when we were 4 wheeling, but that was quite a few years ago.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great info guys. Passed some of these camp areas hundreds of times and never knew they existed. Definitely going to give it a try this fall! my 12 yr twin girls may not love no hookups, but they will get over it ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for the info!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, brkhrn.

Allegheny National Forest Supervisor: Jamie Davidson, 4 Farm Colony Drive, Warren, PA 16365
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
There are apps such as Freeroam and Boondocking

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google PA State Forest camping. They have some primitive sites that are first come first served but you do need to get a permit from them.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Land for sale

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Go on craigslist. Look up for sale by OWNER.
Contact and ask if you can camp and how much.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allegheny National Forest ??
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Try the Allegheny National Forest. See...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/allegheny/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=6083&actid=34
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad