cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quartzite is empty

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Just ran over to Quartzite for what was suppose to be a couple of days and were back in 24hrs. Hardley any sellers yet and just plain old deserted. Was told that the BIG SHOW was going to be shorter this year and that sellers is way down. Of course I picked up a couple of things at the tool place.In half a day we did everywhere, that's how slow it is. I know Dec is when it builds, but it's empty now.Glad I had a friend camping there to go visit.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
58 REPLIES 58

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
rocmoc wrote:
... and the off roading isn't restricted with the Green Sticker Program as it is in the Cali desert

So then, how does AZ pay for managing it's public lands open to use by the ATV folks? (AZ must have some way of coming up with the necessary money similar to CA's Green Sticker Program.)

The Green Sticker Program in CA restricts what kind of toy (2 stroke / 4 stroke & etc), where you can ride thu out the year, no legal riding on the paved roads/streets & sticker cost is 2+ times the AZ cost. The AZ off road sticker, which started about 3 years ago, just collects my $ supposedly to help support off roading. You can ride any type of toy any where as long as the area is open for play (a few areas around PHX closed because of dust) & the rules of the area. Must stay on existing roads & trails. Very few areas allow new trail blazing / open riding. Tho in 10 years of riding where I live in So. AZ I have never seen any type of LEO where I ride. AND you can ride legal on the streets. I leave from the house & ride the streets to my riding location. No trailer or pickup required, it's GREAT! You can do the same at most if not all camping sites in Quartzsite. Enjoyed myself when I was there. Took my UTV on that trip and explored mines.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that the Feds are managing most of if not all of the public land.
Puma 30RKSS

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
You still need the OHV tag on your plate.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
rocmoc wrote:
... and the off roading isn't restricted with the Green Sticker Program as it is in the Cali desert

So then, how does AZ pay for managing it's public lands open to use by the ATV folks? (AZ must have some way of coming up with the necessary money similar to CA's Green Sticker Program.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
rocmoc wrote:
Current sales tax rate in Quartzsite is 10.1%. http://www.sale-tax.com/QuartzsiteAZ If you are being charged 11-12% the vendor is cheating you, not the city.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

It was 11.225% in Williams, AZ and I think 10.5 or 11% in Page, AZ last week, and 7.85% in Moab UT. Little too much redistribution for my liking going on in AZ. It was 10.6% last year in Quartzsite.

I don't see the value added shopping for anything in AZ, except maybe golf cart batteries, that are tax free.

7.5% where I live in Ventura Co, CA.

BUT let's compare energy cost & fuel tax! OR Insurance cost (on everything) & vehicle registration cost! AND State Income tax & special district fees. Can go on & on with the reasons I MOVED out of CA a decade ago! Arizona sounds pretty good to me when compared to Ventura Co, CA. RENT is nearly Free to stay in Quartzsite and the off roading isn't restricted with the Green Sticker Program as it is in the Cali desert.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
rocmoc wrote:
Current sales tax rate in Quartzsite is 10.1%. http://www.sale-tax.com/QuartzsiteAZ If you are being charged 11-12% the vendor is cheating you, not the city.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

It was 11.225% in Williams, AZ and I think 10.5 or 11% in Page, AZ last week, and 7.85% in Moab UT. Little too much redistribution for my liking going on in AZ. It was 10.6% last year in Quartzsite.

I don't see the value added shopping for anything in AZ, except maybe golf cart batteries, that are tax free.

7.5% where I live in Ventura Co, CA.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
hugemoth wrote:
Drove from Quartzsite this morning and Yuma is just as empty.

What is your take on the loss of visitors /business? I know, speaking for myself, I find the sales tax on a lot of items in AZ at 11 to 12% prohibitive... makes me not want to spend any of my discretionary income there around PHX, or as in last week, Kingman, Williams or Page. I believe the lodging place I stayed in Kingman nabbed my CC #, so that CC got cancelled. They charged a $700 unlocked samsung S4 smart phone to it, from China.

buckwilklaura
Explorer
Explorer
Attendance here in Q has been dropping. The city has raised rates on the vendors and just raised sewer rates to the RV parks 400%. The park I'm currently in will be full in Jan. I'm sure many of the others won't be. I also think that people, over the years have found other places to spend their winters. The internet has been a big part of that. Q is also not a particularly inexpensive place. As others have posted Dec. and Jan. are pretty cold, mostly due to the wind.
Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
Drove from Quartzsite this morning and Yuma is just as empty.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:
To wbwood
Yes we have been coming to Q for many years and have been blogging on life as we find it here.
Our personal blog is Fulltime.HitchItch.com If you go to the blog site and want to read our posts on Q over the years... Go to the past years winter links postings. It may take time but you will see what this place Q is about and how it has changed.

Lovely Blawg. The flyfishing in Montana this summer was the icing on the cake... Folks like you plant appleseeds for guys like me. Have Fly rod and diesel SUV with trailer, will travel.

BECKS
Explorer
Explorer
And for those who follow Q city council politics they have stirred the pot again this year and raised the sewer rates for the CG's through the roof. Should be interesting how this plays out.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there, I've heard a bunch say they were going in January....

Jerry_Campbell
Explorer
Explorer
Went by Plomosa Rd yesterday and there were only 4 rigs there.
The day before we saw 4 fat coyotes in LaPosa South.
I like it this way. Not good for business though.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Been going off and on starting in 1977, it is about over. Just a very small number come now, most are just cheap and won't spend any real money for a nice place for winter. It used to be a lot of fun, but they are running out of snakes and even a coyote don't hardly stop there.
So big a world, so little time to see.