cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park & Winter Park-Trail Ridge Rd &Camp Sug.

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of questions in one thread...

1. Suggestions for campgrounds around Estes Park and Winter Park...looking for a State Park feel with hook-ups (not side by side with no trees).

2. Trail Ridge Road with a trailer....crazy, huh?!

THanks guys!
16 REPLIES 16

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thom always does a good job.

This always reminds me of the same kinda discussion for South Rim and North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

JUST SAYING THAT AS A COMMENT AND NOT TO OPEN A DISCUSSION!

We don't go back there at all anymore as having lived in that tourist town for 8 years we don't need to.

Most all of the activities / programs for RMNP are on the east / Estes side and that is 1 1/4 hours from Grand Lake - w/o traffic.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Rocky certainly does have 2 very different and distinct personalities. And there's beauty to be seen on both sides.

I know where Lauren's coming from, regarding the west side. The beetle kill on that side is extensive, and there are places where the scenery has more dead trees than alive. It's sad how decimated some areas have become. I remember Timber Creek CG before they cut down all the trees and left it wide open. It was in a lovely forest of trees, providing shade and aesthetic beauty. Now, no shade at all, and tree stumps everywhere. And the drive between Milner Pass the valley on the west side, is mainly in the trees, with limited places to pull off and enjoy what scenery is available. West side also have more rock slide areas to view, which are not particularly photogenic.

And then there's the pictures that Bill posted of the west side beauty around Grand Lake. Grand Lake, Lake Granby, and Shadow Mountain Reservoir with the mountains reflected in their waters have a very special beauty not found many places in semi-arid Colorado.

Estes Park vs Grand Lake. Again, 2 very different towns and points of view on the tourist season, and indeed year round.

Estes is set in a valley (park) that provides photo ops galore. Those majestic mountains rising dramatically above the town are not soon forgotten as you enter Estes Park from the Big Thompson Canyon on US 34. There's more shopping, more people, more of the things nowadays that folks want to try to escape. But that drive up Trail Ridge Rd from Estes Park is one of the most dramatic drives anywhere, and spectacular when one gets above timberline. And I'd venture a guess that a goodly number of folks who go in to Rocky from the east side, don't go further west than the Alpine Visitor's Center; they turn around and go back to Estes. And in the winter, Estes Park changes dramatically; though it's still a year round town, the visitor numbers aren't what they are in the summer. But then, you can't get far up on Trail Ridge either. Winter can still be a good time to visit Estes Park.

Grand Lake, on the other hand, has far less numbers of tourists. Oh sure, it's still a tourist town, but I think it caters to the folks who are looking for a slower pace, a part of Colorado that's missing in Estes Park. Walking the boardwalk on the main street in Grand Lake, is sort of like stepping back in time a bit. Yup, there's shopping and restaurants, but not nearly as numerous as on the east side.

I think folks who stay on the west side are more likely to go up into the park and go further than the Alpine Visitor's Center. They want to also experience what it's like above timberline and the majestic views. They may go east to Rainbow Curve, or even into Estes Park, and then return west.

And in the winter, even though some shops close up for the season, Grand Lake has another season that Estes Park doesn't have -- snowmobile season! Some great package deals to be had for lodging and snow machine rentals, we've done that several times over the years.

Estes Park has one big lake; Grand Lake has 3.

Hiking trails are on both sides. Most tourists are going to do the short hikes on the east side, even though there are longer ones as well. On the west side, there's some short hikes too, but also a goodly number of longer ones.

So there's much to be said for both sides of Rocky. Is one better than the other? Subjective, I know. During the Summer, we always go over to the west side and have lunch in Grand Lake, walk around town, and enjoy the views over there. Can't do that in the winter (unless one really makes the effort and drives several hours to get there). I love both sides of Rocky, for different reasons. For me, it's sort of like picking a favourite child (or grandchild) -- just can't (and won't) do it.

Now that's an answer we can all understand and appreciate - Great summation, Thom.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocky certainly does have 2 very different and distinct personalities. And there's beauty to be seen on both sides.

I know where Lauren's coming from, regarding the west side. The beetle kill on that side is extensive, and there are places where the scenery has more dead trees than alive. It's sad how decimated some areas have become. I remember Timber Creek CG before they cut down all the trees and left it wide open. It was in a lovely forest of trees, providing shade and aesthetic beauty. Now, no shade at all, and tree stumps everywhere. And the drive between Milner Pass the valley on the west side, is mainly in the trees, with limited places to pull off and enjoy what scenery is available. West side also have more rock slide areas to view, which are not particularly photogenic.

And then there's the pictures that Bill posted of the west side beauty around Grand Lake. Grand Lake, Lake Granby, and Shadow Mountain Reservoir with the mountains reflected in their waters have a very special beauty not found many places in semi-arid Colorado.

Estes Park vs Grand Lake. Again, 2 very different towns and points of view on the tourist season, and indeed year round.

Estes is set in a valley (park) that provides photo ops galore. Those majestic mountains rising dramatically above the town are not soon forgotten as you enter Estes Park from the Big Thompson Canyon on US 34. There's more shopping, more people, more of the things nowadays that folks want to try to escape. But that drive up Trail Ridge Rd from Estes Park is one of the most dramatic drives anywhere, and spectacular when one gets above timberline. And I'd venture a guess that a goodly number of folks who go in to Rocky from the east side, don't go further west than the Alpine Visitor's Center; they turn around and go back to Estes. And in the winter, Estes Park changes dramatically; though it's still a year round town, the visitor numbers aren't what they are in the summer. But then, you can't get far up on Trail Ridge either. Winter can still be a good time to visit Estes Park.

Grand Lake, on the other hand, has far less numbers of tourists. Oh sure, it's still a tourist town, but I think it caters to the folks who are looking for a slower pace, a part of Colorado that's missing in Estes Park. Walking the boardwalk on the main street in Grand Lake, is sort of like stepping back in time a bit. Yup, there's shopping and restaurants, but not nearly as numerous as on the east side.

I think folks who stay on the west side are more likely to go up into the park and go further than the Alpine Visitor's Center. They want to also experience what it's like above timberline and the majestic views. They may go east to Rainbow Curve, or even into Estes Park, and then return west.

And in the winter, even though some shops close up for the season, Grand Lake has another season that Estes Park doesn't have -- snowmobile season! Some great package deals to be had for lodging and snow machine rentals, we've done that several times over the years.

Estes Park has one big lake; Grand Lake has 3.

Hiking trails are on both sides. Most tourists are going to do the short hikes on the east side, even though there are longer ones as well. On the west side, there's some short hikes too, but also a goodly number of longer ones.

So there's much to be said for both sides of Rocky. Is one better than the other? Subjective, I know. During the Summer, we always go over to the west side and have lunch in Grand Lake, walk around town, and enjoy the views over there. Can't do that in the winter (unless one really makes the effort and drives several hours to get there). I love both sides of Rocky, for different reasons. For me, it's sort of like picking a favourite child (or grandchild) -- just can't (and won't) do it.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jkmac408 wrote:
I have to disagree with Lauren on the west side of Rocky. It is way less crowded than the east side, has great hiking trails, more diverse wildlife and the fishing in the Colorado river in the park is very good. We love Grand Lake. There are not as many shops as Estes but also not wall to wall people. ....

With Images like this how do you stay away?

We also prefer the West side and while we still visit both every year - the area around Grand Lake is pretty nice, and the sort of place we will go out of our way to visit.

Sometimes the crowds can be tolerated but most of the time, just get me away!

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jkmac408
Explorer
Explorer
I have to disagree with Lauren on the west side of Rocky. It is way less crowded than the east side, has great hiking trails, more diverse wildlife and the fishing in the Colorado river in the park is very good. We love Grand Lake. There are not as many shops as Estes but also not wall to wall people. As much as we have always loved Estes Park we have not gone back in about 5 years because of the crowds it has just gotten to expensive. Also Rocky Mountain NP will always be our favorite park.
Kenneth

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thom and Thunder Mountain and I pretty much agree except for Trail Ridge some with T M.

I do not recommend it at all for RV's. It is all those things mentioned. People will be over the line and you have no wiggle room. Most of the people that drive it even in a car are not experienced mountain road drivers and white knuckle it and go slow and over the line. And they get out to look at elk some 400 yards away - sometimes leave their car in the middle of the road to do it. And the hairpin turns on the west side nearly mandate an rv in the inside to go well over the middle line.

As far as Winding River. Nice park I think but you are on the west side of the Park with very little going on there. So you drive at least 1 to 1 1/4 hours to get over to the east side for all the activities. And far more than that to get up to the great, highly desired Bear Lake area.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren wrote:
We lived in Estes Park 1995-2003 and the rv parks were fairly nice and a tad overpriced. We have been back twice and will not return. Parks have really deteriorated and prices have skyrocketed. Last time, actually, we stayed in Loveland at Riverview and recommend it....they were flooded out badly a couple of years ago but have done their best to rebuild. I would not stay at any park in Estes.

Yep, we see eye to eye. Lived in EP from 1980 to 2010. Have returned several times in the motor home and our small travel trailer. There is not a campground in or near Estes Park that is not a we pack 'em in place. The rates are outrageous. The only places you might take a look at are Estes Park Campground (East Portal) and Hermit Park operated by the local recreation district. We love RMNP and have many friends there but the crowds and grid lock are not worth it.

I worked for the YMCA of the Rockies for 31 years and second the suggestion for Snow Mountain Ranch. Not a we pack 'em in campgrounds but still not exactly what you are looking for. Lot's of great activities for adults and children.

There are many other places in Colorado just as pretty as EP and a lot less crowded. The Buena Vista area is nice, but again commercial campgrounds with full hookups have to maximize profit.

As for traveling over TRR. It is no bid deal. I've driven everything from a over the road bus, motor home and 33' fiver. Follow a few simple rules. Be at the park entrance by 7-8 a.m. Don't travel on weekends. Just take it easy. There are six sharp curves on the west side of the Divide and you will have to hug the shoulder or yellow line. Biggest issue for me is the white knuckled tourist who drive down the middle of the road because they are terrified of heights.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Winding River looks good. Not too far from RMNP and Winter Park!

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Foy R. Smith wrote:
We camped at Winding River Resort on the West side of Rocky Mountain National Park! Much less crowded!

We camped there dozens of times when we lived in Colorado. Winding River is by far the best campground around. The best sites do not have sewer, but do have water and electric. Tons of hiking, 4 wheeling, horse back riding. ice cream socials, etc. etc.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Foy_R__Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at Winding River Resort on the West side of Rocky Mountain National Park! Much less crowded!
33' Tahoe 5th wheel toy hauler.
1999 Dodge RAM 3500 with 5.9 Cummins, auto , dual wheels

Foy_R__Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Family Reunion at Rocky Mountain National Park. We ended up going on the West side and stayed at 3 Rivers Campground. It is on the Colorado which is just a stream there. It is kinda rustic with some people bringing their horses to camp and ride. Leave your camper and make a day trip through rocky Mountain National Park. It is an easy trip to the Alpine center and on to visit Estes Park. The day we went, it was so crowded you had trouble walking on the sidewalk! The west side also has State Forest Campgrounds, visitor center and towns to shop in or eat out! The prices are much more reasonable! Colorado is a good place to spend some time! Don't forget your camera!
33' Tahoe 5th wheel toy hauler.
1999 Dodge RAM 3500 with 5.9 Cummins, auto , dual wheels

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
1. Moraine Park. Just have a generator to recharge your batteries and use the dump station. You won't miss having hookups. Then Snow Mountain Ranch as was suggested.

2. If you are a calm and confident driver, just take it slow and you'll be fine. Are your brakes reliable with fresh fluid? Don't ride them.

Enjoy Colorado. Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
russkerri wrote:
When I was researching, I couldn't find anything like that in Estes Park. I'm following this thread to see if you get some good tips. We stayed at Spruce Lake about 5 years ago, but since our stay, I've read that it has gone downhill with very rude owners/managers. I don't always believe those kinds of reviews, but the owner/manager has answered back to online reviews with a terrible attitude. Yikes.

The decline is real. The company that owns Spruce Lake also owns Elk Meadows, just up the road. Between the two, I prefer Elk Meadows. But it also has it's shortcomings. I've posted reviews on it at rvparkreviews.com, as well as others in the Estes area.

Your size trailer, based on that pic, might work at East Portal.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgrizzle wrote:
A couple of questions in one thread...

1. Suggestions for campgrounds around Estes Park and Winter Park...looking for a State Park feel with hook-ups (not side by side with no trees).

2. Trail Ridge Road with a trailer....crazy, huh?!

THanks guys!

1 - For Estes Park, you won't find this. Most of the commercial campgrounds are in town, and definitely have an in town feel. And they are very overpriced for what you get. Moraine Park and Glacier Basin in Rocky has that feel. But no hookups, and during the season, they are substantially booked.

There is one campground outside of Estes Park that might work for you. Estes Park Campground at East Portal is in the woods, has a mix of water/electric and FHU sites along with no hookups. It is, however, very tight as far as the road loop inside, with some size restrictions. H E R E is the website for the Estes Park Recreation and Parks Department, they manage the CG. Everything else that's in the general area, that are in trees and some separation of sites, will be USFS sites south of Estes Park along the Peak-to-Peak Highway.

For Winter Park, take a look at YMCA of the Rockies/Snow Mountain Ranch. About as close as you're going to get on that side, with what you're looking for. H E R E is their website; under "lodging", use the drop down and select "campgrounds" for more information.

2 - Yes. Unless you've had experience driving on a narrow shelf road with no guard rails or shoulders, have no fear of heights, don't mind sometimes bumper to bumper traffic, and are prepared to drive in snow/freezing rain all summer months. Others may say it's no big deal. Yes, it is for those not prepared.

ETA: Looking at that rig in your profile, the only sites that MIGHT work at East Portal are along the front of the campground, and those sites are still a bit of a challenge to get into. They are back in sites, and you would have to back in all the way from the office/entrance to get to those sites. On that link I provided for Estes Park Rec and Parks, take a look also at Mary's Lake. Prices for both are the same, and they are the lowest prices in Estes Park -- $40 for W/E, $45 for FHU sites. Mary's Lake however, is not in the woods, the FHU sites are your typical pack 'em in sites, the W/E are all back in sites, with not a lot of separation between them. That said, Mary's Lake is the only place I'll stay in Estes, simply because of the price point. This season, I'm doing the USFS CGs south of town and driving into Rocky.